• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DalFort

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to get into the AK arena and looking for some advice.
    I'm looking for a basic model like a WASR-10. I've read up on these and know of the pros and cons. I'm looking at these because the funds are pretty limited so a high dollar AK is out. I've found one local which includes 2 30 rd mags, bayonet lug with bayonet, 16" chrome lined barrel, cleaning rod, and a 75 rd drum for $600. My research online shows these, minus the drum, to range from $500 and up.
    My internet research also shows that these use to be $500 and down.
    Do you guys/gals think the market will get better or is this just the way things are now? Should I go ahead and jump on this deal?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
    Venture Surplus ad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Get a Zastava O-PAP, it's about the same price and the better rifle.

I picked up a WASR-10/63 for $350 a few years back, but I doubt we'll ever see those prices again. $500 seems to be the new low mark for AK rifles, and despite rumors that The Kalashnikov Concern (the new name for Ismash) signed a contract to sell 200,000 rifles in the US and Canada every year, I would still recommend buying sooner more than later. It only takes another incident to start another panic...

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    As BC stated they have come down in price (like everything else firearm related) from this time last year. Waiting is rolling the dice, it only takes one political figure to give a speech on banning gun something another, to send the masses into a panicked, gun buying, frenzy. As we witnessed from the Sandy Hook shootings. IMHO, we have at least until the mid-term elections barring any further black gun associated mass shootings until another swipe is made at the firearm industry on a National level.
    Just to add Classic Firearms has a Centurion 39 Milled AKMS for $599.99 and the WASR-10 for $499.99.

DalFort

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Thanks for the replies!
    I don't know anything about the Zastava O-PAP, but I'll definitely look into it.
    Again, the advice is much appreciated.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    This is my understanding, so please do not take it as Gospel;
    The WASR-10 was imported as a single stack rifle (hence the 10 designation). Importation of high cap AK's is not allowed. Section 922r of the old AWB is still in effect. If the rifle has more than 2 of the "evil features" (protruding pistol grip, folding/retractable stock, high cap capable, bayonet lug, flash hider (or the ability to install one via threaded barrel) it cannot have more than 10 imported parts. Converting a WASR-10 to accept standard 30 rd AK mags causes section 922r to take hold. One MUST install some US made parts to replace some of the imported parts or face the ire of the ATF.

Many WASR's were modified contrary to this Federal statute. BE CAREFUL!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    robocop, the flaw in that theory is that if WASRs were imported/modified in violation of Federal law, there'd be arrests because of it; and I can't find one instance of that happening...

Some AKs are brought into the country as single stacks and converted, but legally so. There are hundreds of thousands of WASRs in the US and I have yet to hear of anyone being arrested in violation of 922r.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    As I mentioned, yes. Bud's page just calls it a PAP for whatever reason, but it's an O-PAP

Which is odd, since that nomenclature has been traditionally used to describe the original PAP that had the top rail mount, polymer furniture and most notably, a thumbhole stock...

EAA_Zastava_PAP_1_309009.jpg

The first generation of PAPs had straight cut 1.5mm receivers and used single-stack 10-round magazines, but many had the mag wells opened up to accept standard 30-round double-stack mags (yes, done by Century). This particular conversion was problematic as the rifle retained its single stack bolt which led to malfunctions.

But I also don't agree with the new rifles being referred to as "M-70s," as that designation was used for the assault rifle that became the standard issue weapon in the Jugoslavenska Narodna Armija (Yugoslav National Army) in 1970. M-70s have grenade-launching sights and gas cut-off for launching rifle-grenades, which the O-PAP and N-PAP do not.

Cheers! M2

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    The O-PAP definitely seems to be built like a tank, and I'd trust the AK guys that it is a good rifle for the money. They are heavy as hell though. I'll ask the AK guys this hopefully in the interests of the OP, if an AR guy asked you which AK to get for under a grand that is more tactical-like, lighter, yet still strong and high-quality, retaining military features/components of some of the best AK variations, which would you recommend?

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I'd recommend you hit the gym if you think an AK is heavy; fully-loaded, a stamped-receiver AK's only about a pound heavier than an M4.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    I'd recommend you hit the gym if you think an AK is heavy; fully-loaded, a stamped-receiver AK's only about a pound heavier than an M4.

Ha. No, not really. I think the weight difference is maybe a pound more than what you state, but if the O-PAP was all I could get, I wouldn't be complaining. Just throwing something out there.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The Serbs built heckuva good rifles! Yes, the M70s (I prefer the military models) weigh more than a standard stamped AK; but its comparable to a milled version and the solidness is a good thing. I just had my M70B1 out and it is a tank. Since I doubt any of us is gonna end up humping it for days on end, the weight is really not an issue. If anything, it makes it a better shooter.

All said, I still contend that the best production AK out there is the Saiga SGL series. If you want a light, tight and accurate Kalashnikov and cannot afford a custom build, get one of those. You should be able to find one around a a grand. It is the closest thing to a Soviet-issued AK that we can get in this country...

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom