Capitol Armory ad

Can you shoot deer at the austin rifle club?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 300blk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Was shooting there recently and 2 deer ran through the range. I didnt get my license yet so I didnt shoot, but I would have otherwise.

I looked at the range rules and it didnt have any prohibitions against it. Does anyone know for sure if it is officially banned?
    Hurley's Gold

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Was shooting there recently and 2 deer ran through the range. I didnt get my license yet so I didnt shoot, but I would have otherwise.

I looked at the range rules and it didnt have any prohibitions against it. Does anyone know for sure if it is officially banned?
    I'm glad you didn't have a license at the time. Gun owners & hunters catch enough shit for stupid actions of a few. So would you have called a cease fire to recover the deer or waited until everyone else stopped?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    You’d be in deep shit if you did.

Wouldn’t be legal without written consent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More than likely this.
    If you don't own the property, or have control of the property management, you need written permission on your person to hunt. I have talked to people that have gotten caught. As well as game wardens.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Camp Bullis Sportsman's Range has wildlife walking through it all the time. Deer, turkeys, you name it. The RO gets excited as the rifles will turn in their direction when they show up along the periphery; but that's just everyone checking them out through their scopes. We know better than to shoot an animal at a gun range!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    § 42.09. CRUELTY TO ANIMALS.

Reads towards the bottom and you'll notice why shooting a deer on a gun range will get your a$$ hooked up. Especially if the owner of the property pushes it.

Look for the word, "Depredation".

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Don’t know what depredation has to do with it, or animal cruelty. Game laws are clear.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...eneral-regulations/laws-penalties-restitution

A person who hunts without landowner consent and kills a desert bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, white-tailed deer, or mule deer commits an offense that is a Parks and Wildlife Code state jail felony. Upon conviction, your hunting and fishing license is automatically revoked”

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've never known a gun club in Texas that allowed members to hunt the club property. Every club I've ever joined has made it clear that they'd kick you out and worse if you did.

I have kin in Alabama in a different situation. Their club is mostly a hunting preserve with a tiny sighting-in range that gets recreational use year-round. I've never seen anything like that in Texas though I'd guess such a thing probably exists. Still, somehow, I doubt ARC falls in that category.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    § 42.09. CRUELTY TO ANIMALS.

Reads towards the bottom and you'll notice why shooting a deer on a gun range will get your a$$ hooked up. Especially if the owner of the property pushes it.

Look for the word, "Depredation".

Except that section says an animal is defined as:

(a)(2) “Animal” means a domesticated living creature, including any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured.  The term does not include an uncaptured wild living creature or a livestock animal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Except that section says an animal is defined as:

(a)(2) “Animal” means a domesticated living creature, including any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured.  The term does not include an uncaptured wild living creature or a livestock animal.

I wondered if anybody would read it....and then notice it directs to the Texas Parks and Wildlife codes.

Just so there's no misunderstanding on this,

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PW/htm/PW.61.htm#61.022

(The owner of the range did not give permission)

That's one of many fine detail laws that makes it against the law to shoot a deer on a gun range. As a responding officer. You will get arrested. Then it's an explanation to the judge on why you're shooting animals at a non hunting sporting event.

Better hope to above nobody video records you doing it. The range will be toast. It'll make national news and every dick liberal from sea to shining sea will be after your back side.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wondered if anybody would read it....and then notice it directs to the Texas Parks and Wildlife codes.

Just so there's no misunderstanding on this,

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PW/htm/PW.61.htm#61.022

(The owner of the range did not give permission)

That's one of many fine detail laws that makes it against the law to shoot a deer on a gun range. As a responding officer. You will get arrested. Then it's an explanation to the judge on why you're shooting animals at a non hunting sporting event.

Better hope to above nobody video records you doing it. The range will be toast. It'll make national news and every dick liberal from sea to shining sea will be after your back side.

There’s no “fine detail” to it. The law is clear and it’s easily found information.

You just posted the wrong info because you think it had something to do with animal cruelty for some reason.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I believe all the ranges I've belonged to had rules against shooting wildlife. Did you happen to ask, or just look at the range rules?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom