• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    It's a S&W, on the butt of frame it's marked V 7095.

They number on the frame under the crane is 74218.

The cylinder is 38 spl.

Barrel is 2" and is marked "38 S&W SPL." on one side and "SMITH & WESSON" on the other.

The barrel is in good shape.

The finish of the frame, cylinder and barrel do not match.

These belonged to a friend who was going to make a snub nose 38 out of it but didn't get to finish.

IMG_3373001.jpg
    DK Firearms

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    No expert but to me it looks a lot like S&W model 36 but they had other similar models. Model number may be on the inside of the crane or the frame that sits under/behind the crane.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    No expert but to me it looks a lot like S&W model 36 but they had other similar models. Model number may be on the inside of the crane or the frame that sits under/behind the crane.
    You may be correct but I can't be sure the crane and frame came from the same model.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Model 36 didn't come out until 1950. This may be a Model 32, which had a lot of variants.

I suspect it's frustrating to have all those parts and yet they don't come together to go bang.

jar

Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    IIRC the Terrier (M32) was 38S&W and never in 38S&W Spl. Also, shouldn't the number on the crane match the number on the frame under the crane? If it was a 36 that latch says it should be in the era when model numbers were stamped on the frame under the crane.

Side bet.

Your friend got the gun in pieces parts and it's very likely none of the pieces parts were born together.

JoeN

Aug 27, 2015
    I am far from an expert, but I have a similar revolver with a V serial number. It was explained to me that these guns were produced during WW2 and were shipped overseas, I think mainly to England. The reason the serial numbers don’t match, is before they were released back to the public, guns were inspected and defective or questionable parts were replaced with parts from another gun. As a result barrels, frames, and cylinders may not match the serial number on the butt of the gun.

My gun is a S&W 38, not a 38 SPL. I was also told that most 38s had the cylinders bored to shoot SPLs but mine has not. You can go to S&Ws site and check the serial number, the V number. They will give you some basic information about your gun but not a lot of detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    If it was made before 1957 it won't have a model number inside the crane area. If the cylinder is a 38 Special, a J frame will be 5 shot and a K frame will be 6 shot. There are two extra hammers and two triggers. The grips do not have the diamond around the screw hole. The photo shows no mainspring but the notch where the leaf mainspring fits into the frame.

I'm guessing a M&P Hand Ejector or a Pre-Model 10. The serial number will be on the butt of the frame.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I am far from an expert, but I have a similar revolver with a V serial number. It was explained to me that these guns were produced during WW2 and were shipped overseas, I think mainly to England. The reason the serial numbers don’t match, is before they were released back to the public, guns were inspected and defective or questionable parts were replaced with parts from another gun. As a result barrels, frames, and cylinders may not match the serial number on the butt of the gun.

My gun is a S&W 38, not a 38 SPL. I was also told that most 38s had the cylinders bored to shoot SPLs but mine has not. You can go to S&Ws site and check the serial number, the V number. They will give you some basic information about your gun but not a lot of detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yours is the Victory model designated by the V in the serial number. Most were 38 S&W and, yes, many had the cylinder opened up to accept 38 Special. However, the 38 S&W has a larger bore diameter than the 38 Special and accuracy suffered a little. I can't remember the difference in bore diameter, only .002-.003 difference or so.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Yours is the Victory model designated by the V in the serial number. Most were 38 S&W and, yes, many had the cylinder opened up to accept 38 Special. However, the 38 S&W has a larger bore diameter than the 38 Special and accuracy suffered a little. I can't remember the difference in bore diameter, only .002-.003 difference or so.
    Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. There's a hole at the bottom of the grip frame for a lanyard loop. I was trying to confirm the frame size ans it looks like a K frame.

Top Bottom