• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Seriously - get a copy of 'the joy of cooking'. everyone should know how to cook for themselves.
    My mother made sure we could cook and sew. "I will not have my sons getting married for a cooked meal or to get a button sewed on"
    That is part of why I got married.
    ARJ Defense ad

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    The joints for the wings, legs, and thighs are easy to find, a sharp knife and it is done. Separating the ribs and back from the breast is easy as well. To split the breast lay it rib side down, place your knife to either side of the breast bone, press down and through the bone. When I was a meat cutter, I actually preferred a very sharp cleaver for this, cutting up the entire chicken. If you want the breast to be boneless that is easy as well.

Back in those long-gone days, the local Chicken Shack wanted fresh 8 pieces of cut chicken per bird. It was a lot of work, but I did get some magnificent free lunches, the elderly lady was a great cook! Everything was freshly cooked, except the sliced bread and any condiments.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    When I cut 'em up, I get nine pieces. The wishbone is the odd-numberd piece.
    I chunk the entire back & the wing-tips & the neck.

TxMongrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    pontotoc tx
    cutting up a chicken easy. there are dotted lines. you just follow them. - seriously.

Smoking/grilling whole chicken - these days I "SplatchCock" the bird. then throw the back into water and make stock.

I do southern-style fried chicken. double dip the pieces and put them into a cast iron skillet on med-low heat with a little oil (tablespoons) and walk away. don't touch for like 20 min and turn over.

HCF chicken thighs (with bones and skin) are cheapest protein I know. cheaper than a whole bird.

Texas Denali HD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    Irving
    The roasted chickens at Costco or Sam's are much bigger. I usually grab at least a couple to debone and freeze. I figure if I'm gonna dig in and get my hands greasy I might as well do a couple.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    We're about to butcher 25 chickens following the upcoming livestock show. Most chickens sold, beside the stewing hens Baboon mentioned, are only a few months old so it's not a long commitment.

Forget cutting their heads off. Wringing their necks is faster, easier, and no flopping around.

Plucking them is a pain. Some people boil them to loosen the feathers. If you try that do it outside. It's messing & smelly. You're going to have to process many chickens to get your cost below HEB if you factor in time, feed, water, shelter, & dead loss.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I have never butchered a chicken.. Ducks, geese, pheasants many times. A bird is a bird and they all come apart the same. I have taught all my children how to cut up a whole store bought bird. Lately if you get the family packs of legs or thighs it is cheaper per pound than a whole bird.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    We're about to butcher 25 chickens following the upcoming livestock show. Most chickens sold, beside the stewing hens Baboon mentioned, are only a few months old so it's not a long commitment.

Forget cutting their heads off. Wringing their necks is faster, easier, and no flopping around.

Plucking them is a pain. Some people boil them to loosen the feathers. If you try that do it outside. It's messing & smelly. You're going to have to process many chickens to get your cost below HEB if you factor in time, feed, water, shelter, & dead loss.
    So skin them

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    If you want to pluck a chicken I grew up doing it. It's not hard, but it stinks and it takes some time. As an adult I'd choose to pass on it.

boil a large pot of water
    ring the neck - choke if you like it that way..... it's less messy then cutting the head of yet.
    hold by the feet and submerge the chicken into the hot water for about 45 seconds
    pull out the chicken and start yanking feathers, don't grab too big a hand full of feathers or you can tear the skin
    start with the larger feathers, the small down feathers are under them
    as the bird cools dip it back into the hot water. Repeat until done, 6-8 times. It will take several minutes to do a big bird even with practice. I do remember some varieties of chicken harder to pluck than others.

once all the feathers are gone remove head, feet, and guts

I think every American should have to do it once in their life.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom