• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    Any bill that hasn't cleared one chamber by Monday, May 11th is dead. We're about to lose both campus-carry bills (HB1893 & SB1164). If the Calendars Committee doesn't send HB1893 to the floor in the next day or two, it's dead. If Senator Duncan doesn't have his committee vote on SB1164 TODAY, it's dead.

If you care about campus security and the campus-carry bills, then stop what you are doing and get on the phone to everyone on the Calendars Committee and to Senator Duncan. Send faxes also, if you can. As always, be polite, but it wouldn't hurt to politely advise them that you are aware that they are using delay tactics to avoid even allowing a debate on this issue.

Two years of very hard work, as well as an interim study, is about to go down the political drain. I cannot overstate the importance of everyone getting involved now! Waiting until later or hoping others will make the calls and send faxes will guarantee the demise of both bills.

The true power of the "gun lobby" is in our members and their willingness to quickly answer the call for action. If you want these bills to pass, then it's time to answer that call.

Thanks,
    Chas.

House Calendars Committee
    Chair: Rep. Brian McCall (512) 463-0594
    Vice Chair: Rep. Eddie Lucio III (512) 463-0606
    Members:
    Rep. Norma Chavez (512) 463-0622
    Rep. Garnet Coleman (512) 463-0524
    Rep. Byron Cook (512) 463-0730
    Rep. Brandon Creighton (512) 463-0726
    Rep. Charlie Geren (512) 463-0610
    Rep. Jim Keffer (512) 463-0656
    Rep. Lois W. Kolkhorst (512) 463-0600
    Rep. Edmund Kuempel (512) 469-0602
    Rep. Jim McReynolds (512) 463-0490
    Rep. Allan Ritter (512) 463-0706
    Rep. Burt R. Solomons (512) 463-0478

Senate State Affairs Committee
    Chair: Sen. Robert Duncan (512) 463-0128
    Vice Chair: Sen. Bob Deuell (512) 463-0102 (Just tell Sen Deuell THANKS for his strong support!)
    Members:
    Sen. John Carona (512) 463-0116
    Sen. Rodney Ellis (512) 463-0113
    Sen. Troy Fraser (512) 463-0124
    Sen. Chris Harris (512) 463-0109
    Sen. Mike Jackson (512) 463-0111
    Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. (512) 463-0127
    Sen. Leticia Van de Putte (512) 463-0126
    Lynx Defense

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    Ughhhhhh! I have already called Senator Duncan's office and Senator Wentworth's office today.

Duncan is my Senator, and I am absolutely fed up with him.

Please take a minute to call!

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    help

I am a youthful gun owner and I am putting alot of effort into advocating the 2nd but I do not know the tactics to help in this. I want to which why Im asking right now "How do i go about doing it. For the calenders committee, what exactly am I to say besides.."get off your buy(in a nice way)" Am I to assure them they will lose all support from from me for the future and things of that nature? What is my objective in detail? I really would like to help, Im just a in need of some feedback so that when I do make the calls(and I will), I will sound like I know what im doing.

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    I am a youthful gun owner and I am putting alot of effort into advocating the 2nd but I do not know the tactics to help in this. I want to which why Im asking right now "How do i go about doing it.

John, the first step is to get involved!

For the calenders committee, what exactly am I to say besides.."get off your buy(in a nice way)"

Just tell them your opinion about the legislation. If no one speaks up, they will assume that no one cares.

Am I to assure them they will lose all support from from me for the future and things of that nature?

I don't know that ultimatums will bring about better results. I am not saying that you cannot tell them that you are disappointed in them.

What is my objective in detail? I really would like to help, Im just a in need of some feedback so that when I do make the calls(and I will), I will sound like I know what im doing.

It really does not have to be over-complicated. Just tell them what you think. Remember, whether they realize it or not, they work for you. Not only do you we the right to express our opinion, I believe we have an obligation to do so.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I called Rep. Morison's office this afternoon. I was told that the corrected/amended copy of the bill was submitted to the Calender Committee yesterday (the 4th). I then called McCall's office which confirmed this info. The nice fellow I talked to said they had been inundated with calls like mine all day and they were registering all calls and the pro or con of each caller. I got the idea from what he said that the pros were probably in the majority. He asked my name, address and comments, so I know it was legit. We just need to stay on this and don't let them rest. The lady I talked to at Rep. Morrison's office did tell me that there was no doubt a pile of legislation in Committee and there was no way to tell right now when it would come up.

This stuff is just too important to let it die now. We can't wait another 2 years to try again. These folks need to be reminded that they work for us, at our pleasure and can be replaced if they don't hold up their end. All this politikin is rediculous anyway.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    The "problem" Member of the Calendars Committee is Houston's Garnet Coleman. He's is an F-rated Democrat who has "tagged" the bill and this does not surprise me at all. I don't think it will do a bit of good, but it also won't hurt to light up his phones and fax machines noting that it is wrong to prevent a floor debate on a bill with 75 authors. Please be polite; be nice!! If you say something insulting, he may be even more entrenched.

It's also time to start calling Senator Duncan and tell him that Garnet Coleman has "tagged" the House campus-carry bill, so we need him to allow a vote on the Senate version (SB1164) or this very important issue will not even be heard. Remind him that the Texas Republican Platform contains a plank to support campus-carry!

Chas.

Rep. Garnet Coleman (512) 463-0524

Senator/Chairman Duncan (512) 463-0128

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    Just finished my calls. Rep. Kolhorst's office was very polite and open towards the calls they were getting. He is in favor of the bill. Called all reps and sens. Some of those rep offices were downright rude particularly Coleman's. I had to show some restraint on the phone with that individual. Another office assured me of support for the bill as well. Not all offices took my info. I am glad I made the calls. This will not be my last effort. If the day comes where our beloved 2nd is stripped of us in so many ways, Im gonna be one of the mean SOBs yellin, "if yall had got off your ace and voiced yourselves we wouldnt be i this mess".

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    Just finished my calls. Rep. Kolhorst's office was very polite and open towards the calls they were getting. He is in favor of the bill. Called all reps and sens. Some of those rep offices were downright rude particularly Coleman's. I had to show some restraint on the phone with that individual. Another office assured me of support for the bill as well. Not all offices took my info. I am glad I made the calls. This will not be my last effort. If the day comes where our beloved 2nd is stripped of us in so many ways, Im gonna be one of the mean SOBs yellin, "if yall had got off your ace and voiced yourselves we wouldnt be i this mess".

Good work, John! See, it was easier than you thought!

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Tried to call Senator Duncan for two days now....phone is always busy...I bet it's left 'off the hook'..

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    Tried to call Senator Duncan for two days now....phone is always busy...I bet it's left 'off the hook'..

Thanks, Pappy! No, I think the Senator's phone is busy from receiving a lot of phone calls, especially from his constituents. I just hope it gives him the realization that his career may be in jeopardy.

You know, he was not even going to have a public hearing on the issue until people started speaking out. Hopefully, this response will cause the same reaction!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    Here is an update on campus-carry. Significantly, the Monday, May 11th deadline isn't for passing the House, it is for bills to be reported out of committee and "received" in the House Calendars Committee. The Calendars Committee then has only three days (May 14th) to set a bill on the House calendar, or it's dead. There are other deadlines that follow closely behind these.

Your calls and faxes, along with some very hard work by Alice Tripp, is paying off. When dealing with the legislature, I don't count anything as certain until it actually happens. However, the House campus-carry bill (HB1893) should be on the House calendar for Monday or Tuesday! Thanks for answering the call to action. It gave our friends in Austin the support they need to get this bill moving. Work is still on-going in the Senate to get SB1164 moving as well.

Getting legislation passed or killed truly is a team effort and you folks are a very big part of that team. I cannot overstate the absolute critical importance of the work that Alice Tripp has done and is still doing. I can't go into detail, but I can say that without her, both campus-carry and employer parking lots bills would have died in committee. Perhaps sometime after the session is over, I will be able to give at least some of the details of what she has done for all gun owners.

Chas.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I have to ask 'cause I keep wondering when you mention her name.

Is Alice any kin to Virgil? Same last name and involved in the firearms industry in some way so I was curious.

Top Bottom