Can a Gunsmith ship back a gun to the owner?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Man With A Gun..., Jul 3, 2009.

1. Man With A Gun...

Man With A Gun... Member

May 22, 2009
    Lakeway, Tx
    I just sent my AK to Elk River Tool and Die, the fedex man said they would not be able to ship it back to me, that it would have to be shipped to a local FFL where I would have to fill out a 4473. Is this true? Maybe I'll just go pick it up in person. BTW I shipped it from Austin to Houston.

2. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    He is right... has to be shipped to a FFL, but come on down to Houston anyway!

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Here's the section on fedex.com...

Make of that what you will...

4. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Yes, you can have them ship the firearm back to you directly. This from the BATFE site:
    If a firearm is delivered to a licensee by an unlicensed individual for the purpose of repair, the return of the repaired firearm is not subject to the requirements of the Brady law. The transfer of a replacement firearm from the licensee to the owner of the damaged firearm is not subject to the requirements of the Brady law. Neither the transfer of a repaired firearm nor the transfer of a replacement firearm would be subject to the requirements of the Brady law. Furthermore, the regulations provide that a Form 4473 is not required to cover these transactions. However, the licensee's permanent acquisition and disposition records should reflect the return of the firearm or the transfer of a replacement firearm.

Also, this from the above FedEx rules applies as well:
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

I sent a Victor to High Standard a few years ago for repair. They had to replace the frame, so it ended up with a new serial number. They shipped it back to me without me having to fill out a new 4473 per the rules above.

Your FedEx guy is wrong.

5. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

^^ That's what I understood as well.

The FedEx guy sounds like he's talking out the south entrance

6. Fisherman777

Fisherman777 Well-Known

Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I shipped my 1911 in for a tune up and FedEx brought it back when it was done.

I remember when I was setting up a pickup for it on the phone. I told the woman on the other end that it was a pistol in the package and she just freaked out. Said "FedEx cain't ship no GHUUNNNNNS!!!" Well, we argued about it for a couple of minutes and then I said, "Oh, my mistake. It's a book about guns." She even balked at that! So I said, "Okay! It's just a book. A big fat heavy book!" Amazingly, she calmed down and we finished the pickup order. No more trouble after that. Apparently she forgot when I told her that it was an actual gun and believed me when I magically changed it to a book. I should have called her supervisor.

7. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I sent auto-ordinance my 1927 a1 for repair and the return Fed-Ex driver signed the "Adult Signature Required" slip and left it leaning against my mailbox outside the gate. No one was home. My neighbor saw them drop it and went and got it and called me.

That driver was fired, I raised enough heck that the regional VP of fed-ex called and insured me that he was terminated.

So yes they can.

Now what I do is tell them to return it via UPS and I pay the $2.00 to the local UPS store to receive it for me. I tell them flat out what it is and that they must lock it up till I get there. They have no problem doing that for me.

8. 45tex

45tex Well-Known

Feb 1, 2009
    The maker can return it to you, but I doubt an FFL is allowed. If they will, good for you.

9. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Yes they can. Please see my post above. Let's not confuse anyone out there. If you ship a firearm for repair to a gunsmith, the factory (licensed manufacturer), or an FFL holder (licensed dealer), they can ship it back to you without going through any special process. In fact, they can even ship pistols via USPS since that's how High Standard sent back my Victor.

10. smschulz

smschulz Paid for CUT TGT Supporter

Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Not true.
    It does not have to be transferred.
    Have it shipped via USPS.
    Company policy from Fed Ex and UPS can be finicky but they can do it legally.
    Your gun shipped in for repair can be returned to you.