image.jpg

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Cannons/Howitzers!

M101, M102, M119, M198, M110 and M109A2. Did the bunny hop on all of them.

"I shot a round into the air -- where it lands I know not where."

"**** it, drop 400."

Be well.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Almost bought one a couple years ago.

Then realized the cost/shot.

The guys I know that live fire cannons will only fire into big ol' dirt berms or hills so they can reclaim and reuse the iron shot.

- Friction primers are about $1.10 each, though fuse is much cheaper.
    - Black powder in bulk at about $300/25 lbs shipped, or a 25 lb bag in person for $200, maybe a bit less.
    - Don't remember how much cannon balls cost, but I know they are expensive

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The guys I shot with in Tulsa were into BIG cannons! Mine were always small but I had a blast with them. The biggest one they used had a 1" bore and shot a 3000 grain lead slug. A day of shooting used up pounds of powder! It had motorcycle wheels on the carriage.

I saw that cannon make a direct hit on a "gong" at 100 yards. The slug tore the gong loose and it went sailing! We tried to chronograph the projectile with my Oehler 33 Chronograph. The concussion of the blast sent the sky screen assemblies flying downrange!

I still have several small cannons but don't shoot them any more. One is in my China cabinet.

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The Tulsa shooters were all machinists who turned out some incredible projects. One made a platform cannon similar to a railroad mounted gun. We never could figure out why the cannon shot so high in elevation. I took my trusty Pentax out to the range with some fast film and when the prints came back, the answer was there. The cannon platform and barrel was pointing straight up 12 o'clock! Of course, the projectile was already downrange but we figured that before leaving the barrel, the slug got a huge dose of elevation.

Flash

speedracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    houston
    we were shooting motars with a bore the size of a beer can.pack the can full of dirt CHEAP Take a small amount of powder to shoot it 3-400 yards down range we could hit a hay bale at that range.I have a old cast iron barrel about 12" long with about a 3/4" bore we had to many brewskies and over loaded it,got home and cleaning it and the water was running out of the crack at the end power and brewskies don't mix :boom:

Top Bottom