• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I called the ATF on Friday to check the status on some submissions. I purchased a can back in late September. Check was cashed on October 1. Then the gov shut down. The Form 4 went pending on 11/14, and the ATF quoted me 9 months. So hopefully mid to late August 2014 I will get my stamps.

I also purchased a can in early October, just after the shutdown. It was eFiled on 10/19 (went pending immediately), and the ATF quoted me 4 months. It'll make a great Valentine's day gift to myself! (Kestrel 5.56)

I eFiled a form 1 on December 4th. Didn't have the serial number, so I'm going to call them back after the beginning of the year to check. I'm hoping 4 months on it, too.

R
    Capitol Armory ad

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Why do people waste the NFA branch's time calling them about eforms? You can see what the status is online as you stated, leave them the hell alone so they can deal with everyones forms.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I was talking about the form 1 he plans to call in on. I see posting all over the place about calling to check the status on their eform 1s when all they have to do is check online. You get an email when its been approved or disapproved, eforms are running 90-100 days, theres nothing else they can tell you.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    why call? oh maybe its because they lost mine and didn't tell anyone and if it wasn't for me calling finding out they needed a new copy of my trust, i probably wouldnt have my can...

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    why call? oh maybe its because they lost mine and didn't tell anyone and if it wasn't for me calling finding out they needed a new copy of my trust, i probably wouldnt have my can...
    Was it an efiled form 1? I bet not, because you wouldn't know anything was wrong with it past the point of it going into pending status until you got a disapproval email. Totally different than mailed in forms that you cant check the status of yourself.

Last edited:

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    I've been keeping an eye on this website. Seems like e-filed are holding around 3 months, but suspect things will slow some for Christmas.

http://www.nfatracker.com/

I do wish the eform site had some different fields or more specific "time remaining" updates. Oh well, watched pot never boils.

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    Why do people waste the NFA branch's time calling them about eforms? You can see what the status is online as you stated, leave them the hell alone so they can deal with everyones forms.
    +1

There is nothing else they can tell you once you've received confirmation that your eFrom is "in process" and "submitted". Even if they do tell you "three months", "four months", or "six months" ("six" being the most common response for eForms), this is still only an estimate.

Even if they tell you "three months", it can still take six and vise versa - just depends on how quickly they get through them... to call and ask for estimates of eFrom completion/approval is a COMPLETE WASTE of your time and THEIRS.

For eForms, unless you are having a problem with the submission, just monitor the eForms site and let them do their jobs. :)

Last edited:

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    Jesus, what the hell people? Could you try being more constructive instead of jumping down my throat for making a damned phone call?
    No one's jumping down your throat... we are simply suggesting that you (and others) stop calling the ATF for "updates" on eForms as it does nothing to enhance your process and you cannot even get any real estimate anyway, while at the same time it does slow down ATF's overall processing capabilities...consider that you are 1 of somewhere about 20k eForms that have been submitted and estimate the amount of time answering even just this one simple question for each of them...

No need to take it personal... simply monitor the eFroms website for progress as had been suggested time and time and time again on this and other NFA-related websites...and be happy when they finally get to yours... :)

Before eForms, a lot of dealers would suggest (after sending in the paperwork) that you just completely forget about the item until you either receive your stamp or a correction letter. But with paper forms, there is at least legitimate reasons for checking the status (forms received, payment cashed, pending status, etc) - not so with eForms.

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    We are being constructive, quit bothering the NFA branch about stuff they themselves have no idea about much less that you can look up yourself. Case in point the 4 month on eforms, its running damn near to the day of 93 days. Call your SOT to find out if the form 4s were accepted, if the charge hit your account then you know it went through. You wont find out there is a problem with an eform until they actually review it at which point the examiner cant make any changes due to the new shitty system and your form will be disapproved. You will then have to resubmit with your corrections and wait the 3ish months all over again.

So yes you are making ONE phone call but theres thousands of other tards right behind you to ask the same damn question when the assistants time could be spent gathering more info to make the examiners job easier/faster. You rarely get to talk to an examiner anyway and all of the employees at the NFA office have standard answers for everything so with a simple search you could find out what they are saying.

Kozmic pretty well covered the rest, the time it takes is the time it takes, does it really matter what that number is? You calling does nothing but slow the process down.

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    ...if the charge hit your account then you know it went through.
    Just to be 100% accurate, "a charge going through" does not actually mean that an eFrom has been completed/finally submitted. Two problems with this one:

1) For Form 4's, some dealers, since the transferor must submit the Form 4 and make payment, take a $200 payment by credit card paid directly to the dealer and then turn around and pay the $200 tax payment out of their own account. Obviously, in this case, the charge would hit the customer's account well before any actual tax payment would be made to the ATF and form finally submitted.

2) Perhaps a little less apparent... The final step for filing an eForm (for either a Form 1 or Form 4), on the "Certify" tab, is to click 'Sign & Submit' and then confirm, but before that option even becomes available to select, the $200 payment must be paid by clicking the "pay" button and following the instructions for making payment. I had a dealer "pay" directly with my CC on an eForm filed Form 4, but he failed to then click the now available (after paying) "Sign & Submit" button until a week later when I asked him to log in and print me off a copy of my submitted Form 4 for my records. This was the first eForm he had submitted. So, in this case, the charge hit my account a week before the Form 4 was finally submitted, and I do not know if I would have ever found out about it without re-checking with the dealer on that one.

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I've called the ATF no less than 10 times in the last couple days trying to find out the status of my applications. I'm just really anxious to get them approved.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Just to be 100% accurate, "a charge going through" does not actually mean that an eFrom has been completed/finally submitted. Two problems with this one:

1) For Form 4's, some dealers, since the transferor must submit the Form 4 and make payment, take a $200 payment by credit card paid directly to the dealer and then turn around and pay the $200 tax payment out of their own account. Obviously, in this case, the charge would hit the customer's account well before any actual tax payment would be made to the ATF and form finally submitted.

2) Perhaps a little less apparent... The final step for filing an eForm (for either a Form 1 or Form 4), on the "Certify" tab, is to click 'Sign & Submit' and then confirm, but before that option even becomes available to select, the $200 payment must be paid by clicking the "pay" button and following the instructions for making payment. I had a dealer "pay" directly with my CC on an eForm filed Form 4, but he failed to then click the now available (after paying) "Sign & Submit" button until a week later when I asked him to log in and print me off a copy of my submitted Form 4 for my records. This was the first eForm he had submitted. So, in this case, the charge hit my account a week before the Form 4 was finally submitted, and I do not know if I would have ever found out about it without re-checking with the dealer on that one.
    Again we are talking about eform 1s, and if you don't finish the process online then you have no one to blame but yourself. When I submitted mine it was plain as day. When you submit you get a payment confirmation email then an application confirmation email with your permit/control number so you know it went through. What is so damn hard about this? If there is something wrong with your eform youre screwed anyway because the examiner cant make changes to it so they will issue a refund and you can start the game all over again once you correct your errors.

The simple solution to form 4s is buy from a dealer that knows WTF theyre doing. Case in point the thread right up here with this one where obviously silenced America is dropping the ball just like they did with their handling of the 41P. Silencer Shop sends you an email with your serial numbers when you purchase followed up by an email when the eform 4 is received by the NFA. They know what theyre doing and have had to multiple occasions argue for their customers about inconsistencies in the approval process. It helps when you buy from the big dog on the block as they know all the examiners well.

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    Again we are talking about eform 1s, and if you don't finish the process online then you have no one to blame but yourself. When I submitted mine it was plain as day. When you submit you get a payment confirmation email then an application confirmation email with your permit/control number so you know it went through. What is so damn hard about this? If there is something wrong with your eform youre screwed anyway because the examiner cant make changes to it so they will issue a refund and you can start the game all over again once you correct your errors.

The simple solution to form 4s is buy from a dealer that knows WTF theyre doing. Case in point the thread right up here with this one where obviously silenced America is dropping the ball just like they did with their handling of the 41P. Silencer Shop sends you an email with your serial numbers when you purchase followed up by an email when the eform 4 is received by the NFA. They know what theyre doing and have had to multiple occasions argue for their customers about inconsistencies in the approval process. It helps when you buy from the big dog on the block as they know all the examiners well.
    Yeah, I was only talking about eForms, perhaps you missed that... and my second point represents a reason to follow up with one's dealer - not the ATF... unfortunately, not all dealers "knows WTF theyre doing" the first time they go through the process... chill the "F" out dude... you're wrong on the payment status... an eForm (Form 1 -or- Form 4) can be "paid" but not "submitted" and to tell people otherwise just causes more confusion for those new to the eForm process. You get a payment confirmation and you get a separate confirmation when the eFrom is "submitted/in-process".

Your "payment received" confirmation comes from: paygovadmin@mail.doc.twai.gov
    Your "submitted/in-process" confirmation come from: eforms.notifications@atf.gov

And yes, Silencer Shop is awesome - I have two cans on order with them right now... they are not the dealer I referenced above... :)

Lastly, your suggestion to "buy from a dealer that knows WTF theyre doing" doesn't work in this case - the SOT I ordered from is the only SOT who builds the particular equipment I was purchasing - so... no shopping around for better service unfortunately....

Regards,

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Yeah, I was only talking about eForms, perhaps you missed that... and my second point represents a reason to follow up with one's dealer - not the ATF... unfortunately, not all dealers "knows WTF theyre doing" the first time they go through the process... chill the "F" out dude... you're wrong on the payment status... an eForm (Form 1 -or- Form 4) can be "paid" but not "submitted" and to tell people otherwise just causes more confusion for those new to the eForm process. You get a payment confirmation and you get a separate confirmation when the eFrom is "submitted/in-process".

Your "payment received" confirmation comes from: paygovadmin@mail.doc.twai.gov
    Your "submitted/in-process" confirmation come from: eforms.notifications@atf.gov

And yes, Silencer Shop is awesome - I have two cans on order with them right now... they are not the dealer I referenced above... :)

Lastly, your suggestion to "buy from a dealer that knows WTF theyre doing" doesn't work in this case - the SOT I ordered from is the only SOT who builds the particular equipment I was purchasing - so... no shopping around for better service unfortunately....

Regards,
    Did you even read my post or are you one of the many these days with reading comprehension problems? I clearly stated you get two separate emails once everything is being processed. Ive got 3 eform 1s in progress, Im well aware of what happens. 99% of people don't buy specially made cans or specialty integral setups. Everyone cant be as cool as you but my statement covers 99% of NFA buyers. Please reread my post as many times as it takes for you to understand I posted damn near the exact same thing as youre apparently trying to correct me on.

Rick858

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, TX
    Take heart....you are in the club!

I bought a Gemtech can in January, 2013. Took delivery 3rd week of November thanks to the FEDS delay. Sent the barrel of the pistol to Gemtech but they are so busy I won't see it till February.

Hope I live long enough to squeeze off a few rounds!

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Just got two tax stamps (e-filed Forms 1) approved today (via email).

Submitted 19 Oct, 2013
    Approved 21 Jan, 2014
    Signed by Dana Pickles

I never called them.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Question: I submitted on the 16th and got the the eforms.notification email but not the payment confirmation. Should I be worried, or does that come when it's approved?

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I dont think you can finish the submission without payment so if you got a conformation with a number then you should be good to go.

I am no expert tho :)

Top Bottom