Venture Surplus ad

Cameras are more computer than machine these days - Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My Nikon F from the mid-1960s still works fine. I feel sure my F5 will be of use to some student photographer 50 years after I'm dead.

However, my first digital SLR, a D40, died on me at Hicksville this weekend. I turn it on, with fresh batteries, and get a "whir-click-whir-click" cycle but no shutter firing, no mirror flipping. The problem has been getting worse and worse. I have to "reboot" it by turning it off and back on to get it to work. This only succeeds maybe 1 out of 5 tries and then only for a few frames before the cycle begins again.

I realize the D40 was a low-end model. I also know that digital SLRs are more computer than camera. Based on my reading, the consumer-grade models are considered semi-disposable.

I'm having problems with that concept.

Anybody got a suggestion for my next DSLR? I know plenty of you have some very nice kit. I'd like something that is compatible with my SB-28 flash but, according to the NikonUSA web site, it won't do TTL flash metering with any current DSLR. My old lenses cover exactly the ranges I most use...but they would require stepping up to a full-frame sensor. The entry level for a full-frame, recent Nikon is the D600 (discontinued, but available as a refurb for $1500) or a D610 (current model, ~$2000). The cheapest Nikon TTL speedlight for any of these would add ~$120.

It's been over 30 years since I made my living full-time as a photographer so those numbers feel like a big commitment to me, maybe bigger than I'm willing to make.

I'm seeking input from any avid amateurs. A re-furbed and/or low-end Nikon for less than $500? Or have y'all found the bigger iron (especially the ability to shoot video) worth the extra money? Or is there a screaming bargain to be had somewhere out there if I just abandon my lifelong Nikon fixation?

TIA
    Hurley's Gold

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    D800 user here. It's a work camera ... I couldn't afford to buy it.

my personal camera is a D70 and has been a work horse. I bought my daughter a D3100 last year for Christmas and have heard no complaints.

Sadly what I use most often is my samsung galaxy phone. Takes great snapshots.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Most consumer products are built to be "disposable" these days. Kinda sucks.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    My Nikon F from the mid-1960s still works fine. I feel sure my F5 will be of use to some student photographer 50 years after I'm dead.

However, my first digital SLR, a D40, died on me at Hicksville this weekend. I turn it on, with fresh batteries, and get a "whir-click-whir-click" cycle but no shutter firing, no mirror flipping. The problem has been getting worse and worse. I have to "reboot" it by turning it off and back on to get it to work. This only succeeds maybe 1 out of 5 tries and then only for a few frames before the cycle begins again.

I realize the D40 was a low-end model. I also know that digital SLRs are more computer than camera. Based on my reading, the consumer-grade models are considered semi-disposable.

I'm having problems with that concept.

Anybody got a suggestion for my next DSLR? I know plenty of you have some very nice kit. I'd like something that is compatible with my SB-28 flash but, according to the NikonUSA web site, it won't do TTL flash metering with any current DSLR. My old lenses cover exactly the ranges I most use...but they would require stepping up to a full-frame sensor. The entry level for a full-frame, recent Nikon is the D600 (discontinued, but available as a refurb for $1500) or a D610 (current model, ~$2000). The cheapest Nikon TTL speedlight for any of these would add ~$120.

It's been over 30 years since I made my living full-time as a photographer so those numbers feel like a big commitment to me, maybe bigger than I'm willing to make.

I'm seeking input from any avid amateurs. A re-furbed and/or low-end Nikon for less than $500? Or have y'all found the bigger iron (especially the ability to shoot video) worth the extra money? Or is there a screaming bargain to be had somewhere out there if I just abandon my lifelong Nikon fixation?

TIA

I shoot with a d50. Not full frame. Last of their real low end cameras.

Just know the rattle is an orientation sensor.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Most consumer products are built to be "disposable" these days. Kinda sucks.

Well that problem is that technology is changing fast enough that there's no practical way to upgrade or repair things after a couple of years. Fabs move on, so you won't get spare parts. Interconnections change, so you can't even plug them into each other. And the push to keep things light and small keeps everything on the same board if not the same chip. In many ways it's good - it means that we're getting significantly better tech out every two years instead of every ten. But it offends the engineer in me.

Back to the topic of this thread, I've heard of digital backs for SLR bodies. They basically put the computer, storage, battery, and screen into a component that replaces the film and back and snaps on to a classic SLR body. Supposedly they're the best of both worlds. I don't know if they make them any more though.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I use a D7000 and am happy with it. Not an FX but I don't shoot much landscape so a crop factor actually doesnt hurt me. If you liked the old Nikons there was a rumor recently that they may be making a digital version of the old F3 as a retro-digital. Prices and lifespan suck these days but be sure to get something you'll be happy with.

A friend is about to sell off some D3 and D700 bodies I believe. I know firsthand that she takes excellent care of her gear. If you want I can let you know when she lists them.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Back to the topic of this thread, I've heard of digital backs for SLR bodies. They basically put the computer, storage, battery, and screen into a component that replaces the film and back and snaps on to a classic SLR body. Supposedly they're the best of both worlds. I don't know if they make them any more though.
    They're marvelous. I've rented a Leaf, for example.

However, I'm not even considering paying USD$20K+ for a camera. For a special occasion, as a rental, yes, but I'd never buy one.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    D800 user here. It's a work camera.
    I feel your pain. I shot with an F5 for years so I'd feel perfectly comfortable with a D4. I just can't justify the expense.

I bought my daughter a D3100 last year for Christmas and have heard no complaints.
    That was going to be my default choice. However, I can't find any new old stock or refurbs. They were available just a year ago; now - nothing.

Sadly what I use most often is my samsung galaxy phone. Takes great snapshots.
    I seem to remember that someone has put a new phone on the market that really emphasizes the camera function. I'll do some research in that direction but I kinda doubt I'd be happy with it. Still, it's worth going in for a demo, I suppose.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A friend is about to sell off some D3 and D700 bodies I believe. I know firsthand that she takes excellent care of her gear. If you want I can let you know when she lists them.
    A fully-depreciated D3 in excellent condition would be a nearly-perfect solution to my problem.

Yes, please let me know when they get listed and where.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just know the rattle is an orientation sensor.
    Should I infer, then, that this is a known, fixable problem? Or just that it's a known problem...but I'm still stuck with a dead, not-to-be-revived camera? ;)

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    That was going to be my default choice. However, I can't find any new old stock or refurbs. They were available just a year ago; now - nothing.

Not that I questioned your search, it was more that I couldn't believe it was true. I had just recently looked for another one for daughter #2

Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo

An F3.5 and an F4.5 aren't the greatest pieces of glass, but ...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not that I questioned your search,...
    You should question both my search and my communications skills. ;)

I was looking for a replacement body (only) and sorting too aggressively. Also, I wasn't considering Amazon since I've been pretty much exclusively a customer of B&H, Adorama, KEH, Calumet, and the long gone Zone VI for my photo needs for as long as I can remember. Yes, I'm just going digital (the D40 was my first) and my buying habits have not caught up with the times.

After just a few minutes of additional searching, I find I have multiple D3100 options, both new and refurbs. I'll do some more looking, make a decision, and post back in a few days.

Thanks so much for prompting me to look again.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Glass is by far the most important part of the kit.
    I strongly share your opinion. It's why I'm so tempted to go full frame and use some of my newer old glass. (My older old glass is nearly 50 years old and permanently retired.)

Last edited:

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Should I infer, then, that this is a known, fixable problem? Or just that it's a known problem...but I'm still stuck with a dead, not-to-be-revived camera? ;)

It's a little tube with tiny ball bearings in there. When it travels down the tube it makes a rattle. They just didn't think anyone would hear it. I had that camera on pieces trying to figure it out what broke before someone told me.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I agree...
    I'm not sure I agree with me, now that I've done some more research. I was thinking of a D2 variant. D3 bodies, used, in good condition, are still selling for over $2K right now. D700 bodies are bringing over $1500. That's more than I want to spend.

TundraWookiee, there's no need to nag your friend on my behalf. Thanks for the offer.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'm not sure I agree with me, now that I've done some more research. I was thinking of a D2 variant. D3 bodies, used, in good condition, are still selling for over $2K right now. D700 bodies are bringing over $1500. That's more than I want to spend.

TundraWookiee, there's no need to nag your friend on my behalf. Thanks for the offer.

No nagging...shes going to be selling them and I'll let you know what the prices and bodies are when she does. I'm probably going to buy some of her glass.

Full frames are pretty pricey these days. If you plan to use older glass then you'll want a camera with its own autofocus motor most likely. Most modern glass has the motor built into the lens body, older ones don't.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

Top Bottom