Military Camp

Can someone help me understand this HOA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    An HOA is just an excuse for busybodies to exert control over other people. The one exception I have seen was where the HOA owned a lake and all the residents could use the lake. The HOA collected dues and mowed a park and kept up a boat ramp.

Run, run, run from an HOA.
    Lynx Defense

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    SOME HOA's are beneficial to the HO the way SOME rattlesnake's don't bite....

I lived in ONE HOA controlled subdivision in my life. It got bad enough that I put together a coalition, ran for President with some others running for the other offices, then at the next HOA meeting, successfully campaigned to dissolve the HOA. Previous board would fine for the smallest "offense", and the bylaws were written loosely enough that they could get away with it. From that time on, I've refused to live in a HOA-mandated community. You would NOT believe the control freaks that will weasel their way onto the board and make your life a living hell...and if you sue THEM, you're also suing yourself.

RUN. And as mentioned, they can decide to raise annual/monthly dues at will. I've seen HOA's with dues of $7-10k annually (and more).

TexasRedneck,

FYI, the actual source of my "sister of the heart's problems" with the HOA in her subdivision was (believe it or not) that her next door neighbor was ANGRY that Sarah got a new Jaguar sports car for Christmas in 2009 AND that she sometimes had dinner parties for her husband's fellow officers from the Pentagon.
    ("Missy K__________" said in a letter to the HOA Board that she didn't like anybody parking on the public street in front of her house. In another letter, she said that a RED car was "too showy" & "- - - - might affect property values".)

When I read copies of her "complaint letters", I actually LOL.
    (As readers may have guessed, I think HOAs are WITHOUT real value & their boards are generally are mainly "populated by" FOOLS, MORONS, BUSYBODIES & other worthless creatures.)

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    HOA's usually start out with good intentions of wanting to help keep property values up and insure a nice neighborhood. Problem is, you know what good intentions get you most of the time. Plus factor in some power-hungry dictator that wants to rule over the neighborhood gets placed in charge making the residents live's a miserable experience living there. Also HOA's tend to get sold off to investors that only care about money, and usually have some idiot running the show.

I can't abide someone telling me what I can, or can't do with property that I own as long as what I'm doing is legal. Part of the reason I live in very rural area of the county. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I had to fill out a request to repair my fence after a hurricane (long and painful story - suffice it to say the HOA sucks). I saw a very similar paragraph and edited it (pdf editor) to read that the HOA understands that if it comes on the property without my expressed written permission that they will be arrested for trespassing. I filled out the rest of the document and they signed and stamped it and sent me a copy.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL,

TGT has all sorts of REAL experts on a variety of subjects/professions/skilled trades.

ONE of those REAL EXPERTS is "Eli", who is a Real Estate Broker & EXPERT in that profession in Harris County. = Eli has forgotten more about the R/E business than most people know.

FWIW,, you may want to ask IF joining the HOA is MANDATORY to own/occupy property in that subdivision.
    (When I lived in Prince William County, VA one property that we considered purchasing had REQUIRED HOA membership & two others had OPTIONIAL memberships in their associations. - Where we finally bought the TH, we did NOT join the HOA but did join their swim club, as my niece wanted to take swimming lessons/use their pool: SIX bucks per month.)

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

I cannot resist telling everyone how I dealt successfully with the NOSY B@ST@RDS from the HOA when I leased a house near Ft Drum, NY. = It took only ONE time of "turning the girls out to run" to END the "prowling around" by the HOA's inspectors.
    (Belle & Star were littermates/Dobies & DOWNRIGHT UNFRIENDLY to strangers.)

yours, satx

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    My HOA is some wild hogs, deer, coons, coyotes, and various other varmints that I kill when they displease me.
    My shed got wasp that tried to hijack. Still unsure what type they were. Large, red bodies but black and yellow rears. Big attitudes. Lol otherwise my hoa is peaceful.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My shed got wasp that tried to hijack. Still unsure what type they were. Large, red bodies but black and yellow rears. Big attitudes. Lol otherwise my hoa is peaceful.

Sam7sf,

I'd much sooner deal with wasps, hornets, brown recluse spiders & poisonous snakes than most bureaucrats.

yours, satx

Top Bottom