• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The 308 is fine although it is a little on the big side for yotes it will be fine. 22-250 is an excellent choice as is the 243/6mm, 25-06, 223, and the 204. The 204 is great I got to shoot one on saturday and it has no kick at all.
    side note: A testimony to my marksmanship i cut a fence with the 204 at 30 in the dark! LOL!
    Texas SOT

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I like the exposed reed calls personally like the one in the top left corner
    [URL]https://shop.primos.com/c-19-predator.aspx[/URL]
    And I've heard great things about that hand held call with the sound cards that was posted earlier. But I feel I get more of a sound range with the exposed reed. The other calls work good to and I use them I just like the other style better.
    More links, https://shop.primos.com/c-20-randy-anderson-calls.aspx
    https://shop.primos.com/c-20-randy-anderson-calls.aspx?pagenum=2
    I really like diaphragm calls I might need to get some of those and give them a whirl but I haven't tried any yet, but I'd like to.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I just found these to, you will want a mouse squeaker but you can get those out of a dogs squeaky toy for cheaper most of the time.
    [url]https://shop.primos.com/c-23-predator.aspx[/URL]
    I like to have a squeaky, rabbit or jack rabbit call, and a howler. Remember that the howler is mostly to get their attention and locating, howell a few times and then start the wounded rabbit or whatever distress call about 15 minutes latter. Or do the wounded rabbit call and then the howler. which ever is working. It'll be a trail and error learning process each time you go out just practice your calls so you don't have to pause in the middle of a sequence or have a glitch pop up. and when starting on a distress call start of soft and work up to loud you never know where a yote might be suiting. And full camo is a must gloves face mask the works and sitting in front of brush is better than sitting behind it, you silhouette better from behind cover (weird I know but trust me on this one.) And if you're buying a rifle for this don't get a shiny one, get a matt finish if at all possible. Some will get the stainless finish (like the 204 i shot this weekend) and some will go with a full camo gun. I would just get a black gun, if you feel you must camo a gun (again Tailor your equipment and and tactics to the area and situation yote hunts are often fast paced) then there are sticker kits you can get or you can make your own from old camo/dark clothing that can be cut and tied anywhere on the riffle. I'd say from the bolt to the muzzle is all that is necessary. And get a bi-pod or good sturdy shooting sticks for your rifle this way you can keep your rifle more ready without have to move to much. Movement = no yotes.

lonestar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Brownwood, Texas
    Are yotes color blind as deer are? If so, night hunting really wouldn't give you much of a tactical advantage. I've seen many hunters using IR/night vision to hunt them at night.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Isn't a .308 a lil' big for yotes? I was thinking maybe like .223. But then again, i've never seen the after-effects of a .308 on a hog.

The .30 cal's are great on yotes thats why most company's offer a varment bullet or load for them. Might want to be carefull with the .204 they don't like wind much at all.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Deer aren't color blind. They see colors differently than we do, they pic up UV rays different than we do but they're not color blind. And I don't know how yotes see colors but I do know that one tiny little movement will send them into the next county if they catch it and figure it out.
    Hunting at night is just out of necessity most of the time as in some areas they don't move during the day. I had a friend that used a NV scope to hunt them at night we usually used a red spot light.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Sounds like a good yote set up. So the calls aren't distorted or anything they're good and clear? Practice calling on the neighbors dog it's a blast until they figure out who was doing it. LOL!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    If I get to go up to seanbart1's place around the 1st I'll pm you and see if we can meet up? I'm waiting on a pm or something and I'll know if the wife and I are going or not. If not I just remembered that I have farmers in the family down around San Antonio that used to have pigs I'll talk to them Christmas eve and see if they still have some runnin around. I might as if they've got yotes to.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'll do that. He hasn't wrote back yet but we'll see what develops. I just got the Primos lil'dog and I'll be getting the hot dog when academy opens again. LOL! I'm out of practice and I need to learn these calls but after do I'm set.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    BTW the wife bought me this for Christmas and I've played with it and I think it will work very well when I get the patterns down enough to hunt with it. It's the little dog I want the hot dog now. Then all my calling needs will be met for the most part. I can't wait to try it out in the feild.
    95944.jpg

Top Bottom