• ...and so much more!
  • Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Howdy!

Anyone ever use these one inch target spots? I grabbed an old hard drive box and taped a sheet of printer paper to it and then stuck on five spots and out the door I went. About a mile down the road and into the woods past the cemetary. You know the place! ;)

Paced off 50 yards and walked back and leaned on my car and blasted away at it. Just awful! It was a combination of my breathing and the heat. The longer I was out there, the hotter I got and my breathing threw me off target. I think I need to make some adjustments to the scope (move it forward on the gun and away from my face) and practice more.

Here's a target from last week with the same symtoms. :banghead:
    0117.jpg

Any comments or advice?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The group on the bottom right is about what the Marlin will do in my experience. The one in the center looks like shooter error. Bottom left looks like good shooting, maybe some heat issues, or too aggressive on the trigger. Upper left and right look fine to me, besides the fliers.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I agree with Alan.
    I own one of those little Marlins and a lot of fun.
    I have an old Tasco 3x9x33 on it.
    Had the same issues.
    I cut about 1 1/2in off the stock and shortened it up.
    Now it fits perfect to the shoulder. No searching for the sight picture in the scope and because it pulled the gun closer into my center of gravity it tighten the groups up where you can sit and cut that little stick on target out of the paper or have on ragged hole in the center.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The ammo you are using can also effect accuracy. I think the fliers are shooters error, but with the right ammo, I think you can get tighter groups than that. I can coax my 40 year old 39A to group within the size of that dot at 50 yards if I'm using sub sonic ammo like Remington Standard Velocity Target loads. That's 2 MOA and most quality .22 rifles can do that. Of course that's from a supported shooting position and a full sized 1" scope. If I shoot some of the bulk pack .22 (like Goldens) that opens up quite a bit.

hangtree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    South Texas
    All the above info is sure helping me to learn a lot. One of the things I like about this forum.

Me? I prolly would have just gotten bigger red dots.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I found the smaller the dot = better groups.;)

That's why I bought those one inchers. Beyond 50 yards, those little dots look like.... little dots. Very little.

I broke the trigger group down and cleaned it when I first got it. Also cut 1 1/2 loops off of the trigger spring. Major improvement. It is lighter but I'll finish the trigger job when I have time. I'm aiming for somewhere around 3 lbs. It's probably around 6 or 7 now but before I opened it up it was at least 12. I could pick the rifle up by the trigger without it firing. (unloaded of course) ;)

redfred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    La Porte
    When I was a kid, my dad used to take me and my brother to the city dump to shoot rats to get ready for deer season. I complained that rats are a lot smaller than deer, and he said, "Aim small, miss small", meaning that if in your mind the target is really tiny, a near miss is still a miss, but if the target were bigger, a shot at the edge of the target would still be a hit. So we got used to shooting at really small targets, and it improved our aim.
    I was at the range the other day, and there was a guy shooting his pistol at what I thought was a plain white sheet of paper. When I looked closer, I saw that he had stuck a bunch of little stick-on dots about 1/4" in size, and all of his shots were very close to the dots. My older eyes and lack of experience made me keep shooting at the standard 6" targets with the 1" bull.

Top Bottom