Capitol Armory ad

Buy My Own Wifi Modem to use with Suddenlink?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I am tired of constantly rebooting the Arris modem that Suddenlink rents me to route my wifi signal. Since I only buy internet and phone service from them, all of my video is over wifi to my smart tv. When I search for Suddenlink compatible wifi capable modems I get a lot of confusing information. Basically, I would like to find a decent modem for around $75 that will broadcast my wifi throughout the house for my smart tv and other devices. I am not really sure if I only need a wifi router or a modem....there is a cable router first in line from the coax that gives me my internet and phone, but although the modem next in line has a bunch of lights for phone, etc. I think it is only serving as a wifi router which means all I need is a router to ethernet plug into the main cable router and then send out my wifi. I am 70 years old so in no way tech savvy and would appreciate any help so I can stop paying $120 a year for the wifi rental and get more consistent service for my streaming video.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    When I had Suddenlink when I lived out in Midland, I just used an old Verizon or AT&T modem I had in the cabinet. Worked fine for me. Then again, I was just running the one computer off it.

Not sure if that helped...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I think ours is a Belkin router from Wal-Mart. Good coverage.
    It's upstairs. We got a remote controlled plug adapter. If we need to reboot, we turn the outlet off, then back on. Stairs are the debil.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Have you done any research to find out why you have to reboot their WiFi regularly? If doing a firmware update fixed it, it would be cheaper and simpler than adding a router.

...which also ought to work, if that first unit (cable modem?) has a WAN port available? You can get decent WiFi routers for as low as $30 or $40 (I like Netgear) and give it a try.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Assuming you are not talking about the cable modem, by all means buy your own wifi router.

I have been very pleased with the ASUS Dual-Band 2x2 AC1300 Super-Fast Wifi 4-port Gigabit Router with MU-MIMO and USB 3.0 (RT-ACRH13). Run several computers, plus phone, plus bluray wifi streaming. $65

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I left Suddenlink today because of all the reboots and intermittent outages. I started with their cable modem at $10 / month, and got tired of rebooting it periodically, so I bought one and saved the $10/month. After 6 months, I had to reboot mine periodically. The neighborhood I live in has a facebook group, and everyone is complaining about Suddenlink’s intermittent outages, and when you call Suddenlink they say unplug the router and plug it back in. I shifted to my electric co-op’s fiber internet today. 500 Mbps up and down, for less than what Suddenlink was charging, and their modem/router is free.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Running a netgear nighthawk C7000 Modem/Router.

Sudden link 400 mbps plan

Speedtest on 5G network
    310mbps Download-41.5 mbps upload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I’m with suddenlink and seriously considered getting my own router/modem and still may one day. I had constant issues the first few times of two different time periods that I was with suddenlink, but, fingers crossed, I guess I bitched enough they finally fixed it because I have few issues now.

I need to check with my co-op, they just rebranded and if they had that good of an ISP option, I’d switch....although the they can’t supply electric without constant outages...but having internet and no electric does me no good lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Everyone around here has problems with Suddenlink. The only other option is Century Link which is worse. I spoke to a Suddenlink tech one time who told me the fiber optic in Bullard was run by an old company before Suddenlink took over and it is not fully compatible with Suddenlink’s technology. That’s why our cable tv does not have On Demand and why I stream video instead of paying for cable.

rexster314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Those Arris routers/modems are the dregs. I was paying 10$ a month rental on Cable One when in December I bought a Motorola modem/router. It's paid for itself and I get faster speeds and rock solid internet now.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Those Arris routers/modems are the dregs. I was paying 10$ a month rental on Cable One when in December I bought a Motorola modem/router. It's paid for itself and I get faster speeds and rock solid internet now.
    May vary by model. My Arris is running at 118 Mbps on service which is supposed to be 100 Mbps. Can't complain about that. And this is with several computers, phones, devices running on the wireless.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom