Lynx Defense

Can I legally bring a firearm from Texas into New Mexico?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2017
    DFW
    I have a Texas LTC and am taking a trip to Taos New Mexico in a few days. I will be driving. Can I legally bring my firearm across the state line? Moreover, can I legally carry as long as I adhere to local laws?
    Hurley's Gold

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I have a Texas LTC and am taking a trip to Taos New Mexico in a few days. I will be driving. Can I legally bring my firearm across the state line? Moreover, can I legally carry as long as I adhere to local laws?
    Yes, you can carry in New Mexico with a Texas LTC.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I was told no by my buddy who lived in Santa Fe. And I asked at a gun store and they said only residents. I just always left mine in the truck.
    There could have been something with the reservations land as well.
    That makes zero sense. If I have a CHL with reciprocity in another state but can't carry it anywhere I go, that makes having a gun pretty useless.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    That makes zero sense. If I have a CHL with reciprocity in another state but can't carry it anywhere I go, that makes having a gun pretty useless.
    It was real iffy to me but I did what I was told for the 5-6 years I was going there. It's like the way TX was with the deal you could carry in your but not in public.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

WHERE CAN I CARRY A CONCEALED FIREARM IN NEW MEXICO?​

• Carry in bars/restaurants that serve alcohol? Yes, but limited to restaurants licensed to sell only beer and wine, unless posted. Carry is not permitted in bars or restaurants that serve hard liquor.
    • Carry in my vehicle without a permit/license? Yes.
    • Carry in roadside rest areas? Yes.
    • Carry in state parks and state/national forests? Yes, with a CHL.
    • Carry in establishments that sell alcoholic beverages for off-site consumption (grocery stores, liquor stores, convenience stores)? Yes, with a CHL.
    • Carry in places of worship? There is no state statute prohibiting concealed carry in places of worship. However, since places of worship are private property, they may post signs prohibiting firearms.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Watch it with carrying or even concealing in your vehicle if you're entering a Reservation. You may want to call the Res authority to clarify the law. I almost got buried under a jail on a Navajo Res in AZ for having a loaded firearm in my console. My TX CHP held no sway in that instance. I wasn't in AZ according to the cop. I was in the Navajo Nation.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I've carry on the Mescalero Res several times, but then again I never got pulled over there thankfully.

I need to get to Moab. Been building up a fronty into an overlander. When is a good time to go? Like not crowded and good weather?

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Do not carry on ANY tribal lands in any state without the specific permission (you won't get it) of the tribal government. There is no reciprocity for any state there.
    The only thing that saved me was my dog being with me. Had it not been for Shovelhead not having a place to go, I honestly think that officer would have arrested me. He was really pissed off. I think maybe he was a little over the top, but I wasn't saying shit except yes sir and no sir. I can't imagine what would have happened to me being thrown into a Navajo jail until seeing a judge.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I've carry on the Mescalero Res several times, but then again I never got pulled over there thankfully.

I need to get to Moab. Been building up a fronty into an overlander. When is a good time to go? Like not crowded and good weather?
    Busiest time is summer. The farther you are from that the less crowded it will be. "Good" weather would be any time trails are not wet or covered in ice/snow.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom