DK Firearms

Can the Sandpaper Belt Knife Sharpeners Do This?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have a machete to sharpen, what is your process / techinique?
    I use a mill bastard file and brace the blade against a post or tree like
    15B445E9-F429-4D75-94E9-A07EB69F0625.jpeg
    Then CAREFULLY work the file toward the blade at the angle I want and lightly shave steel on both sides to the desired sharpness. Use the guards/handles on the file. Not doing so can easily end up with new scars.
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• 15B445E9-F429-4D75-94E9-A07EB69F0625.jpeg
      15B445E9-F429-4D75-94E9-A07EB69F0625.jpeg
      795 KB · Views: 377

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Bought myself a new file today. Planning to put it in my vise and get it sharp tonight.
    Does your vise turn 90 degrees?
    I have one that does. I like filing on the blade when it is flat. I will typically brace the grip on my hip/belt and use my free hand to support the blade at the spine while I file.
    I can pull my hand away easier than make it defy gravity if it slips going down toward the blade

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    Few appreciate the work it takes to hand sharpen a knife. I have an assortment of stones that I like to use and I always strop in cardboard/newspaper.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    That's because the percentage of the population who enjoy the process likely coincides with obsessive compulsive disorder rates :)

Agreed. To me, sharpening is a job. It needs to be done effectively, but as efficiently and quickly as possible. I don’t need to enjoy it. I just need to get it done.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Does your vise turn 90 degrees?
    I have one that does. I like filing on the blade when it is flat. I will typically brace the grip on my hip/belt and use my free hand to support the blade at the spine while I file.
    I can pull my hand away easier than make it defy gravity if it slips going down toward the blade

It does not rotate. I have lots of light on it and took my time. I was correcting a job I tried to do with my grinder. Def will use the file from now on.

Going to look at it again again tonight. Never used a file before. Good call on the plastic handle though. Makes it easier and safer.

I have a bunch of files, but decided to get a new one from Harbor Freight. They only had Harbor Freight files, but it worked fine. I got the finest ridges I could find.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    It does not rotate. I have lots of light on it and took my time. I was correcting a job I tried to do with my grinder. Def will use the file from now on.

Going to look at it again again tonight. Never used a file before. Good call on the plastic handle though. Makes it easier and safer.
    How many times did you bump the handle?

Top Bottom