Hurley's Gold

Can I still buy a gun if I have a felony deferred adjudication arrest on my record?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Re: Can I still buy a gun if I have a felony deferred adjudication arrest on my recor

I don't think I'd ever do business with someone who advertises like that and types like a clown. Besides, think I'd still rather pay someone for legal services given the possible repercussions. Go back and play around on craigslist Mike.

Chunky, I edited out the OP quote for respect for Sean.

Dcav

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Re: Can I still buy a gun if I have a felony deferred adjudication arrest on my recor

I don't think I'd ever do business with someone who advertises like that and types like a clown. Besides, think I'd still rather pay someone for legal services given the possible repercussions. Go back and play around on craigslist Mike.
    +1 and we wont miss you, Sean is good people, and your assed up advertizing is more than unwelcome here.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

I guess I missed somehting while I was playing trains with my two year old and putting him to bed.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx

Nah, SC, just some peckerhead trying to come get some free advertising....he was dispatched though.....pics of said train or I'm calling liar, lol.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Yes, I would like to see this choo-choo, sounds exciting. I too am a train conductor for a maniacal 2 year old. I'm just trying to keep mine away from any trains with faces. Trains don't need names unless it's Chessie System No. 57 or Santa Fe 351 in my opinion.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

Its too late. the trains have faces . . . .aaaargh.

But he loves watching videos of the old steam engines.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

Its too late; the trains have faces . . . .aaaargh.

But my 2 year old loves watching videos of the old steam engines.

levrakshun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    new braunfels

So have you actually tried to purchase one yet. they will let you know right away. All the signs point to he can go buy a firearm, am I correct

Phat69

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2011
    Katy

I did 3 years deferred for felony poss. of weed, state jail felony. You have to stay out of trouble for 5 years after you finish the probation. You can't get it expunged but you can have it sealed so most people can't see it on a check. I hear if you try to get it sealed make sure you don't piss hot.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

I did 3 years deferred for felony poss. of weed, state jail felony. You have to stay out of trouble for 5 years after you finish the probation. You can't get it expunged but you can have it sealed so most cool story bropeople can't see it on a check. I hear if you try to get it sealed make sure you don't piss hot.
    cool story bro

TillmanLaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Austin

For a felony deferred adjudication, the previous posters are correct. You must wait five years from your discharge from deferred probation before you may apply for a motion for non-disclosure (MND), which is often referred to as "sealing". Importantly, you must also NOT have any convictions during that five year waiting period (class C traffic offenses don't count). It's also important to note that there are several charges that you may NOT seal at all, ever. They are listed in the Texas Gov't Code, sec.411.081(e)(1)-(4), and are mostly obvious serious felonies like murder, kidnapping, sex offenses, etc. Probably the most common charge to make you ineligible is Assault-Family Violence, which is prohibited from non-disclosure even on a misdemeanor (first offense). The net effect of non-disclosure is that government agencies, law enforcement and licensing boards can still see it, but private entities cannot. So, it will generally help you in private background checks for jobs or apartment leases, which is very good, but will still be visible if you are trying to get a professional license (real estate, teaching, nursing, etc.). For clarification, finishing deferred alone means only that you have no conviction because the case is dismissed, but your arrest record is still visible. It does NOT set aside your plea when the case is dismissed. Doing a non-disclosure means the records of the arrest and court proceedings, and probation are also sealed from public view. It is not a perfect fix, but it's still a heck of a lot better than having a conviction. My advice would be get it sealed, then go ahead and apply to purchase the gun, just be sure to read all the questions and answer them accurately. Best of luck!

Brian

Top Bottom