• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Such a rabbit hole for what may be the best beginner camera. Right now it’s looking like the Nikon 3400.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Such a rabbit hole for what may be the best beginner camera.
    The argument over full-frame SLRs is heated but conceptually clear - Canon vs. Nikon.

Once you go mirrorless, it's more than a rabbit hole. It's the minotaur's labyrinth; inescapable and you wind up getting eaten.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The Nikon D3400 is not what you want. It is a 10 year old model, mostly plastic. A d7000, d7200 or d7500 would be better choices and the can be had for reasonable prices often with a two lens kit package.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Here's something to keep in mind about crop sensor cameras. Lenses on them do not behave totally like on a full frame camera or 35mm camera. Because the sensor is smaller, it is using only the center of the lens which means the angle of view is narrower. Therefore, a 100mm lens on a Nikon DX camera behaves like a 150mm lens. It appears to magnify more and the depth of field is apparently shallower. There is nothing wrong with that but you have to remember the crop factor which is 1.5. So a 24mm lens times 1.5 equals 36mm or about the same as a 35mm lens on a full frame camera.

There are advantages to this on the long end. If you need a super telephoto, say a 600mm on a full frame camera, you can get a 400mm for the crop sensor and have the same effective performance.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    It looks like you are headed to the used market. While ebay is a source for used cameras, I don't recommend it for novice camera buyers. B&H Photo, Adorama Photo and MBP camera are three companies I recommend. All of them grade their used equipment fairly. In fact usually their gear is better than the claim. One thing you need to be sure of is that any Nikon gear is the US model and not the grey market or "import" model. Nikon will not service any but the US models and I don't blame them.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Any opinion on brands? Brains shared briefly. I’m looking at Nikon d series and Panasonic LUMIX.
    I had a D90 and a D7000, and they took excellent images and videos. They aren't full frame though.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    It looks like you are headed to the used market. While ebay is a source for used cameras, I don't recommend it for novice camera buyers. B&H Photo, Adorama Photo and MBP camera are three companies I recommend. All of them grade their used equipment fairly. In fact usually their gear is better than the claim. One thing you need to be sure of is that any Nikon gear is the US model and not the grey market or "import" model. Nikon will not service any but the US models and I don't blame them.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    FYI, Nikon has a refurbished Z50 2 lens kit on sale for 999.99 which is a good deal. Current generation mirrorless camera with most of the features of their full frame Z6 and Z7 cameras. Refurbished from Nikon could mean it was sold and returned, open box or returned and fixed.

I have bought refurbs and can recommend them.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    The D500 and D850 have been available in limited quantities.

My D700 is over 10 years old..still takes great pictures when I do my part. Heck even my older D200 is no slouch… I picked up another D200 with a midrange shutter count for $70 recently for a friend getting into Digital. Tossed in a 50mm f1.8 lens and there was a starter set for under $175.

last year I picked up a low shutter count D2x on eBay for $135 shipped. Body has some character to it but I don’t hesitate to take it places where I don’t want to risk the D700.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This thread is making me feel bad about the Rebel T3 my wife had been using for close to 10 years now.

Might have to try to swing a Christmas upgrade for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    This thread is making me feel bad about the Rebel T3 my wife had been using for close to 10 years now.

Might have to try to swing a Christmas upgrade for her.

This thread has turned into a huge amount of information for me.

I was considering the rebel t7 used. Or the Nikon 3400 used. Now that’s changed to a used Nikon d7500 or a new lumix g85.

After being all over the place with my reasoning, I realized it’s not a bad idea to set my self up for the future. The g85 is a really affordable mirrorless. On top of that if I wanted to make videos why not hit two birds with one stone? So that eliminated the rebel. It’s little things like not having an audio jack. For not being 4K the rebel still looks like it produces quality video. But canon is also phasing out lenses. They seem slow to give a budget camera features I can find in say a lumix.

Nikon is still a solid choice with the d7500. It’s just more money. For the price of a used one, I can get a g85.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thanks to this thread I decided to upgrade my wife from a Rebel T3 to an EOS R6.

Got her a lens adapter for her current EF lenses and one lens on order. Hopefully I can work on getting her a set of L series Lenses over the next couple years.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Thanks to this thread I decided to upgrade my wife from a Rebel T3 to an EOS R6.

Got her a lens adapter for her current EF lenses and one lens on order. Hopefully I can work on getting her a set of L series Lenses over the next couple years.

I will buy my camera after the new year. I don’t like crowds. 4 day weekend and stores will be filled with people. I’ll be buying from a store so I can look at product in person. Best Buy has almost identical prices to Amazon and the mail carriers are terrible lately.

That R6 is their latest mirrorless correct?
    Upload some pictures.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I will buy my camera after the new year. I don’t like crowds. 4 day weekend and stores will be filled with people. I’ll be buying from a store so I can look at product in person. Best Buy has almost identical prices to Amazon and the mail carriers are terrible lately.

That R6 is their latest mirrorless correct?
    Upload some pictures.

It’s not the latest. R5 is the newest out with a 45MP sensor. Otherwise pretty much the same as an R6 other than having a display on top for modes. And higher res displays. But substantially more expensive. R6 has the 20mp sensor from the Latest DX1.

I believe there is an R3 as well, or on the way, that’s more geared towards video. But can’t swear by it.

Will get some pics after my wife leaves in a little bit. Can’t let her catch me playing with her toys, lol. Hoping to sneak out with it and catch some birds and wildlife.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, had to run up the road and meet someone so I perfectly missed those few magical minutes right at sunset. I tried to grab a few pics of my nephew on the zipline afterwards but didn't balance the shutter speed and ISO very well, and stupidly shot close to F6 so not fair, lol. Will try again tomorrow.

Got this on the front porch on my way in though.

Original:

ORIGINAL C61A0274.JPG

After a couple minutes in LightRoom.
    C61A0274.jpg

Probably should have shot it a litter darker and brought the light up instead of vice versa. But this is with around 5 minutes of experience with the camera...and I had dirt in my eye, and slept wrong last night. Crap, that's my list if excuses for the range...anyways.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Well, had to run up the road and meet someone so I perfectly missed those few magical minutes right at sunset. I tried to grab a few pics of my nephew on the zipline afterwards but didn't balance the shutter speed and ISO very well, and stupidly shot close to F6 so not fair, lol. Will try again tomorrow.

Got this on the front porch on my way in though.

Original:

View attachment 296259

After a couple minutes in LightRoom.
    View attachment 296260

Probably should have shot it a litter darker and brought the light up instead of vice versa. But this is with around 5 minutes of experience with the camera...and I had dirt in my eye, and slept wrong last night. Crap, that's my list if excuses for the range...anyways.
    Wow Lightroom does a lot.

Top Bottom