Can anyone identify this frame

DubiousDan

TGT Addict
May 22, 2010
San Antonio
It's a S&W, on the butt of frame it's marked V 7095.

They number on the frame under the crane is 74218.

The cylinder is 38 spl.

Barrel is 2" and is marked "38 S&W SPL." on one side and "SMITH & WESSON" on the other.

The barrel is in good shape.

The finish of the frame, cylinder and barrel do not match.

These belonged to a friend who was going to make a snub nose 38 out of it but didn't get to finish.

IMG_3373001.jpg

Glenn B

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
No expert but to me it looks a lot like S&W model 36 but they had other similar models. Model number may be on the inside of the crane or the frame that sits under/behind the crane.

DubiousDan

TGT Addict
May 22, 2010
San Antonio
No expert but to me it looks a lot like S&W model 36 but they had other similar models. Model number may be on the inside of the crane or the frame that sits under/behind the crane.
You may be correct but I can't be sure the crane and frame came from the same model.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Occupied Texas
Model 36 didn't come out until 1950. This may be a Model 32, which had a lot of variants.

I suspect it's frustrating to have all those parts and yet they don't come together to go bang.

jar

Aug 26, 2008
The Valley
IIRC the Terrier (M32) was 38S&W and never in 38S&W Spl. Also, shouldn't the number on the crane match the number on the frame under the crane? If it was a 36 that latch says it should be in the era when model numbers were stamped on the frame under the crane.

Side bet.

Your friend got the gun in pieces parts and it's very likely none of the pieces parts were born together.

Top Bottom