• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    With the Heller decision by the Supreme Court, can anyone explain first of all; where do the airline companies get the power to restrict law-abiding citizens the right to carry firearms, and secondly; will Heller give gun owners the power to go to the courts and sue the airlines to accept our rights? This should be the opening we have been waiting on. This is not a private property issue, they service the public and the public should be able to exercise their rights regardless of what the airline exects. think.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The plane is private property. Not only that, but it is a Federal law prohibiting firearms on planes, or in airports for that matter.

It's not their choice to make.

(e) Explosive, incendiary, deadly or
    dangerous weapon: Prohibitions. (1) Except
    as provided in § § 108.219, 108.221,
    and 108.223, no aircraft operator may
    permit any person to have an explosive,
    incendiary, or deadly or dangerous
    weapon, on or about the individual’s
    person or accessible property
    when onboard an aircraft.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    The only way an ordinary citizen can get his gun on an airplane is to follow airline procedure. A gun can be transported in checked baggage if it is properly secured.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    The federal government has a monopoly on airport security. A job it has failed at, and continues to fail at miserably.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Each airline has its own internal policy. There are procedural variations, but the fundamental similarity (based on federal law, I suspect) is that all firearms have to be in checked luggage, in a locked, hardsided container, with ammunition separately contained in a similarly secured manner. The variations come with how to declare and/or present it to the ticket counter.

The chaos comes when a) the airline employee doesn't know how to address the situation; b) long lines of customers increase stress; c) you are running late for your flight.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I usually send my guns to a FFL in the area I am going to visit.Too many hassles with the airlines especially since they lost one of my guns.My guncase went to another city and when I got it back my gun was gone.Luckily it was insured so I was reimbursed but I will never take a weapon on an airplane again.:mad:

FlyinFast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Richardson
    No offense to my fellow 2nd amendment rights brethren, but a good 70 to 80% of the people I see at gunshows and ranges I would not want to fly with them armed with guns in a pressurized aircraft.:D

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    They have the right to refuse service to anyone. You have the right to drive and use a boat instead of flying!

Yes sir,

This is still America and people have the right to run their business they way they see fit. Now I want lie, it's a little disconcerning to see a 30.06 sign in front of a place of business, but none the less it's their right. And in this case as pointed out, the Airlines are governed by the FAA. So they have little say over the matter.

As stated above, I'm not sure I would trust someone with a firearm on board a pressurized plane. I also would avoid flying with my firearms under the current system. There has been to many firearms stolen...Seattle is a good example. I'm glad the person who ships his to a near by FFL posted. That is a good idea in my opinion and will look into if I ever need to fly some place with my firearms.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    "This is still America and people have the right to run their business they way they see fit."

WRONG!

The fedgov has a compulsary monopoly on commercial trave - an airline could not allow arms onboard even if they wanted to. You are living in a dream if you thing commerce enjoys freedom in the United States.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    "This is still America and people have the right to run their business they way they see fit."

WRONG!

The fedgov has a compulsary monopoly on commercial trave - an airline could not allow arms onboard even if they wanted to. You are living in a dream if you thing commerce enjoys freedom in the United States.

Yes sir, the FAA does control commerical airliners. But do you remember what is was like before the FAA baned firearms? The firearms ban on commerical airlines was going to happen one way or the other. Personaly, I don't want to be some where over the south Pacific in a plane full of people loaded to the teeth with firearms. All it would take is one single shot to turn you in to shark food. And believe me, I've seen enough drunks hauled off planes that would have been prime canidates for that job.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    You assume of course that there are certain services that can ONLY be provided by a benevolent government........

Make any claims you want as to what would happen if people were free to keep and bare the tools necessary to secure their safety - but you cannot honestly say that we in America have the freedom to conduct business freely.

anygunanywhere

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    League City, TX
    No offense to my fellow 2nd amendment rights brethren, but a good 70 to 80% of the people I see at gunshows and ranges I would not want to fly with them armed with guns in a pressurized aircraft.:D

The explosive depressurization caused by a bullet piercing the skin is a myth perpetrated by hollywood and other uninformed sources. There are documented examples of airplanes having holes blown in the skin and the plane landing safely.

Those crazies are next to you at the mall, in the movie theater, restaurant, and even church. Their carrying on planes really should make no difference. They have their rights as well.

Anygunanywhere

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    ^^^
    What he said.

I used to be an aircraft mechanic before pursuing a machinist's career and I cringe when people bring that crap up......

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    I would be worried about the one crazy/terrorist that was able to get a shot off in the cockpit. Hitting those instruments couldn't be good, hitting the pilot(s) would be pretty bad for everybody. I personally think its a good idea to not let every Tom, Dick, or Harry carry on a plane. Now, if someone is certified (ie CCL), then it might be a good idea to let em. Even if the US did allow people to carry w/o a license, I think on a plane it should be regulated somehow.

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    Just over two weeks ago a plane with a 10 foot hole in it did just that...

"Lina said the cabin's floor gave way, exposing some of the cargo beneath and part of the ceiling collapsed. 'There is a big hole on the right side near the wing,' he said, adding it was 2.5 to 3 metres in diameter."

"She said the hole extended from the cargo hold into the passenger cabin."

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_25088.aspx
    jul2508-qantasgetty.jpg

There are documented examples of airplanes having holes blown in the skin and the plane landing safely.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Although I'm sure not on every flight, I think you might be surprised at how many armed passengers they're may be.

I just learned yesterday that IRS Agents are permitted to carry their loaded carry weapons on flights. A neighbor of a good friend is an agent who's been involved in a lot of high profile IRS cases including some recent celebrities and other high profile tax evasion cases so he flies a lot. He doesn't like to carry and normally doesn't, but at certain times he's required to. It's a hassles because he has to alert the airline ahead of time, arrive early to meet the Captain and airline officials so they know who he is and strategically seat him on the plane.

I had no idea, nor did I ever really think about people like the IRS Investigators who I know carry and have some pretty surprising LE power. I wonder how many other agencies have Agents/employees in the same situation?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Those crazies are next to you at the mall, in the movie theater, restaurant, and even church. Their carrying on planes really should make no difference. They have their rights as well.

There is a difference, the altitude of all those places isn't 30,000 ft. One person's mistake can instantly cause the death of hundreds. This isn't just striking an innocent with a missed shot.

You are in such a tight confines that a gun is risky. You run an extremely high risk of hitting an innocent, or getting into a struggle with someone whom can disarm you, possible ambush from a sleeper. There is no such thing as distance on a plane.

This is the one instance where allowing everyone to load up is a bad idea. I believe that all pilots should be armed as they are in the best position. They are in control, and they are separated from the potential BG.

Top Bottom