• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    6.8 is great, but .308 is normally much easier to find when you need ammo. We pretty much keep to the standard cartridges because we are 2hrs from any decent ammo while at the ranch. If we don't take it with us, the closest place for ammo is 30 minutes away...and it's a Walmart.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Me neither...I just cannot bring myself to spend that much on a 223 slinger. Then along came the crazy price increases on anything AR and the fact that 223 is not easy to find or nearly as cheap as it used to be to shoot and I have even LESS desire to own one.

It has no appeal to me for home defense, either. I live too close to other houses and cannot imagine how loud that thing wold be fired inside a house. The shotgun and pistols make more sense and they sure cost less.

It has no appeal to me as a hunting rifle. On anything bigger than a coyote..the 223 is pushing it and since I already have a 30-06, I have the deer/pig hunting gun thingy covered.

For a range plinker? Forget it. Too expensive and the ammo is not cheap anymore and hard to find. The lower cost ARs (around a grand) are not really fun at the range and I don't have 1500-2500 bucks to drop on a range plinker...I have kids to feed and a house to pay for! LOL The 22 is sitll king for range plinking and I can still shoot my 8mm Mausers and Nagants cheaper than any 223 rifle.

Do I need an AR for after the hurricane? Nope...I have an AK-47 and it cost half as much and is tougher and better suited for SHTF use. I don't plan on shooting intruders at 200yds or needing a laser or huge scope...thank you.

So yeah...its ok...I have never caught the AR-15 bug either...its ok...they're not for everyone.

- brickboy240

PS: a pick-up gun? forget it...too expensive for that besides a 200 dollar Marlin 30-30 makes more sense for that and i won't cry when it rusts or gets stolen and it does not require hard to find ammo that goes in expensive magazines, either.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    PS: a pick-up gun? forget it...too expensive for that besides a 200 dollar Marlin 30-30 makes more sense for that and i won't cry when it rusts or gets stolen and it does not require hard to find ammo that goes in expensive magazines, either.

Well considering I bought mine way before the price hike it was only a few more than a .30-30 (maybe 200 for a used one) . It won't rust as easy and my local store still has ammo and at 8.99 a box still fairly cheap and thats jsp plus only have one magazine all I need. I never leave a gun in the truck when I'm not in it not at this day and time.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    The voices in my head keep saying "Build, Build, Build"

I'm work on number 7 & 8 right now and and trying to convince myself that 8 is enough but not winning the argument.

I hear voices that say buy one, buy one, buy one already Bill. While the voice in my other ear says you don't have the money Bill. I hate that voice in my left year.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    That was my point.

Back when you could get a decent lower level AR for maybe 5-600 bucks and 223 was 4-5 bucks a box of 20 and there was scads of cheap surplus from all over the world coming in...yes..having an AR was appealing. Buy one and blaze away...woo hoo.

Flash foreward to today and if you don't have an AR, the 1000-1300 dollar basic AR and 8-10 dollar a box crap ammo and the hunt for said ammo and mags and no, sorry, but getting an AR is less appelaing than ever, if you ask me.

Ditto for the Mini-14. Again...when they were 400 bucks new and the 223 situation and cost was better....yeah...pick one up and have fun. Today, a new Mini-14 runs 750 bucks and then theres the mag and ammo issues. Again...not worth it if you ask me.

If you already bought your AR back when prices were somewhat sane...enjoy it. However, there are cheaper rifles to buy and shoot for hours on the range than the AR-15.

Hopefully this will change someday....but I don't see it in the horizon.

Trust me...nobody prays harder for an end to the ammo situation and the return of cheap fodder more than me. LOL

- brickboy240

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    I fired my first M-16 back in 1997 and fell in love. I finally broke down last year and bought a S&W AR-15. I have been buying accessories here and there. I don't know if I can shell out $400 + for some optics though...

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    I thought about getting an AR/EBR but fell in love with a Marlin 336C 30-30 and took her home instead.

Price was $450/w tax NIB from Sportsmans Warehouse. Complete AR's are going for $1200+. Plus, I don't have to "accessorize" her like an AR and spend MORE money.

Bluesoma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    I somehow caught the fever for EBRs, don't know how though because I was way more interested in WW2 firearms than the new fangled stuff like the AR-15. Hell, I used to think the M-16/AR-15 was one of the ugliest guns out there. Then somehow I fell in love with the G36, bought a SL8. And slowly my collection of guns have gone from wood to black. Even broke down and bought an AR-15, especially when I found out how fun it can be just customizing it.

Top Bottom