• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    A Glock or M&P is considered a "fun gun"? What's so special about either of them and where does the Canik fall short in comparison?

For fun? Aftermarket.
    Point Blur_Apr252019_135336.jpg

And i mostly carry a stock glock, so the fun in that is getting better with the gun i have with me every second of the day

Attachments

• Point Blur_Apr252019_135336.jpg
      Point Blur_Apr252019_135336.jpg
      685.7 KB · Views: 242

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    When it comes to the plastic and fantastic guns, I like the Glock. But, most of mine are Gen 2s with a Gen 3 here and there. They work and work and work.... That said, there is no pride of ownership in these guns. Nothing like a classic Smith & Wesson or Colt revolver or a fine 1911.

We have a running joke at my buddy's range when someone brings in a new Glock.
    "Hey, I just traded for another Glock, wanna see it?"
    "Nah, already seen it."

Meh. Guns are things. I'm not proud of something anyone can buy, I'm proud of what I've learned with it.

Being proud that you own a piece of metal is what people who don't shoot much do

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    To each his own. I'm with Geezer on this. I have always viewed finely made mechanical things as functional works of art. I'd rather drive a Porsche than a Camry, or rather shoot a classic S&W than a Glock. In either case, the second choice might be more practical, but has no soul.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Meh. Guns are things. I'm not proud of something anyone can buy, I'm proud of what I've learned with it.

Being proud that you own a piece of metal is what people who don't shoot much do

I'm sorry that you don't understand pride of ownership. Maybe someday you will.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    To each his own. I'm with Geezer on this. I have always viewed finely made mechanical things as functional works of art. I'd rather drive a Porsche than a Camry, or rather shoot a classic S&W than a Glock. In either case, the second choice might be more practical, but has no soul.
    100% agree

Sent from one of those newfangled pocket computers using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I'm sorry that you don't understand pride of ownership. Maybe someday you will.

I understand pride of ownership. Maybe its a house, or a nice car, something that is out of reach for lots of people

But some 1911 cranked out by the thousands, or a revolver cranked out by the thousands, that maybe costs $200-$300 more than the average polymer pistol, yeah, no. Theres exceptions of course, heirlooms, things like korth, nighthawk, etc.

But since we're being snide, and making assumptions, sorry you are too wrapped up in some vague concept of "owning X makes you better" instead of shooting and training, which actually does make you better.

What you own doesn't matter if your 7yd target looks like 00 buck at 50 yards

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Its funny though, a thread about a cheap turkish import pistol has a bunch of people yelling at clouds about pride of ownership.

If you'd rather shoot an old S&W revolver, plenty of police trade in .38's at, or near the same price as a canik

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    And, it's also funny how some people will assume that they are the only ones that train or shoot. I guess every forum has their resident tactical commando. Nice to meet you.
    Our conversation has reached it's end. Have a good day.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’ll have you know my Hi-Point is the centerpiece of my collection!

Collection or armory? Collection to me implies different firearms, but a true gentleman should have multiple ca$h money Hi-points, an armory, if you will

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    No, we just shoot the livin shit outta DarkPreist's...:green:

It has around 6k rounds down the tube at this point. The TP9SF. The elite only has about 2500 down the tube. Barrels both still look good. Everyone else lets me shoot their stuff they're more than welcome to shoot mine.

Being a nato member doesn't guarantee access to US markets, look at Germany and H&K

Yes, a nice trigger can be fun, but if I'm looking at a fun gun, theres a long list id rather have. When you can get a used glock or M&P for about $300, a star 9mm for what, like $200, and even a used USP can be had for about $500, its hard to see what exactly the caniks offer over other

No. Have held a lot and have shot more than a few.

The M and P trigger is awful and I personally do not like the M and P line of pistols. The Star BM I own one. You can get it for 200, and you're going to spend either 40 man hours cleaning it up and making it functional or do what I did and pay a gun smith 300 dollars to clean it up and reblue it. The Star is NOT reliable (in my testing) I've only got about 400 rounds through it but I've had 3 failures. 2 Were stove pipes that may have been my fault, the third was a failure to go into battery that was absolutely the firearm.

When and where will the Canik vs. Glock to the death cage match take place?

Whenever one of you folks offers to be the trusted 3rd party in the deal. That being said I'm always happy to throw down a few thousand rounds and we can just do it for fun since Robert has gone AWOL since I offered to buy the ammo! Stock versus Stock, mine has no modifications. Glock 19 or 17 (although the 17 is more comparable to the TP9SF and the 19 to the TP9SF elite.) I'm sure one of you guys has a glock sitting around and we can do it for fun!

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    The M and P trigger is awful and I personally do not like the M and P line of pistols.

I like my Shield and M&P 45, both Gen 1, but you're right, the triggers were not great. They have smoothed out quite a bit through dry fire and use. They're still not fantastic but I've gotten used to them.

Different strokes. The M&P pistols fit my hand well and I can shoot them decently. I still want to try a Canik.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I think the fun part is when you buy them for $300 - $400 and then spend another $450 to make them half decent

I've yet to have that issue. I tend to keep my pistols stock though. The only upgrade I'd ever really see the need to do would be a new trigger but I've just learned to adjust to the stock ones instead. It helps that I actually like the M&P hinged triggers.

Edit: OK and maybe having a slide milled if I chose to go with a RDS but that'd be a preference versus buying an optics ready pistol.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Whenever one of you folks offers to be the trusted 3rd party in the deal. That being said I'm always happy to throw down a few thousand rounds and we can just do it for fun since Robert has gone AWOL since I offered to buy the ammo! Stock versus Stock, mine has no modifications. Glock 19 or 17 (although the 17 is more comparable to the TP9SF and the 19 to the TP9SF elite.) I'm sure one of you guys has a glock sitting around and we can do it for fun!
    What gen Glock would you want to use? I mean...IMO this could be an overlooked matter.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    If we’re really gonna do this thing rules need to be determined.
    1) How many rounds?
    2) I’d think timing the shooting can’t really be done. Each shooter will have to reload and replenish mags as things go along. That will be different for each gun and amount of mags.
    So elapsed time isn’t credible.
    3) Will the firing be as fast as possible? Or just a steady rate to slide lock? The purpose here is to test each guns reliability right? Not accuracy so blasting away without counting target score is okay?
    4) Gun is run until first failure(whatever it is)then that gun is DQ’ed.
    Rounds successfully fired until failure will be the score.

Sound about right?

Top Bottom