ARJ Defense ad

Can I legally carry hand gun in my truck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CalebSowell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Katy, Tx
    I am 20 and my dad just gave me a glock to get used to before I turn 21 and get my CHL. I understand that it is completely legal for me to own the weapon under the penal code, but the only thing that it is not clear on is if I am allowed to carry a loaded concealed handgun in my truck even though I am under the age of 21.
    Thanks, any help is appreciated.
    ARJ Defense ad

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    If you are legally able to own a handgun, then you are legally able to keep it concealed in your vehicle, with one in the chamber-if it pleases you. Rifles/shotguns you can keep anywhere in the vehicle, in the open.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is no prohibition against carrying your handgun in your vehicle as long as you meet 4 requirments;

1) the handgun cannot be in plain view.
    2) you cannot be committing a crime at the time (class C traffic violations don't matter)
    3) you cannot be prohibited by law from possesing a firearm
    4) you cannot be a member of a criminal street gang

Age is not addressed.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    There is no prohibition against carrying your handgun in your vehicle as long as you meet 4 requirments;

1) the handgun cannot be in plain view.
    2) you cannot be committing a crime at the time (class C traffic violations don't matter)
    3) you cannot be prohibited by law from possesing a firearm
    4) you cannot be a member of a criminal street gang

Age is not addressed.
    True. But depending on the county you are in, you may be over charged just to get the UCW charged added. My next door neighbor experienced this first hand. Had a minor fender bender ( less than 10 mph he rear ended someone at a stop sign) and was charged with reckless driving after he volunteered that he had a pistol in the vehicle.
    He had to get a lawyer, the UCW was dropped on the condition he surrender the gun, and the reckless driving charge was reduced to following too close.( or whatever the official charge is for having your head up your butt and fender tapping someone at a stop sign is)

I had been telling him for years to get a CHL, but he chose not to.$ 1750 in attorney's fees and losing a handgun later, he gets it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    True. But depending on the county you are in, you may be over charged just to get the UCW charged added. My next door neighbor experienced this first hand. Had a minor fender bender ( less than 10 mph he rear ended someone at a stop sign) and was charged with reckless driving after he volunteered that he had a pistol in the vehicle.
    He had to get a lawyer, the UCW was dropped on the condition he surrender the gun, and the reckless driving charge was reduced to following too close.( or whatever the official charge is for having your head up your butt and fender tapping someone at a stop sign is)

I had been telling him for years to get a CHL, but he chose not to.$ 1750 in attorney's fees and losing a handgun later, he gets it.

That is one version of story.....

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    That is one version of story.....

Well, when my wife worked in private practice, she would relay about a half a dozen of similar stories a year. I know you have to take the side of .gov as that is who you are, and I also know that you can not accept that .gov can be dirty and underhanded, but I assure you, it can be.

Top Bottom