Join TexasGunTalk

Buy M1 Garand or no

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by viking_in_tx, Dec 7, 2017.

1. TexasBrandon

TexasBrandon TGT Addict

Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I still need to get a M1 Garand to go with my Mini-30, M1A, and M1 Carbine. Just haven't bothered to look or ask for one yet. I'd never pay that much for one though.

2. Tnhawk

Tnhawk New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Southwest TN
    I read that a large number of Garands may be coming from Korea soon. I would pay more than $700 unless it has a value to collectors.

3. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I guessing you really meant woundn't?

4. OLDVET

OLDVET Well-Known

Sep 14, 2010
    Richardson, Texas
    That rumor has been bouncing around for years. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I highly recommend contacting the CMP for your M1 Garand purchase. Most of the time you can request your level of quality when you place an order with them. Each level of quality has it's own price.

Two years ago I ordered a field grade M1 from CMP. I ordered it with new furniture. I paid $650 plus shipping. The rifle looked like a brand new rifle when it arrived. The bluing was perfect.
    I placed a second order for an M1 from CMP. This time I ordered another field grade, but I specified original issue furniture. The second rifle arrived and it still had great bluing, but this time the stock looked like the rifle had been used. Some guy had even carved his initials in the butt stock.

Both rifles were Springfield Armory rifles. The first rifle had all numbers matching components. The second was your typical armory rebuild. Both are highly accurate. Both will bite you if you are not careful. The condition is called the M1 "thumb". If you buy one, you will learn!.

As stated before, unless this M1 has some special pedigree, $1,500 is way too steep. If the woman has paperwork to back up any claims of greatness, then maybe it is worth her asking price. Don't buy on hear say information.

Me, I would go to CMP and make a purchase. If you belong to a qualifying organization like Texas State Rifle Association, CMP will deliver the new M1 directly to your front door. No FFL required.

Be careful with the choice of ammo you shoot in it though if you buy one. Newer ammo is not recommended without modifications to the rifle's gas system.

The M1 is a fun rifle to own of shoot. If you remember your history, Patton called it "the greatest battle rifle ever made"

satx78247 likes this.
  5. viking_in_tx

viking_in_tx New Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Those were the pictures the widow sent me, so I’m not to blame for that :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Symbolic

Symbolic New Member

Oct 11, 2017
    San Angelo
    If buying an M1 Garand through the CMP, you have to order by mail using the specified order form according to their website. However, you can order parts and accessories by phone if they already have your information/verification documentation.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/ordering-information/

7. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

I find the lack of M-1 pictures.........disturbing.
    Do not make me use The Force.

Darkpriest667 likes this.
  8. Orlando

Orlando New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    CMP is the best way to go and has been selling the Turkish returns for several weeks. More Garands coming form the Philippines will be released soon. For $730 delivered to your door you can get a good functioning rifle.
    If you don't want to go the CMP route on the secondary market a good functioning garand can be bought for around $850-$900 if you take your time and look

9. MrBlue

MrBlue New Member

Jun 8, 2016
    More garands pictures please!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. OLDVET

OLDVET Well-Known

Sep 14, 2010
    Richardson, Texas
    Another thing to remember is that most surplus Garands are arsenal rebuilds. That doesn't make them bad, it is just the way they are. Barrels, receivers, and bolts made by various manufacturers at various times.
    An M1 is a fun rifle to shoot. It is a real rifle, which means it has a lot of felt recoil. My M1 was made in 1943. It can shoot better than me.
    Attached is an anomaly for me. This was shot with open sights off of sandbags at Garland Public Shooting range in Garland, Texas a couple of years ago. Disregard the Eagle Peak notation on the target, the owner has two ranges. This will probably never happen again.

Attached Files:

Darkpriest667 likes this.