• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I am a Nikon guy since 1963. My digitals are all Nikon. I don't do pictures that wiggle (video) so keep that in mind. If I was looking for a new camera or camera system I would look at Fuji or Olympus. They are 4/3 camera but have the same resolution as most of the full frame cameras. Nikon has a couple that have over 30 megapixels but unless you intend to severely crop you don't need them.

Really we need more info as to what you will be shooting, uses for the images, editing software you have or will get and a bunch of other information before we can give good recommendations.

That said, Adobe has a monthly subscription for photographers that includes Photoshop and Lightroom for $10 a month. Whatever camera you get will have some free software too.
    I don’t plan on doing anything that needs a lot of zoom. Most of what I used to do was with a macro lens. I see myself starting out with one macro and one fixed.

The work helped my dad with was close ups for plant samples for research and just having fun with general nature/animal pictures.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    The money is in the lenses…so you gotta decide if you want Nikon, Canon or some other compatibility.

IMHO sticking to the two above will yield the most lens and accessory options, which helps keep prices sane as many third-party brands also make stuff for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The money is in the lenses.
    The choice of available lenses is also important.
    With a full frame camera the number of lenses that offer a full frame image is reduced….as in less to choose from.
    If you get a camera with a crop sensor the you can use both style lenses (DX for Nikon crop sensor, FX for Nikon Full Frame).
    Additionally, if you get a body that has the focus drive motor in it, then you can autofocus the older D style lenses as well as the newer AF-S style lenses with the motor in the lens. (Nikon data only, not sure how it is with Canon)
    In many ways the crop sensor camera is your best bang for the buck with more lenses available to choose from.

The Full frame non pro bodies to look at depending on your budget are D750 and D850. They are still pricey. I have an older D700 full frame that is a great camera..

I prefer using the camera for still images…that is why non of mine do video.

Every one of my Nikons I have bought used..currently have 3 digital bodies and 1 film. They can all use the same lenses.

Once you get into the high megapixel full frame cameras you will find they show you which lenses have faults…so you end up chasing better glass…
    good glass = money
    Good fast glass = more money
    The glass is the most important part other the the person behind the camera.

Excellent resources include DPreview.com, Dxco, and others.
    Thom Hogan reviews and documents Nikon gear for a living and has a ton of good info. If you look at Ken Rockwell’s site be sure and have a few good chunks of rock salt in hand. You can tell he is very biased.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Ken Rockwell is .... something. He's something. Not one to take advice from, in my opinion.

Definitely a master of search engine optimization though, I'll give him that.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The money is in the lenses.
    The choice of available lenses is also important.
    With a full frame camera the number of lenses that offer a full frame image is reduced….as in less to choose from.
    If you get a camera with a crop sensor the you can use both style lenses (DX for Nikon crop sensor, FX for Nikon Full Frame).
    Additionally, if you get a body that has the focus drive motor in it, then you can autofocus the older D style lenses as well as the newer AF-S style lenses with the motor in the lens. (Nikon data only, not sure how it is with Canon)
    In many ways the crop sensor camera is your best bang for the buck with more lenses available to choose from.

The Full frame non pro bodies to look at depending on your budget are D750 and D850. They are still pricey. I have an older D700 full frame that is a great camera..

I prefer using the camera for still images…that is why non of mine do video.

Every one of my Nikons I have bought used..currently have 3 digital bodies and 1 film. They can all use the same lenses.

Once you get into the high megapixel full frame cameras you will find they show you which lenses have faults…so you end up chasing better glass…
    good glass = money
    Good fast glass = more money
    The glass is the most important part other the the person behind the camera.

Excellent resources include DPreview.com, Dxco, and others.
    Thom Hogan reviews and documents Nikon gear for a living and has a ton of good info. If you look at Ken Rockwell’s site be sure and have a few good chunks of rock salt in hand. You can tell he is very biased.
    I’m eyeing the D850.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The 850 is a great camera but keep in mind that mirrorless cameras like the z system are the future. Nikon will probably stop repairing the DSLR cameras in about 5 years. That said, you can get some good deals on Nikon DSLRs right now. Nikon is having a sale and then there is the used market.

Uglyhedgehog has some used Nikon gear for sale. A D750 and various glass.

If you want a macro, the Nikon 100 f2.8 is great and there is also a Tamron 90mm that is very good also.
    Keep an open mind on zooms. The Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 is wonderful for landscapes to portrait. A good walk around lens.

I have one that I use on my d750 and my Z6-2 with the FTZ adapter. I also have the 100mm macro that works on both.
    My z only lenses are the 24-70 f4, the 14-24 f2.8 zoom and the 70-200 f2.8 zoom.

I also have a D610 that I could part with. Very slightly used.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Any opinion on brands? Brains shared briefly. I’m looking at Nikon d series and Panasonic LUMIX.
    I've got a Nikon D3200 which is close to 6 years old I think and it still takes fantastic pictures. The lenses for Nikons generally speaking are more than the same level on a Canon since the auto focus mechanism is located in the body, where Nikons autofocus motor is located in the lens itself if I remember correctly.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I've got a Nikon D3200 which is close to 6 years old I think and it still takes fantastic pictures. The lenses for Nikons generally speaking are more than the same level on a Canon since the auto focus mechanism is located in the body, where Nikons autofocus motor is located in the lens itself if I remember correctly.

Certain Nikon bodies had the motor in the body but could also use the AF-S lenses with the motor in the lens. The bodies without the motor in the body can only use manual focus lenses or the AF-S lenses.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Nikon. They have the best glass.
    I'm a Nikon diehard from the days of my first Nikon F but it's debatable if they still have the best glass.

If the OP is starting with a clean sheet and really wants an SLR, Canon is probably the better choice. The glass is probably as good, they have some interesting lenses, and the cameras always seem to be one step ahead of Nikon in features and pro support.

That said, I'll definitely stick with Nikon. I have way too many lenses to switch. The last time I contemplated switching was over 40 years ago and I nearly went all in on Contax. Boy, did I dodge a bullet there. :)

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Any opinion on brands? Brains shared briefly. I’m looking at Nikon d series and Panasonic LUMIX.
    Different brands have different strengths and weaknesses. I run 5 different brands for different applications in my business. Currently, the Canon gets used for ground shoots, while the Nikon is our primary aerial camera. Then you get into specialty stuff like 360 photo and video, stabilized action cameras, and all kind of niche' stuff.
    Sounds to me like you ought to get a one-or-two generation back camera to play with, then when you figure out what you'll mainly use it for, sell it and figure out which brand will give you the most advantages for your most frequent application(s). I picked up a barely used Nikon 7200 a while back off of a college student on Craigslist for roughly $500 with three lenses included. I'd try to find something like that to play with, maybe buy another lens or two, and go from there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’m gonna probably be going against some of the grain here, and it’s only my opinion. No issues if someone wants to tell you I’m wrong.

Unless you’ve just got the money to burn I don’t think it’s necessary to pay over 1k to get started. If astrophotography is something to try a full sensor matters a lot, otherwise you get precropped images due to the way the camera mounts. But then the camera cost is only the tip of the money iceberg.

Learning how to use the camera means way more than having the newest top of the line camera. If you the money is just there, sure. You can dive in deep. Or just get one of the Cannon Rebels and start learning how to use the settings to get the results you want. Use the money saved for just whatever you want.

As far as Photoshop goes, Photoshop Elements is the non subscription version. Got it packaged with Adobe Premiere for around $100 iirc. Works great. Most of the other software does require subscriptions though, like after effects and Lightroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If all you want to do is work on photographs, Adobe Lightroom is the way to go rather than Photoshop.

Used to be able to buy Lightroom, as opposed to rent, but I bought my copy years ago.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    As far as Photoshop goes, Photoshop Elements is the non subscription version. Got it packaged with Adobe Premiere for around $100 iirc. Works great. Most of the other software does require subscriptions though, like after effects and Lightroom.
    I hear good things about the Affinity products; cheaper than Adobe too.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’m gonna probably be going against some of the grain here, and it’s only my opinion. No issues if someone wants to tell you I’m wrong.

Unless you’ve just got the money to burn I don’t think it’s necessary to pay over 1k to get started. If astrophotography is something to try a full sensor matters a lot, otherwise you get precropped images due to the way the camera mounts. But then the camera cost is only the tip of the money iceberg.

Learning how to use the camera means way more than having the newest top of the line camera. If you the money is just there, sure. You can dive in deep. Or just get one of the Cannon Rebels and start learning how to use the settings to get the results you want. Use the money saved for just whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I remember when the rebel line first came out. I was interested in it then and after considering your opinion I’m considering it again. It’s not really behind at all from some of nicer Nikons in its class.

So my knowledge needed refreshing and when I started this thread, though his intentions are good, my boss (who has a background with film) had me considering things that turned out to be false. By mistake no doubt. Using video with these cameras is not what I’m looking for. With that said and reading more about the changes in technology, my options grew.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I also may not truly need a full frame camera. The rebel is looking more up my alley.

I don’t really like wide angle shots for nature. Yes I’ll want some for myself but for professional work it reminds me of a painter producing hotel wall art, you know?

Top Bottom