Guns International

Can you / sgould get a flu shot while youre sick?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I am getting conflicting info on whether it s a good or bad idea to get a flu shot while you're sick?

What say TGT?
    DK Firearms

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Depends on what you're sick with. If you already have the flu, there's no benefit to the vaccine anymore - you're too late. Tamiflu may help if you get it quickly enough, though. But if you have an illness that isn't related to the flu, getting the vaccine will still have the desired effect - triggering your immune system to being producing antibodies against this years flu strains.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My doc said last year the flu shot had a 20% effectiveness rate. This year it would be below 10% since swine flu is the prevalent strain, and the flu shot didn't account for that strain.

And, he said don't get it if you already have the flu.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    This year's flu vaccine is only a "best guess" which flu strains will be targeted. I'd rather eat some undercooked pork and hope my immune system adapts to fight the swine flu.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'm down with the flu atm. Loading up on vitamin D and C helps allot. I'm taking 5 times recommended daily on the D and about 3-5 grams of C. Make sure to spread the C throughout the day, if you take too much at once it can make you constipated (i use the pure ascorbic acid powder mixed in water or juice and sip it). So far i haven't gotten above a very low grade fever, just really lethargic and have a headache.

This regimen also works well at preventing the flu, much more so than rolling the dice with the flu shot. Whole reason the flu is prevalent this time of year, we get less sun and therefore less vitamin D. Just wished i had followed my own advice on this and i might not be sick right now.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    You can get the flu shot while you have the flu. As stated, there are many different strains of the flu, and the vaccine covers more than just one. So if you are sick with strain X, you can get the shot still, so that you are covered for strains Y and Z. I was told by a nurse friend of mine that this years vaccine does cover the H1N1 strain that is so prevalent this year, but he is one of those guys that just makes up things to make himself look smart sometimes....so here's your grain of salt with that bit of info.

diveRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    The Metroplex
    Care to elaborate?

I've only had the actual flu once, back in the late '80s.

My reasons for not getting one annually are personal. As stated above, the flu shot is a "best guess" as to the strain that it's designed to protect you against. Even in years when they guess more correctly than not, best efficacy is around 45-55%. That's a one in two chance that the drug they're giving you will combat the circulating virus. IMO, I would rather take other precautions such as meticulous and frequent hand washing (and hand sanitizer use), avoiding crowds when and where I can, and staying in a good state of general health versus putting an unknown chemical, or more correctly - a cocktail of chemicals, in my body every year. Because I refused the annual vaccination, I was required to wear a surgical mask while at work in the hospital I worked in most recently. Something I gladly did. I had to fly to NYC in January one year for a conference... I wore a mask on the plane and I wasn't alone. That's just me though.

Further, my wife has had the annual vaccine several times and has gotten sick shortly thereafter on three occasions. I know a LOT of people that have been sick following a flu shot. My wife didn't necessarily get the flu, but the flu-shot-induced immune response most likely overwhelmed her and put her on the couch, the worst of it lasted more than a week. She hasn't had the vaccine in 5 years ... and she hasn't been sick with other than a mild head cold in that time. My kid, a 4th grader, has never had one and has yet to get the flu (knocking on wood). Thankfully, his school has a strict hand-hygiene policy that they enforce pretty firmly.

Does that mean I'm against flu shots? No. I think people who have long-term health problems or that are immunocompromised SHOULD get an annual flu shot. On this population, the flu can kill them. Otherwise, generally healthy folks should quit smoking, cut out the crap in their diet, get some regular exercise, and take appropriate precautions during flu season.

Just my .02.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    You can get the flu shot while you have the flu. As stated, there are many different strains of the flu, and the vaccine covers more than just one. So if you are sick with strain X, you can get the shot still, so that you are covered for strains Y and Z. I was told by a nurse friend of mine that this years vaccine does cover the H1N1 strain that is so prevalent this year, but he is one of those guys that just makes up things to make himself look smart sometimes....so here's your grain of salt with that bit of info.

I think you meant, "does NOT" cover H1N1. There have been stories on TV that it does not. And my doc told me it doesn't too.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I've never gotten it, nor have I had "the flu" in a few years, though my daughter does get the shot. I may have to do a bit more research and rethink getting her one from here on out.

When I was young, everyone in the family would wind up getting sick at the same time every year. We just suffered thru it and never did it once get to the point of needing to go to the hospital.

diveRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    The Metroplex
    I think you meant, "does NOT" cover H1N1. There have been stories on TV that it does not. And my doc told me it doesn't too.

Some flu shots do vaccinate against H1N1. The ones administered by my previous employer did. Swine flu is reaching epidemic levels in certain parts of California.

The good news is that the current flu vaccines offer protection against Pandemic H1N1, as well as Influenza A H3N2 and Influenza B strains. The CDC has determined that the vaccines are well matched for the currently circulating viruses.

Full article here.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    We got our shots again this year, with a baby less than 4 weeks away it certainly seemed prudent. Also made sure we're all up on our pertussis (TDaP/DTaP) vaccines. Thankfully, no GBS cases in our family, and as I understand it, there's speculation there may be a genetic component making some susceptible. I also regularly donate blood, so I figure if I was going to be one of the rare GBS sufferers, I'd already have come down with it by now. According to the pharmacist, ours did cover H1N1, but who knows. FWIW there's a couple folks at work who came down with the flu already, one is still regularly coming to work ill - even after going to the doc and having it confirmed. Says "oh it's just a sinus infection or allergies now." I firmly instruct said person to stay the hell away from me, and I steer clear of those in the same department for good measure.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've only had the actual flu once, back in the late '80s.

My reasons for not getting one annually are personal. As stated above, the flu shot is a "best guess" as to the strain that it's designed to protect you against. Even in years when they guess more correctly than not, best efficacy is around 45-55%. That's a one in two chance that the drug they're giving you will combat the circulating virus. IMO, I would rather take other precautions such as meticulous and frequent hand washing (and hand sanitizer use), avoiding crowds when and where I can, and staying in a good state of general health versus putting an unknown chemical, or more correctly - a cocktail of chemicals, in my body every year. Because I refused the annual vaccination, I was required to wear a surgical mask while at work in the hospital I worked in most recently. Something I gladly did. I had to fly to NYC in January one year for a conference... I wore a mask on the plane and I wasn't alone. That's just me though.

Further, my wife has had the annual vaccine several times and has gotten sick shortly thereafter on three occasions. I know a LOT of people that have been sick following a flu shot. My wife didn't necessarily get the flu, but the flu-shot-induced immune response most likely overwhelmed her and put her on the couch, the worst of it lasted more than a week. She hasn't had the vaccine in 5 years ... and she hasn't been sick with other than a mild head cold in that time. My kid, a 4th grader, has never had one and has yet to get the flu (knocking on wood). Thankfully, his school has a strict hand-hygiene policy that they enforce pretty firmly.

Does that mean I'm against flu shots? No. I think people who have long-term health problems or that are immunocompromised SHOULD get an annual flu shot. On this population, the flu can kill them. Otherwise, generally healthy folks should quit smoking, cut out the crap in their diet, get some regular exercise, and take appropriate precautions during flu season.

Just my .02.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of nurse are you? Just curious.

I'm an IM resident (to be clear). I've seen quite a bit of influenza this year. A few cases of H1N1 to boot. The ER's here are in full panic mode right now. With everyone with respiratory symptom getting Tamiflu despite normal screens.

I find most of the reasons for NOT getting the Flu shot are cultural, anecdotal, and/or generally silly. It can commonly cause a mild reaction, which is common and can generally be avoided by taking some Tylenol with it.

I agree that most people would be most helped by a healthy diet, quitting smoking, and regular exercise. I'm quite sure those surgical masks won't help much, and avoiding crowds is somewhat unrealistic for most.

It won't keep you from getting the flu. It does reduce the number of people who die from influenza.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Pretty much how I feel about it. If you're generally healthy the flu is no big deal, so there's no point to getting the shot. My mom gets it every year because she's in her 70's, has a few other health issues, and is always around the snot nosed sticky grand kids. It makes sense for her.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    My experience has been thus: I never used to get the Flu vaccine and would come down with it maybe every 2nd or 3rd season. Since I started getting the Flu shots regularly every year, I've never come down with it and that's now been for 13 years straight. I swear by the Flu shot and will continue to get it every year.

Top Bottom