APOD Firearms

Can anyone recommend a good set of electronic earmuffs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onecoolpilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    We have 2 pair of the Radians Pro-Amp. They retail for $79.99 in the DFW area. My wife and I went to Cabela's and tried a few different ones on, and did the clap test on all of them.

These and one other really expensive pair are the only ones that didn't cut off when there was a loud noise. Rather, it 'compresses' the sound down to a tolerable level, if that makes sense. It may in fact be cutting off, but does it so quickly that I can't tell. What bothered me about others is, when they cut off, there is no sound coming through at all, which at an indoor range, make the electronics useless.

These work great at the range for me. The wife still has to use foamy ear plugs indoors, but out doors they are good to go.

Hope this helps

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Tactical Sport NRR 20dB [97451-00000 Aea] - $100.36 : ManVentureOutpost.com, Make Everyday A ManVenture!

I user Peltor Tactical Sport's. They generally go for around $100-120. They are a bit better quality and function then the typical $70 ones I've tried out from various other companies. Also, the tacsport's have a connector that allows you to get an adapter cable so that you can plug them in to any standard 3.5mm audio jack. The sweet thing about that (and part of the reason I paid the extra for these over typical $70 electronic muffs) is that means you can use them with radios as well as plenty of other devices, so it really adds to the versatility. Mine have worked great. The only issue I noticed is, you have to adjust the amplification a bit if it's a really windy day. If you have the amplification turned up a lot when it's really windy, the muffs will start electronically blocking sound nearly all the time, so you will hear them cutting in and out way too much. All you have to do in that case is just adjust them down a bit. The only way to really improve on that is to step up to some of the $200-400+ electronic earpro out there due to the improved sound drivers and electronics, and for most of us I'm sure that's not really an option.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep. The adapter cable is around $20, and it converts to a regular old 3.5mm audio jack, so you could plug it into anything you can plug regular headphones in to. Just fyi though, I'm not entirely sure if these Tactical Sport's have stereo sound. Even if they do, I would be willing to bet the sound quality probably isn't as good as a $100 set of actual headphones. Either way, it can definitely be done with the adapter cable.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I have the same Peltor Tactical Sports. They are awesome for outdoor ranges. Some indoor ranges are a bit too loud, like Red's, but at Shiloh the Peltor muffs work just fine.

I got mine from Talon Arms... they have good pricing on them.

shilohshooters

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    We all use Impact Sports from Howard Leight. Great amplification and comes with the jack and cable for your ipod. All for just $64.99. I've been using the same pair for over a year now and have had zero problems and have enjoyed the soothing sounds of Metallica and other such bands as I hammer away down range.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    We all use Impact Sports from Howard Leight. Great amplification and comes with the jack and cable for your ipod. All for just $64.99. I've been using the same pair for over a year now and have had zero problems and have enjoyed the soothing sounds of Metallica and other such bands as I hammer away down range.

Thats what Im talking about!

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock

I use the same ones with good results. Not as good a noise reduction as I'd like, but for outdoor use they work well. They also manage batteries much better than the Peltors I tried before.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Maybe you mean MidwayUSA — Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes

Good find!

edit: do you have a direct link to these???? I can't seem to dig up what you are talking about. I could use some good protection on a budget.

Here it is...

MidwayUSA - Caldwell Sound-Right ES-85 Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 27dB) Green

Note that that one is for 34.99 and not 59.99

The one for 59.99 in the ad is this one...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpa...gName=Nov_08_Flyer&rfx_OmniClientID=midwayusa

And is not on sale.

I could not find one for 59.95 @ 14.95 on sale.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Picked up a pair of the Impact Sports from the guys at Shiloh today. Took a minute to get used to as I felt like I didnt have anything on, but after the first three or four rounds went down range I love em.... and it is nice to quitley blast away to the soothing sounds of whatever happens to be thrown into the mix on the iPod....

Top Bottom