Join TexasGunTalk

Cannon refinishing

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by lightflyer1, Feb 17, 2020.

1. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
    I have always wanted a cannon. Not one of those itty bitty ones but something bigger. So the other day I had the chance to pick one up. But it needs some work. It looks to be an old Traditions Napoleon 111 .69 caliber black powder cannon. It needs some work though. I would like to get the barrel refinished along with most of the hardware. It seems to have originally been nickel plated as some of the bottom of the barrel still has the finish on it but almost none on the sides and top. Looking for ideas on who to use, what to do to it. Could go back to nickel or have what remains removed and have it hot blued or something else. I will work on redoing the carriage while the metal work is redone. Here are some current pics of it. Give me some ideas and names of places that may do this kind of thing. Blackjack gunsmith is near me and I will be consulting him as well. Thanks! 27" overall with a 15" barrel.

7eLyLsKh.jpg

mckDuVlh.jpg

OANsllmh.jpg

mPutirqh.jpg

EZ-E, BMF500, TreyG-20 and 1 other person like this.
  2. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Patina is your friend!

V-Tach and Charlie like this.
  3. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Nice. Been looking for one myself.

4. EZ-E

EZ-E Freedom vs Tyranny 2020 TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Cypress
    Yep, that will put another notch in your man card. Well done sir. Shes a beauty. I like the patina look also. I also like the restored look. Maybe you should by a 2nd so you can have both looks :green:

5. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

6. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
  7. EZ-E

EZ-E Freedom vs Tyranny 2020 TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Cypress
    I totally thought the cannon was bigger. I never noticed the yard stick & I thought the cannon was on concrete not carpet.
    Guess i had too much vodak

toddnjoyce and Davetex like this.
  8. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

That’s what she said.

Dad_Roman, EZ-E, Dawico and 2 others like this.
  9. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    .69 caliber is the same sized flintlock muskets the French provided the American revolutionaries 100K of, in the form of the Charleville smoothbore. And most folks know the size of a .50 caliber round, so the model size was more-or-less discernible from that aspect.

OP: I would say a gunsmith specializing in historical restorations or replicas of flintlocks or cap & ball long guns would probably know his way around your cannon (or could figure it out). For help and/or recommendations, you might try contacting Brownell’s or the NRA Museum and see who they might recommend. (Just my thoughts....YMMV).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  10. just country

just country Active Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, very nice battery. baboon comment on the rust bluing
    is a good observation. ur civil war states have societies that
    restore and collect vintage cannons. go to youtube and enter
    what restorations and info u need. justme gbot tum