• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Had some extra time so I went to Cabela's off of 75. The ammo shelves were full so I thought it was good news that they had so much stock. Turns out that it was just a hodge podge of ammo randomly stacked all over with little rhyme or reason. Abundant 223 everywhere at inflated prices. The more I looked the more I laughed.

Holy Batman did they jack their prices! Even most of the common shotgun target loads were over the top. I looked at all of the calibers I shoot and walked out with just one. They had an ample stock of the Federal 556 XM193's for $9.99 which is borderline in price.

After the initial shock I left the bloated overpriced ammo shelves and went looking around cleaning supplies and other wares. Finally got over to the firearms racks and looked at some of the used stuff they had. Most everything there was also higher in price than just a few weeks ago by $40 and $50 dollar jumps.

Seems Calebla's is a little slow on jacking there prices for the panic aren't they? The store was dead.
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Prices have been inflated at the cabelas near me for a while, but I never considered it the place to find deals.

I was surprised at the price of their shotgun shells though.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Prices have been inflated at the cabelas near me for a while, but I never considered it the place to find deals.

I was surprised at the price of their shotgun shells though.

I have never gone there for deals but ALWAYS walked out with one or two boxes of varying calibers since I was there. A few extra bucks for that instant gratification is okay every now and again. This is the first time I left saying I will make a list and go internet shopping for ammo.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I dunno Just bought a brick of 22 for 33 bucks to the door.

Ouch. I'm still stuck in the past I guess.

Right! I was paying $17 for 525 and questioning if I should do it. lol. Not turning this into a 22 bashing thread since they didn't have any but all of their crap was over priced which is why the shelves were bulging. There were around 10 guys milling around the ammo area all grumbling about the prices and buying just a box or two if that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I pass near Walmart everyday so I try to stop by there and check for ammo. They tend to have the lowest stock and most reasonably prices.

Gonna have to start getting by there in the morning if I want a chance at .22 though.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cabela's jumped off the deep end years ago. It's been several years since they instituted a policy of, IIRC, requiring their sales people to get at least 50% profit out of every used gun, resulting in a majority of used gun prices being at or above NEW gun prices, and when they're below new prices it's usually not more than ~$50. About the only time you find a "good deal" there is when someone that takes in and prices the used guns gets something that's maybe obscure, didn't know what it was, and incorrectly priced it. Pretty ridiculous.

Oh, and Cabela's brand products are some of the cheapest quality, least durable, least reliable products available. I once bought one of their range bags and it was ripped to shreds from normal usage and carrying moderate weights (10-15lbs) within 3 months. About the only thing worth going there for is the buffalo bacon burgers in the cantina, the occasional good deal in the bargain cave that everyone else miraculously missed (not often), or the occasional used gun the sales person didn't have a clue on and incorrectly priced.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Cabela's jumped off the deep end years ago. It's been several years since they instituted a policy of, IIRC, requiring their sales people to get at least 50% profit out of every used gun, resulting in a majority of used gun prices being at or above NEW gun prices, and when they're below new prices it's usually not more than ~$50. About the only time you find a "good deal" there is when someone that takes in and prices the used guns gets something that's maybe obscure, didn't know what it was, and incorrectly priced it. Pretty ridiculous.

Oh, and Cabela's brand products are some of the cheapest quality, least durable, least reliable products available. I once bought one of their range bags and it was ripped to shreds from normal usage and carrying moderate weights (10-15lbs) within 3 months. About the only thing worth going there for is the buffalo bacon burgers in the cantina, the occasional good deal in the bargain cave that everyone else miraculously missed (not often), or the occasional used gun the sales person didn't have a clue on and incorrectly priced.

It's kind of sad since I really like going through their store. Where BassPro went tits up years ago for me I was very happy to have a new Cabela's come in closer than the FW store. Even though it "was" somewhat more expensive I like to buy their hunting clothes they stock since it fits me and the quality (not their stuff) has been pretty good in the field. While there I would buy some ammo. Just some boxes of this and that but nothing in bulk. Enough to satisfy that need to run the 44 Magnum or 22 rifle. Heck, I had never handled a Mosin before they had them on their used rack and I was considering buying one of those at $149 as I would have to pay shipping/ffl fee's somewhere else.

ooP! Not anymore

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, that explains the used gun prices. I always wondered why they were so ridiculous.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Was in there on Thursday night last week and just like you said, ammo shelves full and prices jacked. It wasn't 2 months ago I was grabbing PMC and other 223/556 for 7.99. Saw not one 223/556 for less than 9.99. The rest of their ammo was also stupid high, almost felt like I was standing in freakin Gander Mtn or something. Oh well, Wal Mart has done me well and I have managed to get a couple of 1,000 round boxes of 22's at the Bass Pro in Garland lately, and Academy sometimes has a good deal now and then.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It wasn't 2 months ago I was grabbing PMC and other 223/556 for 7.99. Saw not one 223/556 for less than 9.99.

The current Cabelas mailer (received in the mailbox two days ago) has PMC .223 at $7.99.

Nothing at Cabelas is priced right unless it's on sale. Each end of season, (like around the end of April or early May) the fire sale all of their winter clothes, usually in a tent or racks outside. A few years back, I picked up a NorthFace jacket for around $15, and a rain jacket with hood for $8.

Ammo: I don't have a big problem paying a bit of a premium for defense ammo, since I don't shoot much of it and if they have it available. If I'm there already and need/want some, I'll buy it. Practice ammo is a different deal. I've bought some of that Herter's nylon coated 9mm for I think around $12 - $13 for a 50 box. Not the $9.99 WWB used to be at Wally-World but I think that's the new norm. I think it shoots better than WWB BTW.

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    I went into a Cabela's once and thought every employee had a hunchback. I was incorrect though. It was their asses just matching up with how high everything else in the store was.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If Cabela's, Wal Mart, Bass Pro, and others had raised their prices after the Mad Rush, it would have stabilized the ammunition market.

They had the misplaced fear that higher ammo prices would turn away customers.

Plenty of people bought over-priced ammo from flippers at gun shows, flea markets, and on-line.

If higher retail prices at just $70 for a bulk pack were put into place, not a single flipper would have the motivation to buy low and sell high.

Here's the logic: Store price $70. Flipper price $75. Flipper can't break even over $5 a box when he has to pay people to stand in line at Wal Mart or Academy, fuel costs, gun show/flea market table price, lodging, food & beverage.

Just the way I see it.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    The time to stock up at cabelas is when you get the employee discount coupons. Bought a yeti after Christmas with the employee discount and saved $86 on a 75 qt cooler. Reg price was the same at every other retailer I looked at. Also saved a few bucks here and there on ammo, most were about 2 or under per box. I also saved on clothing. Spent about 600 and saved around 120 with the discount.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Here's the logic: Store price $70. Flipper price $75. Flipper can't break even over $5 a box when he has to pay people to stand in line at Wal Mart or Academy, fuel costs, gun show/flea market table price, lodging, food & beverage.

Just the way I see it.

I still don't get the flipper business model. Maybe a few quick bucks, but I believe that is waning. No one is buying a big ass house in Boca with those profits. I don't work that hard at it, but I've got all of the ammo I want/need. Even .22 although I mostly buy match grade ammo which itself carries a higher price and scares a lot of bulk "plinkers" off. 9mm/.40/.45 has gone up, there is no getting around that. The $8 Wally-World cheap ass 9mm stuff is now $12 - $13. That's not going to change so just get used to it. Reloading components have also gone up, so you can't reload 50 rounds of 9mm for $4 anymore. Sad, especially the .22 which was always our fall back for cheap shooting.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Cabela's has always been high. Before the crunch I had never bought ammo there unless it was a big sale. But during the crunch, they were the only ones that had a crap ton of ammo, at the previously high prices, which in view of the shortage, was the new really good price.

Compare the $12 for Herters 9mm vs the $9 Walmart price for a comparable box of ammo. Only Cabela's has a ton of it, while you have to go to Walmart at 10:30 at night to MAYBE find it. In the last year I have bought thousands of $ of ammo at Cabelas, because they had it. And in most cases it was cheaper than getting scammed at a gun show, and took less time than driving to a bunch of Academies and Walmarts.

I was happy to pay their price in order to have ammo to shoot.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    If Cabela's, Wal Mart, Bass Pro, and others had raised their prices after the Mad Rush, it would have stabilized the ammunition market.

They had the misplaced fear that higher ammo prices would turn away customers.

Plenty of people bought over-priced ammo from flippers at gun shows, flea markets, and on-line.

If higher retail prices at just $70 for a bulk pack were put into place, not a single flipper would have the motivation to buy low and sell high.

Just the way I see it.

Lol I LOVE that point.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As soon as prices came down again the rush would renew with everyone trying to rebuild a stash, and it would start the same scenario we have been dealing with.

The only way that option would work is if prices never came down.

Top Bottom