Join TexasGunTalk

Can the Sandpaper Belt Knife Sharpeners Do This?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Hoji, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Gotta post pics to be credible. Brains posted a pic, and while not as polished as sharpening by hand, it is still better than I have seen from these machines.

2. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I have the 5 belt set it came with, starts at 65 grit and ends at like 2000 I think? It is capable of holding a fair edge, but the problem is how I treat this knife. The edge, hell the profile doesn't last long because I'm usually doing things I shouldn't. Mostly slicing cardboard and packing tape, but far too often I'm cutting wood, copper wire, using it as a screwdriver, opening tin cans, prying things open, you name it. It's even got a nice arc weld spot on it from when I was using it to cut through foam tape holding lead acid battery pack terminal caps. Crossed adjacent terminals, oops. Ever since Benchmade's position on gun owners became known, I've kinda made that knife pay for their sins :)

It probably can do better than what I end up with. I really don't like sharpening, so I only go as far as it takes to slice paper and call it done.

3. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Professional knife makers do indeed use belt grinders to make, sharpen, and polish knives. What they don't use are those little hobby sharpeners, which aren't worth a warm bucket of spit.

As for a strop, that doesn't sharpen the knife, it's used to remove the wire edge that forms when the knife is sharpened.

Power tools do the same jobs as hand tools, they just allow you to screw things up much, much faster.

cycleguy2300 and CyberWolf like this.
  4. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have a WS Ken Onion that I have yet to try out. I do have some blades with a convex edge that need work so I will here shortly.
    I also have a Wicked Edge that I love.
    How sharp you get a blade depends on several factors.
    Type and hardness of steel, bevel edge or convex, angle and how fine a grit you use. But one of the most important factors is consistancy. From start to almost finished, you have to keep the same angle thru all grits. Final polish with a strop needs to be slightly less angle due to the give in the softer leather. Convex is much harder to hand stop without a belt than beveled edges. Convex is slightly rounded and needs a belt that gives a little. Beveled works better with a strop on a flat surface.
    The type edge depends on the use. A convex edge is good for heavy camp work, but harder for most to put on and maintain. A beveled edge is what most knives have and is easier to put on and keep sharp for most people.
    Cheap low quality metals can be sharpened to a very sharp edge and even polished to a mirror finish. The just don't stay anywhere near as long.

Consistent is the key and only comes with practice. Lots of it. A knife guy showed me many years ago. I practiced for weeks on a Puma folder I had to even get decent at it. He was better, but 30 years older than me too. I have gotten a little better over the years.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hoji and Big Dipper like this.
  5. just country

just country Active Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, knife sharpening takes practice. I have a new belt
    sharpener. purchased extra leather belt for the operation.
    I also have an Arkansas large stone I use for short
    blade knives and leather strop. my favorite lub for sharpening
    knives is use auto trans fluid and use motor oil. very slick, with lots of
    carbon. I have been sharpening knives for
    50yrs. SS knives r the worst for sharpening. Hoji
    is very knowledgeable on the art. justme gbot tum

6. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    Really does not matter so much what tool is used, good sharpening requires good technique regardless. Without good technique, no tool will provide a good edge.

Big Dipper likes this.
  7. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

This wasn't done with those cheap little stone sharpeners, but was done with an assortment of files, along with a lot of progressively finer sandpaper. :cool:

It's not a perfect mirror shine, but I doubt it makes much difference. The first swing is going to ruin that fancy schmancy finish. There's not much point in putting in even more time to get it perfect (this thing was rough when I got it).

57c66e1099a2be486fc9caa94ea7c148.jpg

222e64413517f4f579515218b8762f69.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  8. Reinz

Reinz Well-Known

Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    ‘Looks like a mighty fine ax job to me.

just country, deemus and Maverick44 like this.
  9. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    All I axed is to show your work. Well done.

just country likes this.
  10. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

I have a machete to sharpen, what is your process / techinique?