Patriot Mobile

can a 1986 car be registered as an antique ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Just wondering if a 1986 car can be registered as an antique or does it have to be a classic here in Tx?

thanks
    Guns International

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm not sure of the actual age, but "Antiques" are not to be driven daily.
    Only to-from events, etc...

ETA: I see I was too late.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    To register a vehicle as an "antique," it must be must be at least 25 years old AND a collector's item. The motor vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Motor vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or advertising. The motor vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

To register a vehicle as a "classic," it must be at least 25 years old. That's it.

More at: https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/uniqueVeh.htm

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    To register a vehicle as an "antique," it must be must be at least 25 years old AND a collector's item. The motor vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Motor vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or advertising. The motor vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

To register a vehicle as a "classic," it must be at least 25 years old. That's it.

More at: https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/uniqueVeh.htm
    You just contradicted yourself.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Shady,

The simple answer is: YES.
    (I currently have a 1986 M-B 300SDL that is registered as an antique.)

In 4 years I've been questioned exactly ONCE about the 300SDL & that was by a Travis County deputy, who saw the NRA Life member sticker in the back window.
    (She got around to telling me that she doesn't "approve of people owning guns".)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

The age is TWENTY YEARS for "classic plates", rather than 25.

yours, satx

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    majormadmax,

The age is TWENTY YEARS for "classic plates", rather than 25.

yours, satx

Nope, 25 years. It says so right on the application (Form VTR-850, Application for Classic License Plates)...

General Requirements

• Your passenger car, truck, motorcycle, or travel trailer must be at least 25 years old.
    • The manufacturer's rated carrying capacity must be 10,000 lbs. or less.
    • If you have not registered your vehicle in Texas within the last five years, you will need to attach proof that you own the vehicle (such as a copy of the certificate of title or other document proving ownership) when you submit this application.

www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/doc_download/957-vtr-850-classic

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was trying to figure that out as well...

I think the list of qualifications followed by "25 years old, that it".

Of course I'm sure it will be an argument about whether the allowed uses count.

I think you also mentioned something about it having to be a collectors item, not sure how that is defined but I believe it was listed as a requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    So what does collectors item mean. If people want them don't that = a collector item ?

And ya I was at the DMV page and was not sure what it was saying and wanted to make sure before I purchased.

It said something about having to be a certain year or made to look like a certain year and I thought I would ask where a large group of car guys might be reading to get a straight answer.

And I work at a metal fab shop so I have to drive it to work to weld on it :) lol. no it will not be a daily driver and will only be used to go to club meets and to be worked on.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    well I am still shopping but the 86 was a very exciting car or should I say truck ah its the car truck. The mighty El camino. Time to start a mullet err oh wait God has taken all the hair from the top of my head so I could only have the party in the back.

I am looking at several totaly different things ranging from the mid 60's to 70's mostly mopar stuff. But a local El Camino caught my eye and its something I have always wanted.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ugh, the hermaphrodite of the automobile world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

Well, ALL that I can tell you is that when I bought my 1994 Mercedes C220 that I was offered Classic license plates, as the "nice lady" here in Bexar County reminded me that it was 20 years old but NOT old enough to be an "antique", as my 1986 M-B 300CD is. - She further told me that I would have to wait until the C220 attained 25 years of age, to license it as an antique vehicle.
    (I ended up putting Retired Army plates on the car, as it's the same price as "Classic" plates.)

yours, satx

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    majormadmax,

Well, ALL that I can tell you is that when I bought my 1994 Mercedes C220 that I was offered Classic license plates, as the "nice lady" here in Bexar County reminded me that it was 20 years old but NOT old enough to be an "antique", as my 1986 M-B 300CD is. - She further told me that I would have to wait until the C220 attained 25 years of age, to license it as an antique vehicle.
    (I ended up putting Retired Army plates on the car, as it's the same price as "Classic" plates.)

yours, satx

Wow, someone at the DMV that got things wrong? They were the same ones that couldn't tell me put medal DV tags on all my cars, but couldn't cite the regulation that stated that (I later found it on my own). I am only telling you what the form states.

I don't see the need or reason for putting "antique" or "classic" tags on a vehicle, other than no inspection on antiques but given the other restrictions on those vehicles it can't really be considered an advantage. I have a motorcycle that qualifies as a "classic," but I can't be bothered...

Top Bottom