• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ethanm1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    im 18...im not real sure if i ve understood the law like its supposed to be...so, can i take my dads handguns to the range? (legally of course)
    Target Sports

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I never realized that you had to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. It's an odd law.

Speaking of odd laws.....we drove to the ranch a couple of years ago and stopped at the Super Walmart for supplies on our way in (approx 3am). I went to get ammo and could only buy rifle ammo at that hour. They said that they couldn't sell handgun ammo until something like 6am. How odd. I had to go back the next day for handgun ammo. To add salt to my wound, when I asked for 9mm and 45acp, the guy asked if it was for a rifle or handgun. I guess now, if I had said it was for a rifle......the would have sold it to me?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've been told by a Walmart employee that it was state and federal law that they couldn't sell ammo past 10 PM. Then we went to another Walmart and the Asst. Manager sold us ammo without a fuss, at 12:30 AM.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yeah most places like Walmart give the BS excuse that it's a "state or federal law" which is incorrect. That is probably just that particular store's policy.

By yourself, probably not. Most ranges require you to be 21 or older if by yourself. If you get someone 21 or over to take you then there won't be any issues.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    went to buy some 22 LR the other day and the register prompted the cashier to ask if it was for a rifle or handgun, she was didnt believe me when I told her that if I said rifle it would ask if I was 18, pistol it would ask if I was 21.... so she rang up a box as pistol, asked if I was 21....

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    went to buy some 22 LR the other day and the register prompted the cashier to ask if it was for a rifle or handgun, she was didnt believe me when I told her that if I said rifle it would ask if I was 18, pistol it would ask if I was 21.... so she rang up a box as pistol, asked if I was 21....
    That hilarious...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom