• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pipe dreams

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2017
    South TX
    Screenshot_20181001-080055.png
    So I have lived in San Antonio 22 months and I put in a bid for a house last Monday. The offer was accepted within a couple hours, and close before October ends. I have lived in the Stone Oak area since moving here and enjoy it. I pick this area due to the school district, NEISD. I've been living there in a "luxury" apartment (lose term here...it's nice but not worth the money). I got the house at a steal at $26k under market value. Once my children finish highschool (elementary and middle school now) I'll prob sell it and move to somewhere outside of San Antonio. I believe homes in the Sonterra area of Stone Oak will appreciate in value very well. Some of the pros about this house and community are the gated with 24 hour security, and the community pool that is on my street and less than 60 second walk to it. The gated entrance actually works and doesn't stay open for anyone to piggyback into the community; the drop bar closes almost immediately after the car goes thru. I have seen the security driving around and when I was there for the home inspection security was at the intersection where one of the school buses dropped of to ensure no cars went thru the intersection or around the bus. I'm not sure if they always do this or if it was just a coincidence. I am a native Texan and have been away from here for far too long. It's good to be buying this home and really settling down here. I'm posting this just to share my experience with TGT.
    Oh and if anyone needs a stand up Realtor let me know; he is a retired military veteran too. I also have a mortgage company that is pretty good with the VA loans. Not sure if all Veterans know, but there is a loan program thru the Texas Land Board (TX Vet home loan) that actually has a lower interest rate than the regular VA home loan guarantee program. The TX Vet loan still uses the traditional VA loan benefit with a lower interest rate, but it does have two separate 1% fees for the TX Vet loan program. Right now the TX Vet rate is 4.58% and 4.08% for disabled Vets at 30% and higher. The TX Vet loan rates only change once a week, every Friday at 5pm. The VA home loan doesn't have a set interest rate and is set by the lender. So when looking at VA home loans be sure to do the numbers on both programs and chose the best one.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Congratulations. Owning a home generally winds up being a good long term deal. I'm not going to help you move though. Lol.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    You are not going to go wrong over there. With that many kids you should have looked at Boerne ISD, some of the best rated schools in Texas, which is the reason why folks are moving here in droves and why I want out, but wife wife won't move to Edwards County because there is no Home Depot, Wal Mart, McD's or a stoplight, in other words nothing there...which is why I want to be there.

pipe dreams

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2017
    South TX
    It's not my first home purchase, but haven't owned in a while. Military life had me moving a lot. Was last in Jersey and I wouldn't buy there with their high taxes! Before that I was in Italy for almost 4 years and sold my house before moving there.
    It's so damn good to be back in the Lone Star State!

pipe dreams

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2017
    South TX
    You are not going to go wrong over there. With that many kids you should have looked at Boerne ISD, some of the best rated schools in Texas, which is the reason why folks are moving here in droves and why I want out, but wife wife won't move to Edwards County because there is no Home Depot, Wal Mart, McD's or a stoplight, in other words nothing there...which is why I want to be there.
    Only two kids in school now. Also my job is in San Antonio with my office being at the airport, so I wanted to be in San Antonio without a long commute. Boerne wasn't an option. Now when they are out of highschool in 10 years I'll see where to go from here.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Only two kids in school now. Also my job is in San Antonio with my office being at the airport, so I wanted to be in San Antonio without a long commute. Boerne wasn't an option. Now when they are out of highschool in 10 years I'll see where to go from here.
    Got it, long haul out there. My buddy works out that way and its a 75 mi daily commute for the past 23 years.

pipe dreams

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2017
    South TX
    Got it, long haul out there. My buddy works out that way and its a 75 mi daily commute for the past 23 years.
    Yuck! No thank you on that daily drive. I already do a lot of driving for work. If I have to go to a remote site it's a two and half hour plus drove one-way. At least I have a company vehicle, so it's not miles on my personal ride.

pipe dreams

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2017
    South TX
    Crazy thing about this house was that it was back on the market on Saturday evening, and I looked at it Sunday. I put in a bid for asking price on Monday morning, and by the afternoon they accepted my offer. Well, they had 8 people look at it Monday, and had 5 other offers come in after the accepted my offer. All of those offers were $15-20k over mine. I was lucky I looked at it SSunday.My agent said that he knew they would take asking price, and that no one else had contacted the seller's agent since it being relisted. The seller was supposed to close on it the previous week, but the buyer backed out just before closing date. The seller had already moved to Germany due to work, so they need to sell asap!
    I'll be in it with already $26k of equity.

Last edited:

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    View attachment 149853 So I have lived in San Antonio 22 months and I put in a bid for a house last Monday. The offer was accepted within a couple hours, and close before October ends. I have lived in the Stone Oak area since moving here and enjoy it. I pick this area due to the school district, NEISD. I've been living there in a "luxury" apartment (lose term here...it's nice but not worth the money). I got the house at a steal at $26k under market value. Once my children finish highschool (elementary and middle school now) I'll prob sell it and move to somewhere outside of San Antonio. I believe homes in the Sonterra area of Stone Oak will appreciate in value very well. Some of the pros about this house and community are the gated with 24 hour security, and the community pool that is on my street and less than 60 second walk to it. The gated entrance actually works and doesn't stay open for anyone to piggyback into the community; the drop bar closes almost immediately after the car goes thru. I have seen the security driving around and when I was there for the home inspection security was at the intersection where one of the school buses dropped of to ensure no cars went thru the intersection or around the bus. I'm not sure if they always do this or if it was just a coincidence. I am a native Texan and have been away from here for far too long. It's good to be buying this home and really settling down here. I'm posting this just to share my experience with TGT.
    Oh and if anyone needs a stand up Realtor let me know; he is a retired military veteran too. I also have a mortgage company that is pretty good with the VA loans. Not sure if all Veterans know, but there is a loan program thru the Texas Land Board (TX Vet home loan) that actually has a lower interest rate than the regular VA home loan guarantee program. The TX Vet loan still uses the traditional VA loan benefit with a lower interest rate, but it does have two separate 1% fees for the TX Vet loan program. Right now the TX Vet rate is 4.58% and 4.08% for disabled Vets at 30% and higher. The TX Vet loan rates only change once a week, every Friday at 5pm. The VA home loan doesn't have a set interest rate and is set by the lender. So when looking at VA home loans be sure to do the numbers on both programs and chose the best one.
    Wow. This sounds Very similar to my situation right now. Im looking at homes in that area until my kids graduate. Maybe I will see you around.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom