Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wow Lightroom does a lot.

I just brought down the highlights some to get the sky back and make the lights look a little better, added just a little shadow or maybe contrast so the front porch area would be darker, and did a tiny bit of noise reduction because I had the ISO higher than it needed to be (which is why the sky was a little blown out in the original).

Noise reduction probably wasn’t really necessary, but I have a habit of zooming in way to far looking for problems, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Wow Lightroom does a lot.

Lightroom is a digital darkroom.
    Sometimes it is just a tweak on white balance and maybe a little dehaze and vibrance. Other times it takes a lot of work to save an image. While you can work with jpegs you can do more with the raw file as that is the data as the image sensor sees it. The jpeg from the camera puts in little changes to make a pleasing image based on your camera settings.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I am a Nikon guy since 1963. My digitals are all Nikon. I don't do pictures that wiggle (video) so keep that in mind. If I was looking for a new camera or camera system I would look at Fuji or Olympus. They are 4/3 camera but have the same resolution as most of the full frame cameras. Nikon has a couple that have over 30 megapixels but unless you intend to severely crop you don't need them.

Really we need more info as to what you will be shooting, uses for the images, editing software you have or will get and a bunch of other information before we can give good recommendations.

That said, Adobe has a monthly subscription for photographers that includes Photoshop and Lightroom for $10 a month. Whatever camera you get will have some free software too.
    That's some good advice , there.
    Then you can talk LENSES, and what portion of your total budget to spend on glass.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    That's some good advice , there.
    Then you can talk LENSES, and what portion of your total budget to spend on glass.
    The camera body in some cases might only represent 10% of your budget. All depends on how serious you are and what types of pictures you'll be taking.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I perfectly missed those few magical minutes
    Y'know, my working definition of "photographer" is someone who's fascinated by light and what it shows us. I'm no longer working as a photographer but I can't help myself. When I look out the window and see a perfect "golden hour" in the evening, I'll drop whatever I'm doing and just walk outside and stand in the street, soaking it in.

"Golden hour" usually lasts 5 minutes, 15 if you're lucky. But I've known crews to screw off all day waiting for it and then produce masterpieces in that little sliver of time.

Sometimes I miss those days.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Lenses are more important than the camera. With all the things in the lens bodies I tend to prefer OEM glass if they are optically good enough.,

Most of my glass is the trinity of f2.8 lenses. The 14 to 24, 24 to 70 and the 70 to 200. Oops almost forgot my 105 macro lens.

I want Z7ii but can't justify it. Before I buy that, I need I get rid of my d610 and d750.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have this inbound, a Smena-2 GOMZ USSR 35mm camera!

1640658621986.jpeg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The camera body in some cases might only represent 10% of your budget. All depends on how serious you are and what types of pictures you'll be taking.

Yep. My next goal will be a 24-70 F2. Hopefully by the end of the year.

2 more stops of light (and much better glass) runs about $3,100. If she didn’t make a little money at it and have a chance to grow as a business I couldn’t justify that kind of spending though. The relatively cheap lenses are usually enough for the tinkering around that I do. Much more important when money is changing hands and certain picture have to be good.

No skin of my nose if a picture of a jackrabbit isn’t perfectly crisp.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Y'know, my working definition of "photographer" is someone who's fascinated by light and what it shows us. I'm no longer working as a photographer but I can't help myself. When I look out the window and see a perfect "golden hour" in the evening, I'll drop whatever I'm doing and just walk outside and stand in the street, soaking it in.

"Golden hour" usually lasts 5 minutes, 15 if you're lucky. But I've known crews to screw off all day waiting for it and then produce masterpieces in that little sliver of time.

Sometimes I miss those days.

It was looking perfect this evening. Sun was breaking through the clouds with loads of God rays.

Tried to rush but when I got back the clouds had filled in and the sun was gone.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Let me add my 2 cents. I didn't read all the replies so this may have been covered. Find the lenses you want and get the body to match. If you like what Cannon brings to the table then get a good Cannon body. The same is true for Nikon and others.
    I chose Nikon way back. Look out for the lens mount and get lenses that are the same.
    I have several bodies and the newest one is a D7100. It can work with all of Nikon's lenses going back 40 years. I don't think Cannon has that interchangeability. I have many modern and old lenses that are all excellent.

I do lots of research on lenses and often find them for a bargain on eBay. Its good to search for "Nikon film camera" and lots of times people will sell a film body AND the lens for next to nothing. Throw the body away and keep said lens.

If you want to do real up close macro then a cheap starter is a reversing ring to mount the lens on the body backwards. This will get you a huge magnification at the cost of automatic functions of the lens.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Let me add my 2 cents. I didn't read all the replies so this may have been covered. Find the lenses you want and get the body to match. If you like what Cannon brings to the table then get a good Cannon body. The same is true for Nikon and others.
    I chose Nikon way back. Look out for the lens mount and get lenses that are the same.
    I have several bodies and the newest one is a D7100. It can work with all of Nikon's lenses going back 40 years. I don't think Cannon has that interchangeability. I have many modern and old lenses that are all excellent.

I do lots of research on lenses and often find them for a bargain on eBay. Its good to search for "Nikon film camera" and lots of times people will sell a film body AND the lens for next to nothing. Throw the body away and keep said lens.

If you want to do real up close macro then a cheap starter is a reversing ring to mount the lens on the body backwards. This will get you a huge magnification at the cost of automatic functions of the lens.
    I’ll most likely be getting a lumix g85. New.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Managed to get out tonight at sunset and get a few shots. All shot as Jpegs. Put a raw filter on to edit the lighting for comparisons to Raw vs edited since it offers more, still limited a little by the Jpeg format when saved though. All shot with the RF 24-105 F/4 that comes as a kit lens with the R6.

As taken
    C61A0473.JPG

Edited in Photoshop 2022, lowered highlights and shadows, increased clarity, very light saturation bump, and light vignetting.
    Sunset Edit.jpg

This was created from 5 shots with about 50% overlap.
    Doesn't want to inbed so hopefully this works: https://texasguntalk.com/attachment...296450/?hash=06d8a08d5f5cc51b5f4c62c73f701ad3

And with similar edits as before:

Not tring to sway you at this point, just wanted to post the pics I was trying to get last night, lol. Not bad for a rookie that just steals his wife's camera when she's not home.

Had to lower the quality on the panoramas for the forum to take them. apparently the limit is somewhere under 20Mbs. Not sure if it will be noticeable, probably not.

Attachments

• Untitled_Panorama-21.jpg
      4.1 MB · Views: 54
    • Untitled_Panorama-2 Edit1.jpg
      5.8 MB · Views: 61

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Managed to get out tonight at sunset and get a few shots. All shot as Jpegs. Put a raw filter on to edit the lighting for comparisons to Raw vs edited since it offers more, still limited a little by the Jpeg format when saved though. All shot with the RF 24-105 F/4 that comes as a kit lens with the R6.

As taken View attachment 296446

Edited in Photoshop 2022, lowered highlights and shadows, increased clarity, very light saturation bump, and light vignetting.
    View attachment 296448

This was created from 5 shots with about 50% overlap.
    Doesn't want to inbed so hopefully this works: https://texasguntalk.com/attachment...296450/?hash=06d8a08d5f5cc51b5f4c62c73f701ad3

And with similar edits as before:

Not tring to sway you at this point, just wanted to post the pics I was trying to get last night, lol. Not bad for a rookie that just steals his wife's camera when she's not home.

Had to lower the quality on the panoramas for the forum to take them. apparently the limit is somewhere under 20Mbs. Not sure if it will be noticeable, probably not.
    No worries. Thank you. Very informative.

Top Bottom