Called ATF on Friday to check status on some cans

rgwalt

Jan 27, 2013
Houston Heights
I called the ATF on Friday to check the status on some submissions. I purchased a can back in late September. Check was cashed on October 1. Then the gov shut down. The Form 4 went pending on 11/14, and the ATF quoted me 9 months. So hopefully mid to late August 2014 I will get my stamps.

I also purchased a can in early October, just after the shutdown. It was eFiled on 10/19 (went pending immediately), and the ATF quoted me 4 months. It'll make a great Valentine's day gift to myself! (Kestrel 5.56)

I eFiled a form 1 on December 4th. Didn't have the serial number, so I'm going to call them back after the beginning of the year to check. I'm hoping 4 months on it, too.

R

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
Jun 24, 2012
Kyle
Why do people waste the NFA branch's time calling them about eforms? You can see what the status is online as you stated, leave them the hell alone so they can deal with everyones forms.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
Jun 24, 2012
Kyle
I was talking about the form 1 he plans to call in on. I see posting all over the place about calling to check the status on their eform 1s when all they have to do is check online. You get an email when its been approved or disapproved, eforms are running 90-100 days, theres nothing else they can tell you.

bryonbush

Jul 17, 2010
Terrell
why call? oh maybe its because they lost mine and didn't tell anyone and if it wasn't for me calling finding out they needed a new copy of my trust, i probably wouldnt have my can...

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
Jun 24, 2012
Kyle
why call? oh maybe its because they lost mine and didn't tell anyone and if it wasn't for me calling finding out they needed a new copy of my trust, i probably wouldnt have my can...
Was it an efiled form 1? I bet not, because you wouldn't know anything was wrong with it past the point of it going into pending status until you got a disapproval email. Totally different than mailed in forms that you cant check the status of yourself.

Last edited:

Nortex

May 4, 2013
Republic of Texas
I've been keeping an eye on this website. Seems like e-filed are holding around 3 months, but suspect things will slow some for Christmas.

http://www.nfatracker.com/

I do wish the eform site had some different fields or more specific "time remaining" updates. Oh well, watched pot never boils.

kozmic

Dec 9, 2013
Why do people waste the NFA branch's time calling them about eforms? You can see what the status is online as you stated, leave them the hell alone so they can deal with everyones forms.
+1

There is nothing else they can tell you once you've received confirmation that your eFrom is "in process" and "submitted". Even if they do tell you "three months", "four months", or "six months" ("six" being the most common response for eForms), this is still only an estimate.

Even if they tell you "three months", it can still take six and vise versa - just depends on how quickly they get through them... to call and ask for estimates of eFrom completion/approval is a COMPLETE WASTE of your time and THEIRS.

For eForms, unless you are having a problem with the submission, just monitor the eForms site and let them do their jobs. :)

Last edited:

kozmic

Dec 9, 2013
Jesus, what the hell people? Could you try being more constructive instead of jumping down my throat for making a damned phone call?
No one's jumping down your throat... we are simply suggesting that you (and others) stop calling the ATF for "updates" on eForms as it does nothing to enhance your process and you cannot even get any real estimate anyway, while at the same time it does slow down ATF's overall processing capabilities...consider that you are 1 of somewhere about 20k eForms that have been submitted and estimate the amount of time answering even just this one simple question for each of them...

No need to take it personal... simply monitor the eFroms website for progress as had been suggested time and time and time again on this and other NFA-related websites...and be happy when they finally get to yours... :)

Before eForms, a lot of dealers would suggest (after sending in the paperwork) that you just completely forget about the item until you either receive your stamp or a correction letter. But with paper forms, there is at least legitimate reasons for checking the status (forms received, payment cashed, pending status, etc) - not so with eForms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom