Buying and EBR right now....

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by O.S.O.K., Nov 13, 2008.

1. O.S.O.K.

O.S.O.K. Member

I keep reading about guys "thinking of getting an AK, AR, FAL, etc" - waiting to get the funds, etc...

Is it not roundly understood that there has been a huge run on these and that there are virtually non to be had right now?

You may be able to scrounge one up or buy one with a 20% increase price... but even those are gone in many places...

Point is if you want one - don't wait!!! A few more weeks and there will be zip. Nadda.

2. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Uh, ok? :confused:

:happy0001:

3. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Some of us can't afford to just buy anything we want at the drop of a dime. After being blindsided (my own fault) by the crash of the real estate market, I've taken a 75% pay cut after having to switch jobs. Now I'm just scraping by. Thanks to the assholes marking their prices up, now it will take me even longer to afford what I want/need. Hell, people are paying $600-700 for crappy Century WASR's! PTR's (what I really want) are up to $1400-1500, a 50% increase from a few weeks ago. AR's are up around $200-400 more. On top of that, I just found out our factory is shutting down for 2 weeks during Christmas, and I'm only a contractor so now I have to get by with only 2 weeks pay. Luckily there are a few places like Academy and some small gun shops around here that have relatively stable prices and haven't been gouging people on them. It looks like what I buy will be at the mercy of what they happen to have in stock (which isn't much).

4. O.S.O.K.

O.S.O.K. Member

Oh I understand not having the cash on hand - been there done that.

I'm just saying that many people don't seem to understand that there won't be much available from now until... well for a long time no doubt and what is will see steady increases in price. After the probably ban - things will be absolutely rediculous.

So, waiting may not work out so well. Selling something that you have to get what you want might be a good way to go - if that's an option.

That's all I'm saying.

Now some are saying that they predict prices will fall again in a month or so, but I don't think so - I think there are a lot people just now getting the "word" on this - non-gunnut types....

And you took a 75% pay cut? Holy cow. No other options? What do you do? You say consultant, which makes me think "computer - network manager, etc.)...

5. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My father just picked up the last converted Saiga in 7.62x39 that Classicarms.us had in stock. I bought an AR over a year ago, so I am set in that area. People really should go buy a lower if they can't afford the whole AR right now. As long as you have the serialized part of the gun it will be a pre-ban configuration if there is one. Plus, they are still less than $250 for a fully assembled one with a butt stock some places. The uppers are going to be more available than a full rifle.

6. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You are assuming a "grandfather" clause.

7. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think even Mr. Obama himself understands that if he tried something like that this nation would come apart at the seams overnight. I'm not really worried about them confiscating firearms at this point, we all know there are plenty of armed citizens in this country. Not to mention, the AWB that has been drafted currently does have a grandfather clause in it.

8. O.S.O.K.

O.S.O.K. Member

Don't shy away from an unconverted Saiga - check this out:

Saiga Conversion

I've done three of these - two of which I still own. One .308 (easily get 2", 100 yard groups with rusky optics and milsurp ammo) and one .223 - very sweet carbine that loves inexpensive steel cased ammo.

Here's the pics:

[​IMG]

223 (before I had the fire control group to install)
    [​IMG]

Both are set to use high cap aftermarket mags - FBMG for the 308 and can't remember the other brand for the 223 - but the 223 would've been fairly easy to conver to take East German mags...

9. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

You have FAR too much faith in your fellow American gun owner.

90%+ would just turn them in.:indifferent0004:

10. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Nope, unfortunately not. Never finished college, never finished classes for a Cisco CCNA certification, screwed myself big time not finishing either of those. Now I'm relegated to "entry level" stuff even though I'm a bit beyond that. ;) Oh well, that's how it goes. At least it's made me start paying attention to my financials rather than just winging it every paycheck. ;)

One things for sure, everyone should be buying everything they can afford right now. Prices aren't going to really drop any more, and especially if the new AWB passes.