• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Looking into a way of storing meat. I read into canning raw meat. Seems straight forward enough. The jar don't look appetizing. More horror film on the side of things.

Does anyone have experience in canned meat? Advice on spices? How does it taste after being cooked?

9uc

Bible/Gun carrying Christian Conservative
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Humble, TX
    Wish I could help. You might want to check into some of the "prepper" forums. If you can find one that is not obsessed with the "Zombie end of the world as we know it" crap, you can gain a lot of info. To this day I still have an interest in it, especially the meal in a jar idea, dehydrated and freeze dried foods. I even found a lot of step by step videos online. I could not talk the wife into developing any interest or commitment to any participation in the project, so even though I had started gathering some starter supplies, I finally gave it up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    By definition if you canned it, it would be cooked in the process.

There's a difference. Raw meat is referred to as raw pack. Cooked meat, hot pack. The canned raw meat is pressured canned for 90mins. Higher then boiling. Around 240.

The raw pack meat has to be cooked after opening. Recommend boiling temp for 15-20mins. Before you can even taste it.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Must! pressure can meat, or you risk botulism, among other things. I don't know of any homesteaders that don't pressure cook. I like the raw pack method. Kinda cures and cooks it at same time. Usually don't do too much spice. Salt mostly. You're not going to to get gourmet meats when opened, but it will be good for stews, chili, soups, casseroles, etc.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    we have always cooked any meat we canned. Never heard of pressure canning raw meat before

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Texasyankee and grasshopperglock are correct. Texture wise, what you wind up with is a lot like boiled chicken or pot roast. Flavor wise, whatever you add to it will help. It's basically like making a can of chunky soup or stew in a glass jar.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Can any of you point me to a GOOD quality stainless steel pressure cooker/canner that will hold at least 24 quart jars??
    (I've looked & found ZILCH like the pressure canner that my GM had/used at least until the early 1960s. - After her death in 1962, somebody "tossed it out" as useless.)

yours, satx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    To All,

Can any of you point me to a GOOD quality stainless steel pressure cooker/canner that will hold at least 24 quart jars??
    (I've looked & found ZILCH like the pressure canner that my GM had/used at least until the early 1960s. - After her death in 1962, somebody "tossed it out" as useless.)

yours, satx

Amazon. Looking myself. Bezos has other places beat.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    To All,

yours, satx

Saw one of TV just the other day. People seem to be leaving them on the street.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    grasshopperglock,

I guess that I didn't say that very well. - I was looking for advice (from someone who has/uses a pressure canner) as to WHICH one is best for the money invested.

yours, satx

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    To All,

yours, satx

I don't know of any that large. Maybe commercial cannsrs? 24 quart jars is an incredible amount of space needed. The canner would be very tall, like 4' tall. My stove probably wouldn't even hold that much weight. Maybe an electric pressure cooker? I have a 21 quart canner and can fit 7 quart jars in it. If it's relative, 24 quart jars would require a 60 to 70 quart canner. It would take hours for that to heat, let alone the weight.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    The all American ones are good. No seal to deal with. The 41.5 quart size is by volume not by jars held. it will do 19 quart jars at a time. Find one in a resell you can still get parts for the old ones

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Tony2,

THANKS fo the info/advice. 19 jars at a time will work.
    (My GM's canner was HUGE, at least to the eyes of a pre-teenaged kid. - My aunt said that it was "pitched out" as it was "in the way".)

yours, satx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    grasshopperglock,

I guess that I didn't say that very well. - I was looking for advice (from someone who has/uses a pressure canner) as to WHICH one is best for the money invested.

yours, satx

It's how I cook black eyed peas. 6qt presto stainless pressure cooker. The bigger jobs, canners....I haven't seen them in stainless. Mom had a huge one. Alloy.

I'm in the market for a canner too. As for using a pressure cooker. I use it probably about 3-4 times a month. It'll cook a roast in 45mins. Peas take 11 mins.

I'm not getting a canner that has the no seal lid. The one that has knobs on top, looks like a glue pot. I'd rather just crank the lid to lock. Clean the gasket after. Plus there's a big gap in price between the two. The one with the knobs is American made. Presto is imported.

Last edited:

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Tony2,

THANKS fo the info/advice. 19 jars at a time will work.
    (My GM's canner was HUGE, at least to the eyes of a pre-teenaged kid. - My aunt said that it was "pitched out" as it was "in the way".)

yours, satx

Your welcome, Its sad to hear things like that get thrown out. I found a medium size older model at an antique store sitting out front on the sidewalk in Fredericksburg paid 25$ went to the all American site and ordered a new regulator and gauge. Now I have two and can multi task different vegetables or a stew. (Different cooking times) There is no seal on the all American which is a big plus they get old and crack and if it blows out it will ruin what your canning.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Tony2,

The same person who "pitched out" the pressure cooker/canner also threw away 2 quilts that a soldier boy (He was a PVT in the 4th MS Infantry.) from our family came home from the Battle of Shiloh, wrapped up in, to heal-up from his wounds. She later said, "Nobody would want those old things; they had blood stains all over them, so I sent them to the town dump."

She MAY have thrown away or sold other historically significant things too from my GF home, while she was "cleaning up".
    Another group of things that is certainly "gone without a trace" is my G-G-G uncle's "war trunk" that contained his (overly ornate!!) Major of CSA Artillery full-dress uniform, an engraved English-made key-wind pocket watch (cased in coin silver), 2 Adams pistols, gun/sword belt with holsters, a saber (by Memphis Novelty Works), boots/spurs, a packet of "letters from home" & perhaps other items.
    (My GF showed the contents of the trunk to me when I was about 11YO & told me, "These things will come to you when you grow up. NEVER SELL any of them, as they are part of our family's heritage.", so I know the trunk/contents were in the attic, when my GF passed away. - I suspect that those items were stolen/sold.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    I can relate. I know of people in the family that would steal what they wanted and justify it saying they deserved it more or thats the way the "now dead" person told them they wanted it. Makes you want to vomit

Top Bottom