Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Nikon. They have the best glass.
I'm a Nikon diehard from the days of my first Nikon F but it's debatable if they still have the best glass.

If the OP is starting with a clean sheet and really wants an SLR, Canon is probably the better choice. The glass is probably as good, they have some interesting lenses, and the cameras always seem to be one step ahead of Nikon in features and pro support.

That said, I'll definitely stick with Nikon. I have way too many lenses to switch. The last time I contemplated switching was over 40 years ago and I nearly went all in on Contax. Boy, did I dodge a bullet there. :)

Rhino

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jan 22, 2009
DFW Area
Any opinion on brands? Brains shared briefly. I’m looking at Nikon d series and Panasonic LUMIX.
Different brands have different strengths and weaknesses. I run 5 different brands for different applications in my business. Currently, the Canon gets used for ground shoots, while the Nikon is our primary aerial camera. Then you get into specialty stuff like 360 photo and video, stabilized action cameras, and all kind of niche' stuff.
Sounds to me like you ought to get a one-or-two generation back camera to play with, then when you figure out what you'll mainly use it for, sell it and figure out which brand will give you the most advantages for your most frequent application(s). I picked up a barely used Nikon 7200 a while back off of a college student on Craigslist for roughly $500 with three lenses included. I'd try to find something like that to play with, maybe buy another lens or two, and go from there.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
I’m gonna probably be going against some of the grain here, and it’s only my opinion. No issues if someone wants to tell you I’m wrong.

Unless you’ve just got the money to burn I don’t think it’s necessary to pay over 1k to get started. If astrophotography is something to try a full sensor matters a lot, otherwise you get precropped images due to the way the camera mounts. But then the camera cost is only the tip of the money iceberg.

Learning how to use the camera means way more than having the newest top of the line camera. If you the money is just there, sure. You can dive in deep. Or just get one of the Cannon Rebels and start learning how to use the settings to get the results you want. Use the money saved for just whatever you want.

As far as Photoshop goes, Photoshop Elements is the non subscription version. Got it packaged with Adobe Premiere for around $100 iirc. Works great. Most of the other software does require subscriptions though, like after effects and Lightroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Feb 19, 2015
If all you want to do is work on photographs, Adobe Lightroom is the way to go rather than Photoshop.

Used to be able to buy Lightroom, as opposed to rent, but I bought my copy years ago.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 15, 2013
As far as Photoshop goes, Photoshop Elements is the non subscription version. Got it packaged with Adobe Premiere for around $100 iirc. Works great. Most of the other software does require subscriptions though, like after effects and Lightroom.
I hear good things about the Affinity products; cheaper than Adobe too.

Sam7sf

6.5 bruh
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Apr 13, 2018
Texas
I’m gonna probably be going against some of the grain here, and it’s only my opinion. No issues if someone wants to tell you I’m wrong.

Unless you’ve just got the money to burn I don’t think it’s necessary to pay over 1k to get started. If astrophotography is something to try a full sensor matters a lot, otherwise you get precropped images due to the way the camera mounts. But then the camera cost is only the tip of the money iceberg.

Learning how to use the camera means way more than having the newest top of the line camera. If you the money is just there, sure. You can dive in deep. Or just get one of the Cannon Rebels and start learning how to use the settings to get the results you want. Use the money saved for just whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember when the rebel line first came out. I was interested in it then and after considering your opinion I’m considering it again. It’s not really behind at all from some of nicer Nikons in its class.

So my knowledge needed refreshing and when I started this thread, though his intentions are good, my boss (who has a background with film) had me considering things that turned out to be false. By mistake no doubt. Using video with these cameras is not what I’m looking for. With that said and reading more about the changes in technology, my options grew.

Sam7sf

6.5 bruh
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Apr 13, 2018
Texas
I also may not truly need a full frame camera. The rebel is looking more up my alley.

I don’t really like wide angle shots for nature. Yes I’ll want some for myself but for professional work it reminds me of a painter producing hotel wall art, you know?

Top Bottom