• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwrober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Not sure where to put this thread - so I picked OT.

Just wanted to share my experiences - we went camping at McKinney State Park this past weekend, and had a great time, despite the cold that snuck up on us!

If you haven't been McKinney is very nice. The park is pretty well taken care of. Now on to the important part:

THE FISHING. The water was low, so the falls weren't as impressive, unfortunately. BUT the bass were biting, and even in the cold water they were taking. Saw some big cats too, but didn't pull any in. The water was clear in most areas so sight fishing was fairly easy. What was fun was when I was at the lower falls, there is an area with 'ponds' and a rock overhang - the people on the over hang were pointing to where the fish were visible! Awesome!

We saw deer around the park, but no other wildlife other than birds.

The Smith center there is great for the kids, I showed my 7 yr old some of the bones they have on display, which she quickly told me was 'gross, Dad!" hahaha! She had a blast coloring, which they provided. They even have loaner tackle too.

Still under a burn ban, so no open fires. So if you go plan on cooking on propane. We camped with some good friends and between us all, we ate really good. Even had brownies!

The pic attached is the 'ponds' area I mentioned - you can see that you can look down over the pools and see fairly well into the water.

I went fishing Saturday late afternoon, and had the creek all to myself. Sunday afternoon I had to share, but Texans are friendly!
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• IMG_2797 (Small).JPG
      IMG_2797 (Small).JPG
      44.1 KB · Views: 293

gwrober

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    The official link:
    TPWD: McKinney Falls State Park

They do have RV hookups - the site we had was interesting, two rv sites shared an area, and they each had a tent pad too. Nice!

There is lots of hiking/biking trails - nice history in the area too. I'm sure kayaking or canoeing would be nice...we didn't get to see everything. :(

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Looks like a great camping site. I've been having the itch to go camping so I'm trying to hold that off. DH reminds me that we've been living in a hotel since March 7th so it's like we're on an extended vacation. ....uhuh, somehow it doesn't really feel the same

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    DH reminds me that we've been living in a hotel since March 7th so it's like we're on an extended vacation. ....uhuh, somehow it doesn't really feel the same

That sucks I lived in a travel trailer a few times, one was about 4 months and it was my parents, sister, grandmother and I when our house was hit by a tornado. The other time was a year and a half in college( cheap rent). It really sucks being in a close space for so long.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom