• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Who here has purchased a gun online (from either individual or shop)?

Anyone use gunbroker.com?

How does the procedure for online purchase and transfer differ from a F2F sale?

thanks.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I purchased my XD40 service in a bid on gunbroker. The seller was a gunshop in Kentucky. I called them as soon as the auction was closed, paid them over the phone with my debit card, told them the name of the FFL i would use. I then went down to the shop I use, got the copy of their license, faxed it to the seller and they shipped the gun out same day. Picked it up at the shop 2 days later. They still have to go through all the 4473 b.s. and in some ways its a hell of a lot more work (bidding, tracking, faxing, etc.) than just going in to a shop and picking what you want. I got just enough of a deal to make it worth it.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Anyone use gunbroker.com?

I've used gunbroker a lot. Only problem I ever had was with someone that didn't have any feedback. If you ever have boought from ebay, then you shouldn't have nay problems with GB. If the seller has alot of positive feedback, you can should have a good experience.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I would only buy from reputable sellers with a bunch of positive feedback and pay with a postal money order. Any fraud involving a postal money order is a federal offense. There are many great deals on gunbroker.com, just be smart.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I would only buy from reputable sellers with a bunch of positive feedback and pay with a postal money order. Any fraud involving a postal money order is a federal offense. There are many great deals on gunbroker.com, just be smart.

Assuming the worst case scenario: i buy from an individual and receive the wrong item, damaged item or no item at all, Do I have any recourse using a postal money order? I'm accustomed to using paypal for just about everything these days.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Assuming the worst case scenario: i buy from an individual and receive the wrong item, damaged item or no item at all, Do I have any recourse using a postal money order? I'm accustomed to using paypal for just about everything these days.
    There's very little risk in buying from an individual as long as he show's a long positive feedback history. Feedback is golden.

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    gunbroker good, paypal bad

I was under the impression that paypal was still not firearm friendly including ammo. So I quit using them for everything

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Haven't bought from Gun Broker; yet! Found some good deals at GunDealerOnline and they worked out qutie well. Just like Gun Broker; fax FFL from local shop, pay your money, and you have a new gun. Painless and quick.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I was under the impression that paypal was still not firearm friendly including ammo. So I quit using them for everything

Some shop-listings on gunbroker indicate they accept paypal. I'm thinking the average individual just doesn't want to fool with taking the 4% hit.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    PayPal prohibits use for guns and ammo.

See Para 2, item H.

PayPal Acceptable Use Policy - PayPal

Some people get around this by saying to use "discreet" paypal, which means if you use for ammo or a gun, you simply call it something else. The problem with that is, you loose you ability to charge something back if the deal goes bad. I personally would not use it in that way. However, I don't know what Paypal could do to you if they found out. I guess cancel your account.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

In addition to above, Paypal is labeled as "anti 2nd" along with eBay (who owns them now) by the uninformed. The "will" restrict items that have Federal regulations or regulations that are different from state to state because they have to avoid liability and legal hassles. That's why they stopped allowing gun sales on eBay (years ago). But that move opened the door for auction sites who specialize in gun sales. eBay didn't need any more legal issues from illegal sales.

However, for higher dollar items, Paypal is not always a good way to pay, thus sellers tend to not accept it. As a mater of fact, most gun dealers will pass on fees for CC's as well (even though in most states, including Texas, it is against finance code to do so)

cajuntec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    San Antonio TX
    I tried to buy a XD40 from Gunbroker, but it gave me some kind of kick-back. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it wouldn't let me pay for the firearm I wanted to buy. Something about not having enough feedback or paying with a credit card or something like that. I called the dealer that was listed and bought another one from them for the same price. Shipped to my FFL. Easy transaction.
    All the best,
    Glenn

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    Couple months ago I bought an 03A3 on Gunbroker, my first one there. Since I have an 03 FFL, I mailed them a copy along with my payment.

Was a bit disturbed that they appeared to wait nearly a week to ship it after they received my payment and FFL. This was a gun dealer, out of state, so perhaps they took extra time to check me out. I didn't appreciate the delay.

Made note of it on the feedback I gave, although I did give them a Positive, since the rifle was pristine, just as they described it.

If I had to deal with them again, I might have to think about it. If it's a pristine rifle, wouldn't think long.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Not all dealers are able to justify taking the time to ship as they sell. If you need to shipped instantly, you need to ask. Most will ship on certain days during the week. It gives them time to get shipments ready to all be picked up at one time.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Gunbroker.com has a policy that gives you back up to $500.00 if you get burned, just not sure of the specefics.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've bought at least a half-dozen guns online from all over the country, and a wide variety of sellers - some with ZERO feedback. If they have something I want, I get 'em to send me a phone number, and then talk w/'em. You can usually discern who the scammers are - if the price is TOO low, I keep lookin' unless they have a REALLY good reason for it. Because sometimes, folks simply need $$$ quickly - and they'll do almost anything legal to get it. I've got an HK USP 45 an' a High Standard Compact Crusader in my safe right now that I gave $500 for (the pair) from a guy that simply needed cash quickly. I had figured the HS to be a "trade" gun.....then I shot it. Now, NOTHING will convince me to give that li'l puppy up - and I've got some sweet Kimbers & Wilson's to compare it to!

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    internet purchases

I've bought quite a few firearms off the internet. I have really had no problems, and any problem I had was the delivery service rather than the seller. Regarding Paypal (bless their hearts) it is my understanding that if they suspect you are trading guns on their service, they will lock the accounts of both the buyer and seller, and you have hell getting your money back.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom