Target Sports

Campus Carry for Junior and Community Colleges Start Today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Howard College in Big Spring does.

Sandoval; easy rider,

Interesting. - Fwiw, I taught for a while at a CC & didn't know (until today) that any public 2-year colleges in TX still had dorms.
    (The CC/Junior College movement started in the Upper Midwest & was intended to be the 13th & 14th years of secondary school. - When first formed all public 2-year colleges, except NMMI, were located on HS campuses in the town where the students lived.)
    Note: NMMI has always been "the exception that proves the rule" for public 2-year colleges. - That college is/always has been wholly owned by the State.

Addenda: Incidentally, there is a REAL difference in a CC & a traditional Junior College, in that a CC is intended to provide ALL sorts of education (beyond the 12th grade) that is not "reasonably available" to the members of that CC district, in addition to the 13th & 14th grades. = For example NETCC not only provides 2 years of college but offers "well-regarded" POST-MD/NP/RN courses for medical professionals & that are NOT reasonably available to working professionals, within a reasonable driving distance.

yours, satx

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Sandoval,

Interesting. - Fwiw, I taught for a while at a CC & didn't know (until today) that any public 2-year colleges still had dorms.
    (The CC/Junior College movement started in the Upper Midwest & was intended to be the 13th & 14th years of secondary school. - When first formed all public 2-year colleges, except NMMI, were located on HS campuses in the town where the students lived.)
    Note: NMMI has always been "the exception that proves the rule" for public 2-year colleges. - That college is/always has been wholly owned by the State.

yours, satx
    Well, there are now 1462 community colleges across the nation, 1047 are public and 415 are private. Texas has two of the top 5 in the nation.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I'm very proud that Brazosport Community College has a nationally award winning Machinist/Millwright program.

Yay trade classes! Bonus that these trades will be in demand in our huge petrochemical plant community area.

Middle kid starts his first class SOON!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Wildcat Diva,

CONGRADS to your son. = GOOD PLAN, imo.

IF I could have done what I wanted at 17YO, I would have joined the Army, gone to chopper school, got a Warrant, finished my 4 year hitch, joined the TXARNG as an aviator & then attended commercial pilot's school at Embry-Riddle University.
    (When I told my parents my plans, they had a hissy-fit, so I went to a military college & was commissioned. - Then, I went on AD & made my career in the MPC.)

Were my folks CORRECT?
    (I don't know that answer but as the saying goes, "All's well that ends well.".)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Fwiw, my home CC district is really proud that our post-graduate program for medical professionals that the college is now getting any number of "out of district" requests to attend the course of study, including some inquiries from abroad.
    (Who would have ever guessed that an "insignificant little hillbilly college" in northeast TX would ever do anything that well?? - When NETCC opened some years ago, "sophisticated people" in at least Dallas, Red River, Gregg & Smith Counties LOL at us & predicted that the new college would fail or "never amount to anything much")

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Wildcat Diva,

I'm not sure whether you mean the course of study that your son is entering OR our post-grad course for medical folks BUT in either case I'm in agreement with you.

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Texas has the second most community colleges in the nation, with Lone Star being the largest. Texas is IMO has committed to being the best in the nation. I am very proud of the accomplishments of my CC and other colleges, including universities, are taking notice. I can't say how many other college administrations have visited from across the country just to see what we are doing.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I meant I expect to be wowed by what we get here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that the medical program you described providing a valued service there too.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Wildcat Diva,

Me neither.

My congrads to your son & the whole WD family. = Hoping he does well in his program.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    They still got the 'Kilgore _hore Corps'.... I mean, the 'Kilgore Rangerettes' going on? jk
    4a4ec6a8c578736504194f05714fb246.jpg

Those famous "high kickin' Texans"!
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.

busykngt; Kar98,

The following is somewhat OFF TOPIC but amusing, imVho.

My late mother taught school with & was best friends with Gussie Nell Davis, who first created THE FLAMING FLASHES at Sulphur Springs HS & then moved to Kilgore JC (for a HUGE raise in salary) to create THE RANGERETTES.
    (Being a FLAMING FLASH or KILGORE RANGERETTE, or even having been one long ago, is a "social status" POSITIVE among a sizeable number of people. = For example, a physician, with both an MD & JD, when she applied for/received a faculty appointment at Johns Hopkins medical school/hospital in neurosurgery, listed having been the Captain of the Flaming Flashes as one of "her most notable achievements"!!!)

Mother used to laugh about Ms. Davis trying to defend her PATENT of "The Texas High Kick" against use by other "girl's drill teams". = When the idea went before a Federal District Judge in Tyler, he said, "Dear lady, are you trying to outlaw any female except your Rangerettes kicking their legs up into the air??"
    Then he LOL & immediately voided the patent (that the USPO had actually issued & then withdrawn) and dismissed Ms. Davis's civil suit to reinstate her patent "with prejudice".

yours, satx

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    :evil:
    Mother used to laugh about Ms. Davis trying to defend her PATENT of "The Texas High Kick" against use by other "girl's drill teams". = When the idea went before a Federal District Judge in Tyler, he said, "Dear lady, are you trying to outlaw any female except your Rangerettes kicking their legs up into the air??"
    Then he voided the patent (that the USPO had actually issued & then withdrawn) and dismissed Ms. Davis's civil suit to reinstate her patent "with prejudice".

LOL
    Thankfully for us the Judge had once visited the Folies Bergere ...
    :evil:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Thanks satx78247,
    I hadn't heard of The Flaming Flashes but interestingly enough, I have heard of Gussie Neil Davis! My ex was from Gladewater and I recall her telling me about Gussie (AND the "alternative" name for the Rangerettes!). And of course, The Rangerettes are virtually "a fixture" at various televised parades (Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Rose Bowl Parade, etc.), even to this day!

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    busyknget,

Fwiw, the Flaming Flashes were the FIRST ever "girl's dance team".

A further piece of RANGERETTE trivia: In 1982 at the Cotton Bowl, ALABAMA played UT & the Rangerettes appeared in their "trademark" red raincoats.
    When the team appeared out of the Cotton Bowl "tunnel" the entire Crimson Tide group of "crazies" stood & started chanting (evidently thinking that the RED raincoats indicated that the Rangerettes were supporting Alabama), "Alabama colors, Alabama colors, Alabama colors." & remained standing/stomping/hollering/whistling/howling throughout the Rangerettes performance.

yours, satx

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Bear Bryant's fishing pole is at the bottom of Lake Cumberland (KY). My dad was with the group when he saw him throw it in - he had just lost a good sized bass! (And I see he lost that game to the Long Horns too).
    --
    Perhaps way too far OT...

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    busykngt,

Paul Bryant surely did lose the game. My late wife & I were there in matching BURNT ORANGE outfits & "screaming our heads off" when The Horns came from behind to beat 'Bama.
    (That was the last year that I helped "run the big Texas flag" as an Exes-member of AP Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom