Calls

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by lonestar, Nov 25, 2009.

1. lonestar

lonestar Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brownwood, Texas
    What are you guys currently using for predators calls? I'm trying to lure some coyote maybe some hogs in the El Paso area.

2. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The wounded rabbit is always a good choice. And a howler to locate them.

3. Sniper John

Sniper John Member

Aug 22, 2009
    North Texas
    I like and use the Haydels Jackrabbit call.
    I think it may be called a baby jackrabbit distress call.
    Cheap and has plenty of volume.

4. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Thats pretty much what I use also jackrabbit distress call I think a diff. brand though but works pretty good. One thing to think about only happened once but was standing in the back of a truck calling and heard something fly pretty close to my head, which turned out to be a horned owl kinda freaky.

5. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I have a 3 call set by E.J. Sceery that I have been using for years. It has a jackrabbit for windy days that really reaches out there, a cottontail call for calm days or fairly close up work and a squeaker for really close up work.

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think the Haydel's has a squeaker on it not sure tho. I have a howler that would howl and do the wounded rabbit but I think I broke it playing around. LOL. I'd suggest getting a cheap wounded rabbit/squeaker combo then sit at the house and play with it till you figure out how to use it. If you're yote hunting remember to get the full camo out, the yotes have great eyes.

7. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    In my experience hog calls are crap. If a hog hears a squealing hog or piglet, they know something bad is happening and will run in the other direction.

I have had people tell me that sometimes if they are stalking boars when sows are in heat that grunting will get them to grunt back in challenge, but only sometimes, and that they usually will haul ass in the opposite direction.

just my :2cents: { I do have some expertise in this field}

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yes hog calls are a waste of money! But they will come in every no and then to predator calls. I don't know why but I have seen them all bull charge a fox pro.

9. Hawghauler

Hawghauler Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Horned owl tastes a lot like bald eagle

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    LOL