• ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Have you tried calling Dell?

If you bought this from their business division, the support is pretty good. Consumer, be prepared for a long wait and questionable help.
    Not yet, I came here because I know there knowledgeable people here. Got good suggestions but nothing I haven't already tried. I've been searching the web and have gotten no answers but there are a number of people asking the same question. I got it from Best Buy.

They have an online chat thing in their support section that I may try but when i tried something similar on another site it turns out I wasn't talking to a human.

I did come across a video on YouTube where a guy was cloning a drive on the same model using a Linux based program. This weekend when I have more time I may replace the SSD and try to install Mint.
    Capitol Armory ad

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    That sure makes it look like the USB stick might not be UEFI boot enabled.
    Thank you. I have a USB stick with Mint Linux on it. I plugged it in and booted to the boot menu and it was there.

Is there a way to make my Win 10 Pro DVD into a UEFI image (ISO) instead of a EFI image?

Is there something like a Hirens Boot CD for UEFI? or something like Rufus?

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I got a newer version or Rufus and it seems to have a an option for UEFI so i tried it and it didn't work. What am I doing wrong?
    uefi.png

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Found a "how to" video on YouTube. Turns out I had to change the Partition Scheme from MBR to GPT and now my install USB Disc works in Boot Manager. I tried to do it with Hirens but the option for GPT was not available.

Now I have to find a utility that I can use to clone a drive while in BIOS (Apparently it's not BIOS any more).

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Found a "how to" video on YouTube. Turns out I had to change the Partition Scheme from MBR to GPT and now my install USB Disc works in Boot Manager. I tried to do it with Hirens but the option for GPT was not available.

Now I have to find a utility that I can use to clone a drive while in BIOS (Apparently it's not BIOS any more).
    Clone a drive while in BIOS??? You mean a cloning utility that works outside of Windows? If so, Clonezilla will work as well as making a bootable USB from Backupper.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

no its UEFI now we still call it BIOS, but BIOS as we all know it is gone. IT's UEFI and has been for some time. Sorry I lost track of this thread. I apologize fo rnot getting back sooner. Some of the comments in here are spot on.. our Business support is second to none. Consumer... well you'll probably have to bitch a lot to get to someone like me :D

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

Glad you figured it. I use EaseUS Todo Backup and they have a free version and it has never failed me and I have needed it several times. You can created boot cds and boot usb drives easily. You can do system or partition drives and you can clone a drive. Great program that works.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    no its UEFI now we still call it BIOS, but BIOS as we all know it is gone. IT's UEFI and has been for some time. Sorry I lost track of this thread. I apologize fo rnot getting back sooner. Some of the comments in here are spot on.. our Business support is second to none. Consumer... well you'll probably have to bitch a lot to get to someone like me :D
    Thanks for the help. My newest system is about 7 yrs old and still works fine. UEFI is a new critter for me as are the new M@ SSDs.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom