Can anyone explain airlines

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by jfrey, Jul 12, 2008.

1. jfrey

jfrey Active Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    With the Heller decision by the Supreme Court, can anyone explain first of all; where do the airline companies get the power to restrict law-abiding citizens the right to carry firearms, and secondly; will Heller give gun owners the power to go to the courts and sue the airlines to accept our rights? This should be the opening we have been waiting on. This is not a private property issue, they service the public and the public should be able to exercise their rights regardless of what the airline exects. think.

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The plane is private property. Not only that, but it is a Federal law prohibiting firearms on planes, or in airports for that matter.

It's not their choice to make.

(e) Explosive, incendiary, deadly or
    dangerous weapon: Prohibitions. (1) Except
    as provided in § § 108.219, 108.221,
    and 108.223, no aircraft operator may
    permit any person to have an explosive,
    incendiary, or deadly or dangerous
    weapon, on or about the individual’s
    person or accessible property
    when onboard an aircraft.

3. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    The only way an ordinary citizen can get his gun on an airplane is to follow airline procedure. A gun can be transported in checked baggage if it is properly secured.

4. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    The federal government has a monopoly on airport security. A job it has failed at, and continues to fail at miserably.

5. baboon

baboon Well-Known

Hell you want fun with airlines & guns, take and go on safari. You learn real quick what cities to avoid.

6. ctxpta

ctxpta New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    Private entity

They have the right to refuse service to anyone. You have the right to drive and use a boat instead of flying!

7. Nate C

Nate C Active Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Each airline has its own internal policy. There are procedural variations, but the fundamental similarity (based on federal law, I suspect) is that all firearms have to be in checked luggage, in a locked, hardsided container, with ammunition separately contained in a similarly secured manner. The variations come with how to declare and/or present it to the ticket counter.

The chaos comes when a) the airline employee doesn't know how to address the situation; b) long lines of customers increase stress; c) you are running late for your flight.

8. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    I usually send my guns to a FFL in the area I am going to visit.Too many hassles with the airlines especially since they lost one of my guns.My guncase went to another city and when I got it back my gun was gone.Luckily it was insured so I was reimbursed but I will never take a weapon on an airplane again.:mad:

9. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I travel a lot and would love to take my gun with me, but I'm afraid of having it stolen by the baggage handlers.

10. FlyinFast

FlyinFast Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Richardson
    No offense to my fellow 2nd amendment rights brethren, but a good 70 to 80% of the people I see at gunshows and ranges I would not want to fly with them armed with guns in a pressurized aircraft.:D