Patriot Mobile

Cameras are more computer than machine these days - Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I'm not sure I agree with me, now that I've done some more research. I was thinking of a D2 variant. D3 bodies, used, in good condition, are still selling for over $2K right now. D700 bodies are bringing over $1500. That's more than I want to spend.

TundraWookiee, there's no need to nag your friend on my behalf. Thanks for the offer.

27,000 ISO...

Lol

Well how much do you wanna spend?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well how much do you wanna spend?
    Since I'll need to replace my old flash, I'm budgeting $1K for a body and flash. I see no need for a better camera than a 3100 unless I want to make the leap to full-frame.

Part of me just wants to go back to my F5 and have the lab digitize my film at initial processing. I really do love that camera. However, the low (essentially non-existent) per-shot price of digital has me hooked. It's a major change from back in the 1970s when I knew that every time I pressed the shutter release on my 6x7, I had just spent $3 for film, processing, an 8x10, and a 40-mile drive to and from the lab. Now I can shoot idiotically large numbers, edit for content, edit for composition, and show only a small fraction of the total. I've gotten addicted to that workflow, so I guess I'm a digital guy now.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    If you're happy with the 3100 then go for it...still an excellent camera. The D7000 was worth the jump up for me in order to get weather sealing and an autofocus motor but depends on your needs/wants. The only sure thing is that full-frame is a big money game.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ah, crap. I just saw the new Nikon Df that's shipping this month. There's no way I want to spend $3K. However, I'm going to have to spend a while drooling, paralyzed into indecision. I'll need a bit of time to work the lust out of my system before I'll be able to commit to something I can actually afford. ;)

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Ah, crap. I just saw the new Nikon Df that's shipping this month. There's no way I want to spend $3K. However, I'm going to have to spend a while drooling, paralyzed into indecision. I'll need a bit of time to work the lust out of my system before I'll be able to commit to something I can actually afford. ;)

I still think a used d3 is the way to go. You'd never have to buy another one again...

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Just a reminder to keep an eye on Black Friday deals. I saw Best Buy listing the D7000 for $800 when it's regularly priced at $1600.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just a reminder to keep an eye on Black Friday deals.
    I've been deliberately doing some semi-buying (putting equipment in the shopping cart and doing everything short of actually completing the sale) to troll for offers and my mailbox is filling with interesting stuff. Black Friday is almost certainly when I'll buy and since I'm flexible on what I actually get I feel sure I'll wind up with a decent price.

But not on a Df. ;)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Interested to find out what you decide
    I decided I'd continue to shoot film with my F5, allowing me the incredibly satisfying experience of using my old friend with my great glass and the flash I grew to love.

With that decision made, the need for a Nikon-mount SLR became optional.

I also internalized the fact that I left the frenetic worlds of weddings, football sidelines, club event coverage, and political rallies behind me a long, long time ago. As much as I hate to face up to getting old, those times are never coming back. These days, I mostly take informal pictures of people and scenery. Some sort of all-in-one would suffice. If a smartphone camera were good enough, I might choose it. However, I'm not convinced that day has come.

So I chose a Fuji X100S. Time will tell if I did something smart or stupid.

x100sa_zps238a22db.jpg

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I used to be a camera nut. I had Nikon, Leica, Pentax (when they were still good) and too many others to list. I found that when I spent a $1000.00 on a camera, within 2 years you could buy a pocket camera that took pictures as well. On spur of the moment deal I bought a pocket camera. I still had my SLR, but I used it it less and less. Why? It is aways a hassle to drag the camera around. I was always worried about it getting stolen, or damaged. The pocket camera became my primary camera because... I could throw it in my pocket and not worry about it.
    Plus, because they were 1/3 the cost, I could upgrade 3 times as often and not feel ripped off. If I lost it, or broke it, pull out the SD card and move onto the next one.
    The percentage of photos that I take that require an SLR equivilent has diminished, since the quality of the pocket cameras has drastically improved.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...Pentax (when they were still good)...
    I could be perfectly happy with a good handheld meter and one of these:

Pentax_6times7_MU_zps881a7c70.jpg

However, it has three drawbacks. It's as big as my head. The cost-per-shot is stupid high. And even I'm not willing to give in so completely to my hipster side.

But I hear what you're saying. There was a time when the classic cameras really were classics and not disposable plastic computers with glass on the front.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I decided I'd continue to shoot film with my F5, allowing me the incredibly satisfying experience of using my old friend with my great glass and the flash I grew to love.

With that decision made, the need for a Nikon-mount SLR became optional.

I also internalized the fact that I left the frenetic worlds of weddings, football sidelines, club event coverage, and political rallies behind me a long, long time ago. As much as I hate to face up to getting old, those times are never coming back. These days, I mostly take informal pictures of people and scenery. Some sort of all-in-one would suffice. If a smartphone camera were good enough, I might choose it. However, I'm not convinced that day has come.

So I chose a Fuji X100S. Time will tell if I did something smart or stupid.

x100sa_zps238a22db.jpg
    Good choice! You picked a camera that is highly accepted by the camera community. My last two camera's have been Fuji. They were from the EXR series and not highly rated by the camera communty. They could take a crappy picture if you did not know how to use it. However it could also take amazing photos, when set up correctly. The camera is just an instrument, it is not any better than the person shooting the picture.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I could be perfectly happy with a good handheld meter and one of these:

Pentax_6times7_MU_zps881a7c70.jpg

However, it has three drawbacks. It's as big as my head. The cost-per-shot is stupid high. And even I'm not willing to give in so completely to my hipster side.

But I hear what you're saying. There was a time when the classic cameras really were classics and not disposable plastic computers with glass on the front.
    Now this is camera that you buy for a lifetime, or that was the expectation when you bought it. Now that cameras are technology based, and built in China, it would be difficult to expect more than a 5 year lifetime....

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Woot has a really cool camera for sale today only.
    It is a Lytro Light Field camera. What makes it different is that it takes pictures at a variety of focal lengths at once, and allows you to compose your shot later during editing. You can select the focal point during editing and adjust the subject to suit your photographic needs. For $169.00 on the high end or $129.00 on the low end it is a facinating camera for photograpers.
    It has an 8x zoom and 1024x1024 pixel photo. Instead of pixels it captures megarays with the light field sensor.
    there is not any other camera that works like this that I know of. For the price, if you are a truly getting an impressive device. Hasselblad crowd need not apply... :)

I have no connection with Woot.com whatsoever. but they do offer some good daily deals.

https://www.lytro.com/basics/

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Instead of pixels it captures megarays with the light field sensor.
    That technology was first demonstrated...a decade ago? I can't remember but it's been a long time. It's nice to see that it's finally become a real product. Still, not interesting to me.

And, yeah, woot is amazing sometimes. I used to be a fanatic but drifted away.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That technology was first demonstrated...a decade ago? I can't remember but it's been a long time. It's nice to see that it's finally become a real product. Still, not interesting to me.

And, yeah, woot is amazing sometimes. I used to be a fanatic but drifted away.

+1

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Got on the ground the other day too shoot a HS kids grad shots. The wife had to help me get up. This getting old sucks. That said, I still love Fujifilm cameras. I still run an old S2 Pro often. Have a couple of their point n shoots and they are great. Keep shooting.

profound thinking about stuff

Top Bottom