TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Campus carry lawsuit filed by UT professors is tossed by federal judge
    By Ryan Autullo, American-Statesman Staff
    12:18 p.m Friday, July 7, 2017
    http://www.statesman.com/news/crime...-tossed-federal-judge/K2LOFOx7zHevSsQY6uTxkO/

"A U.S. Western District judge has tossed out a lawsuit from three University of Texas professors over the campus carry law.

"In a seven-page ruling signed on Thursday, U.S. Judge Lee Yeakel said attorneys for professors Jennifer Lynn Glass, Lisa Moore and Mia Carter failed to present a sound argument that they will be physically harmed under the law. He said their concerns arise from a "subjective belief that a person may be more likely to cause harm to a professor or student as a result of the law and policy."

"Yeakel's ruling is a win for Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, whose office asked for the lawsuit to be dismissed."

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Maybe those three ladies will now go join the other Australian professor who left UT Austin to return to Australia - I suspect because he got a job offer "down under" and wanted to return home - but used the gun law passage as an excuse and "parting shot" to proclaim his concern for his personal safety as the reason he was leaving UT (what a load of horse manure).

This judge's ruling wasn't totally unexpected since he'd already turned down their request for an emergency injunction to stay the implementation of the new law several months ago (last year).
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    busykngt,

ImVho, what we need is more unemployed far left academics propagandizing out young/impressionable college students.

yours, satx

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    satx78247,
    I certainly don't disagree with you there. Once-upon-a-time there was this idea the value of a "college education" was the fact it taught young adults how to take a situation, study all facets of it, analyze the facts and create their OWN opinions as to the proper position or course of action to take. Nowadays, I'm afraid you are correct; the kids are not encouraged to study a problem and evolve independent thought about it. It is, in fact, a subtle form of 'brainwashing' (& sometimes, not so subtle... especially if the student wants to see a decent grade out of the class). Any wholly pervasive line of reasoning (be it "left" or "right") that does not encourage debate/dissection/analysis of a given issue, isn't truly serving the best interests of it's students (or it's community). Just my two cents; YMMV).
    --

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    That's certainly where it was (is) for my son. He had the opportunity to go to college as provided by his old man (me) but decided to pursue his passion as a mechanic. And while this initially didn't set well with me, he's made a good life for himself, wife and his son and daughter, starter home, etc. He runs a shop and plenty of work on the side (to include restorations for his own personal use). AND he's got a pretty well developed "conservative" bent to his views (to the point he even helped me "see the light" a few years ago!).
    --

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    AustinN4,

I'll go a step farther & say that we need to do what the originators of the American Community College movement intended: That students would complete the 12th grade, graduate from HS & then continue to attend the 13th & 14th grades on the HS campus or at another campus in the same community.

During that 2 years, the students were to ALL be taught the general studies classes (that are normally Freshman & Sophomore years) AND a "useful trade" as a "fallback position", should they not complete the last 2 years for a BA/BS.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    I wonder if I can sue UT for embarrassing the crap out of me and numerous other alumni with their inane leftist drivel that they keep espousing? It was bad back in '86 when I graduated, but Holy West Mall, Batman! Those people have lost their minds these days!

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    The University of Texas System could begin by ousting their anti-gun chancellor, Admiral William McRaven. Impressive title, huh? Too bad he's just another left wing "anti". I've already found a replacement job for him - since he apparently isn't content to sit quietly in a fishing cabin and enjoy his hand$ome military retirement pay - he could run Bloomberg's "Moms against" {everything} organization! That way, that organization could have just as ineffective leadership as UT!

--

RodKo40S&W

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2017
    Austin,Texas
    Every time I read about these liberal professors saying that they are worried about students reacting with violence to what they are saying in their classroom, I can't help but wonder "what the hell are you saying?"

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    And they actually think a law against carrying on campus will stop a determined individual from shooting them! How well have other "gun free" zones have worked? :banghead:

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    If they think there weren't guns on campus before Campus Carry, they are sadly mistaken. Sure, it may have been illegal, but I'd bet a paycheck they were there!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax; Sandoval; All,

Actually, I'm afraid that many of the leftist academics at UT/Austin & elsewhere ARE stupid enough to believe that "gun control" laws STOP crimes. = It's called "out of touch with reality" & likely, SELF-deception, too.
    (When faced with "active shooters"/mass murder/violent crimes, they are CLUELESS enough to believe that the "problem of crime" is the lack of stronger/more oppressive laws, rather than that they are FOOLS with doctorates.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Longhorn 1986,

I'm a lot older than you (Class of '69) & I can tell you that in my era that UT professors/students/staff weren't such obvious FOOLS. = It's gotten to the point that being an ex-denizen of The 40 Acres is embarrassing to admit, when over-educated examples of utter STUPIDITY, like these "fearful professors", are mentioned.
    (Nonetheless, cut me & I still bleed purest BURNT ORANGE.)

yours, satx

I wonder if I can sue UT for embarrassing the crap out of me and numerous other alumni with their inane leftist drivel that they keep espousing? It was bad back in '86 when I graduated, but Holy West Mall, Batman! Those people have lost their minds these days!

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This is how I picture these professors...

XIMDoL4.gif

Top Bottom