• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Calbear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Austin
    Lots of folks celebrating this victory over in CA right now. Sure, things still suck there, but at least they didn't just get much, much worse.

http://gov.ca.gov/docs/SB_374_2013_Veto_Message.pdf

To the Members of the California State Senate:

I am returning Senate Bill 374 without my signature.

The State of California already has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, including bans on military-style assault rifles and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

While the author's intent is to strengthen these restrictions, the bill goes much farther by banning any semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine. This ban covers low-capacity rifles that are commonly used for hunting, firearms training, and marksmanship practice, as well as some historical and collectible firearms. Moreover, hundreds of thousands of current gun owners would have to register their rifles as assault weapons and would be banned from selling or transferring them in the future.

Today I signed a number of bills that strengthen California's gun laws, including AB 48, which closes a loophole in the existing ban on dangerous high-capacity magazines. I also signed AB 1131 and SB 127, which restrict the ability of mentally unstable people to purchase or possess guns.

I don't believe that this bill's blanket ban on semi-automatic rifles would reduce criminal activity or enhance public safety enough to warrant this infringement on gun owners' rights.

Sincerely,

Edmund G. Brown Jr.
    Gun Zone Deals

Troysland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Congratulations to all who wrote, called, and emailed the Governor's office. I'm still glad I moved out of that state and landed here in Austin. But as I've been told, I'm just a short drive from Texas.

Top Bottom