• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DamnYankee76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Blanco
    Anyone here good with car audio wiring? Bought a used Suburban and the front speakers don't work. Looked under dash and there's some cut wires. Also found a two prong plug that is under the carpet and runs to behind the center of the dash. Wondering if anyone would want to help dive into it, that has knowledge of this stuff and likes free beer and food. I live in Blanco but I could even come to you if you have the tools and stuff. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Do the wires look factory? Is it an aftermarket head unit? Have you made sure the fade wasn't set to all rear? After checking the fade, I'd do a continuity check with a meter on the wires you found. Of course, that means you'll have to access the speakers that aren't working. Set the meter to continuity, and put one lead on the wire you found under the dash and the other lead on the wire connecting to the speaker. If it beeps, you've found your problem. If it doesn't beep, then start testing the other wires connected to the head unit until you find it. If it's connected, and assuming to the proper output, then it might be a head unit failure.

xd.40

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    dallas tx
    if it is an after market head unit:

you can also check for a possible bad speaker by un-doing your door panel and connecting a spare small "test speaker" to check if the original speaker is good. if the "test speaker" works then you have bad speakers.

if the "test speaker" does not work you may have a bad connection from head unit to speaker. so to test that you can run a wire from head unit to original speaker if it works then all you have to do now is run the wire through the panels and door to your speaker. I've had after market sound systems for as long as I've been driving and this is usually the case. somehow the wire gets pinched or rusts and you have no signal to your speakers.

Hope I made as much sense as i think I'm making. good luck hope you get it to work.

DamnYankee76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Blanco
    Hey guys, thanks for the info! I started digging into it and it looks like there was a pretty serious system installed and they just started cutting stuff out. That explains why the front speakers weren't working. They ain't connected to nothing! It has the factory stuff in it. After putting everything back together for the night the head unit just stopped working. Gonna check the fuses another day. I really hate electrical/audio issues in cars!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    If I remember correctly tan/grey wires left front, light green/dark green right front. If the head unit still lights up but no sound, it could mean you have a short in the speaker leads. What year is the suburban?

DamnYankee76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Blanco
    It's an 02. It was a fuse that blew. I ended up running new speaker wires to the front doors. Ran into other issues with the factory head unit so I'm going to swap it out with an Alpine I have from my old truck. Ordered all the stuff yesterday, so should be able to get it in next weekend.

Top Bottom