• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

deano123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    When I was 17 I was arrested along with 3 guys riding in a car because there was a gun in the glove box. Charge theft and position of firearm. I went to tdc boot camp and a behavioral modification center for 2 years. I completed 10 years of probation. 16 years later I now have a beautiful wife and 5 kids I want to protect. I run a multi million dollar business and have a great life. I have not been arrested or even had a speeding ticket since that one day over 16 years ago. What do you think?
    Guns International

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You probably want to talk to a lawyer on this, were the charges in this state or somewhere else? Do you know if you were charged as a minor or an adult? Also, how did this incident generate a theft charge? You claim to only be riding around in a car with a gun in the glovebox, were you the driver? If so, why was there a gun in the car? If not, then why were you charged as a passenger in the car? I honestly suspect there is more to this story than you're letting on to!

This is why you probably want a lawyer to research it for you, and the determination will be made on what you were charged and how those charges were processed, not how much money your business makes or what kind of life you are now living. Unfortunately, one bad mistake can prevent an individual from buying guns for the rest of their lives...

Good luck, I hope you get the answer you are hoping for!

Cheers! M2

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    As the Major says there are are many details missing, and with something this important face to face time with a legal professional is always a good idea.

Though, it looks like you were convicted of a felony.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Agree with Bithabus. 10 years probation is felony. Does not read as though you were deferred. I would have to say the answer to your question, OP, is no.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Except buying a firearm when not legally able to can cause an even bigger mess!

Again I advocate contacting an attorney to ensure you aren't breaking any more additional laws, especially since the bigger brains on here seem to think you are NOT eligible given the limited information provided!

Cheers! M2

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    I agree with some others that it sounds like a felony conviction. Based on the sentence you state was imposed, was the "theft" actually "theft of a motor vehicle" and the "position" charge actually "possession of a stolen firearm"?

I'm personally not aware of any misdemeanor that can get you a sentence of 2 years boot camp and 10 years probation.

Based solely on what you have provided, my opinion would be that you have a felony conviction.

Pa Pa Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    I had a felony deferred case that I did the probation and completed in Texas. Can I buy a shot gun now? It was deferred ajudifiction.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    Go to a dealer and try to purchase a gun. Answer all questions truthfully and find out, but it sounds as if you were convicted of a felony. That will probably make it a no go for you. Your wife could purchase a handgun if she qualifies, and as long as it remains her property you might be ok, but I don't think you'll be able to carry it. A convicted felon in possession of a handgun is not good.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Go to a dealer and try to purchase a gun. Answer all questions truthfully and find out, but it sounds as if you were convicted of a felony. That will probably make it a no go for you. Your wife could purchase a handgun if she qualifies, and as long as it remains her property you might be ok, but I don't think you'll be able to carry it. A convicted felon in possession of a handgun is not good.

Are you talking to the guy who made this thread is September, or the poster right above your post asking about a shotgun with a deferred?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Talk to an attorney. They might even consider it a free consultation. If you go try to buy a gun, answer "no" to the felony question if the answer may actually be "yes", and purchase that gun, you'll likely get a phone call and a visit from a nice man with the ATF.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    10 years probation is.. Like holy crap you did something terrible and you really got into some trouble for it lol.

I dont think a misdemeanor would get you 10 years probation. Sounds like a felony to me man. I wouldn't even give it a go. Felonys last a lifetime. My grandfather robbed a bank before he was like 18-19. He's late 60s. He's a preacher now and he still can't own a gun.

Edit: whoops didn't notice this was from Septemer. I have no clue about the shotgun, guy. Sorry.

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This thread has run it's course. We're not lawyers, and it's best to consult with one when it comes to legal matters like this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom