Venture Surplus ad

Can A Mosin Hurt You, not from the business side?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Went shooting and decided to try out the old Mosin Nagant for the first time, and the guy I was with said that they killed a bunch of people from the bolt flying back into their brain housin group. I have never heard anything about that, and I have read a lot about them. Anyone ever hear such a thing? Needles to say my first two shots were not well place because my head wasn't any where near it! Next 3 hit the plate though, fun shooting, kicks like a mule though.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    That is BS. Most of those old rifles were made to survive major malfunction. Maybe if some how you could fire it without fully pushing the bolt I guess or if you had headspace issues maybe, but even then I would assume the bolt would be more likely to go flying than straight backwards. I saw one in a book once with 17 rounds stuck in the barrel. The barrel burst like a cartoon but the bolt was still in it. Look up on Youtube, there is some crazy guy who destroys Mosins just to see if they will still fire.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    What Mike said, I've never heard of that happening and I've been pretty engrossed in the Mosin market for quite some time...

Go to the forums at 7.62x54r.net if you have any other questions, the "3 line rifle, model 1891" Mosin is one of the most prolific and historically interesting bolt action rifles ever made. I have one that was used during the Spanish Civil War...

Cheers! M2

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Thanks for the replies, probably one of those my brothers formers roommates sisters ex-boyfriends cousin heard it once.........

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just a guess, but I'd bet that whoever told that tale was mixing up the Mosin with the Ross. The Ross was a fine straight-pull bolt rifle adopted by Canada and used in WWI. It was a successful target rifle before the war.

Unfortunately, it was possible to disassemble the bolt for cleaning, reassemble it wrong, and then experience the bolt flying directly out of the back of the rifle when it was next fired. This, along with a number of other problems, caused the Ross to be dropped from service.

Later, some wonderful sporters were built on that action, the thinking being that it was a great design for sporting use even if it was a failure in the muddy trenches of the Great War. And, of course, civilian rifle lovers who ordered up a custom hunting rifle would never reassemble the bolt wrong. Right? Well, wrong. Very wrong, unfortunately.

The design shortcomings (and if it's even possible to reassemble your rifle so that it kills you, that's a major design flaw IMO) of the Ross killed way too many people before everyone learned to just hang 'em on the wall and look at 'em.

AFAIK, the Ross is the only legit source of "bolt flying back into their brain" stories about ex-military bolt actions.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yes, the Mosin tortures. Makes me cringe every time. Why does he have to use originals? There are plenty that have been messed with that be could blow up. I mean I do like things that blow up.

Heinz Bar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Spring Branch
    If your headspace is out of specs then you could have a catastrophic malfunction. When I bought mine I invested in a $15 head space gauge set to check.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom