DK Firearms

Car/SUV battery, what to buy . . what to avoid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    2013 Highlander I bought used with 3.5L V6. I've put @75K miles on it and never a problem, even during February 2021's snowmagedon until today when I ran the radio for 1.5hrs and she wouldn't start.

The battery is taking a charge and the Camroid started after just a few minutes charge at 50amps but it's time for a new battery, what do you recommend?
    Lynx Defense

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I read most of these threads but times have changed, right?

There is only one battery: Odyssey This is what I run: https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/34m-pc1500st/batteries_marine?pp=25

I have one that is 15 years old and still cookin. I had 2 other that were over 10 years old and I put them in my RV for the guy who bought it, he still has them in there, that makes them about 14 years old. I use the Grp 34 Marine in my RV.

Optima, made in Mexico and as long as you got salsa in them they are ok, but they do take a siesta when you need them the most..had a near new Blue Top take a dump and the end of a hard trail in Moab, the wrong time for a battery to take a dump, shorted cell. Switched to Odyssey and have never looked back.

Yea they are pricey, but when they last over 10 years you got your money's worth and then some.

Good don't come cheap and cheap don't come good.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I have had good luck with Auto Zone Premium batteries for my diesel. ( good service and warranty) My cars get Sam’s cheapest ( Duracel ) and have given good service.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    10+ years ago and for decades prior, I bought only Sears Diehard batteries, mainly because Consumer Reports consistently gave them high ratings on multiple categories. Now that Advance Auto Parts owns the Diehard brand, can anyone give positive or negative feedback on the battery?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    10+ years ago and for decades prior, I bought only Sears Diehard batteries, mainly because Consumer Reports consistently gave them high ratings on multiple categories. Now that Advance Auto Parts owns the Diehard brand, can anyone give positive or negative feedback on the battery?

I used to sell batteries - you have to look at the manufacturer, more so than the brand label. Stores go with who they get the best deals from. I've seen Die Hard batteries that were Johnson Controls (Interstate) batteries, and Die Hards that were East Penn (Deka) batteries.

Personally I would avoid batteries made by Exide like the plague - we sold Exide batteries when I first started, the warranty returns on them were just too high, we dropped them for East Penn, and the warranty rate dropped into the mid single digits as opposed to 15+ percent of the Exides.

The last Duracel label batts I saw were East Penn, along with the last Sears / K Mart sold Die Hard batteries.

Personally I would go with a Johnson Controls (Interstate) or East Penn battery. Like Axxe said - get the best battery you can afford - the highest CCA rating. Your Highlander should take a group 24F/24R battery. 24F's, 51R's and 35's are the most common battery sizes. FYI - most cars that take a 24F/24R can take a 35 - they're typically identical in CCA rating in their given price class, but the 35 is about an inch narrower. As long as you have long enough cables, its a non-issue. I haven't seen a Toyota that couldn't take a 35 if it was spec'd for 24F. Some Hondas, however, had cables just long enough for the exact battery it was spec'd for.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I always buy the premium store brand. That said I haven't bought a battery in years.

As for die hard, Sears sold off the brand names not requirements for quality. An example is the craftsman brand at lowes. Stanley now makes those hand tools for lowes. While Stanley isnt cheap roll the dice swap meet no name tools I dont consider them old time craftsman quality.

I got a couple screwdrivers to replace and dont even know if they honor the warranty.

But as for diehard I would ask if them the warranty.

If I was going to buy a battery for a long term it would be Optima

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I always buy the premium store brand. That said I haven't bought a battery in years.

As for die hard, Sears sold off the brand names not requirements for quality. An example is the craftsman brand at lowes. Stanley now makes those hand tools for lowes. While Stanley isnt cheap roll the dice swap meet no name tools I dont consider them old time craftsman quality.

I got a couple screwdrivers to replace and dont even know if they honor the warranty.

But as for diehard I would ask if them the warranty.

If I was going to buy a battery for a long term it would be Optima
    I took a broken ratchet to Lowe’s and they replaced it at no charge.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I used to sell batteries - you have to look at the manufacturer, more so than the brand label. Stores go with who they get the best deals from. I've seen Die Hard batteries that were Johnson Controls (Interstate) batteries, and Die Hards that were East Penn (Deka) batteries.

Personally I would avoid batteries made by Exide like the plague - we sold Exide batteries when I first started, the warranty returns on them were just too high, we dropped them for East Penn, and the warranty rate dropped into the mid single digits as opposed to 15+ percent of the Exides.

The last Duracel label batts I saw were East Penn, along with the last Sears / K Mart sold Die Hard batteries.

Personally I would go with a Johnson Controls (Interstate) or East Penn battery. Like Axxe said - get the best battery you can afford - the highest CCA rating. Your Highlander should take a group 24F/24R battery. 24F's, 51R's and 35's are the most common battery sizes. FYI - most cars that take a 24F/24R can take a 35 - they're typically identical in CCA rating in their given price class, but the 35 is about an inch narrower. As long as you have long enough cables, its a non-issue. I haven't seen a Toyota that couldn't take a 35 if it was spec'd for 24F. Some Hondas, however, had cables just long enough for the exact battery it was spec'd for.
    Costco sells interstate - or at least they did last time I had to buy a battery a few years back

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston

Since you used to sell them, do you happen to know if the branding is like mattresses and oil filters? ie: 2 or 3 manufacturers making all of the 20 or 30 different brands with the only difference being the brand sticker on the outside of the battery?

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Many years ago, I worked in a gas station when they were service stations. The pile of dead batteries in the back room waiting for recycle was about 90% Diehards. Some were good, but some "died hard".

Get the battery with the best cranking amps rating. They tend to hold up longer than the lesser batteries. Since your battery died after some pretty minor usage (1.5 hours of radio?), I think you should check the charging system as well. Any of the auto parts stores will check that for you for free. It's possible that it's not putting out enough amps to get the battery fully charged. The more likely case, of course, is that you just have a bad cell and the radio usage just finally finished it off, but charging systems do sometimes go bad.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I would not replace a normal (flooded) battery with an AGM. AGM's need a smart charging system and top out properly at a little less voltage than an older alternator system puts out.

Otherwise shop price and warranty.
    I notice 3 year free replacement warranty has become 18 months. And prices are way up from a few years ago. I've been battery shopping recently too. So far Walmart has my battery size for at least a 30% discount to the auto parts stores.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I just put two Motorcraft batteries in my work truck. The guy at O'Reilly's recommended them over their store brand.

A battery is a battery.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Over the past 15+ years, any battery I buy dies at either 3 or 4 years no matter the brand or warranty. I just buy what's rated well and load test them 3 or 4 times a year. Once they get down below 75% of their rating, I replace them and I haven't been stuck with a dead battery in many years. Son-in-law did have his die on a Volkswagen and it was down to 40%, surprised it had started the prior day.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I use to stick Optimas in everything. Still have a red top in my Frontier going strong since 2016. Not sure if they are still as good as they use to be, but for years everyone swore by them.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've been buying the Diehard batteries from Advance Auto, but the last one I bought about a year ago started leaking voltage after a few months. It was the gold series. They wouldn't make it good. Said it just needed charging, even tho I had just charged it 4 days prior. So I went to O'Reilly's and bought one of their premium batteries. So far, so good. But no more Advance Auto for me.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I buy the largest battery that will fit my battery tray, has the most CCAs and is usually the most economical. They have always given me good service. My wife bought a 3 year battery from a AAA call and it lasted 3 years and 1 month.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    A few years ago, I got sick of the hassles associated with using crappy cheap batteries, and started buying Interstate batteries from the Interstate Battery store near me for all my cars, trucks, tractors, lawnmowers and my Kubota RTV.

They cost a little more but I’ve had really good luck with them. And, seriously, what’s another $20 for something I’m going to depend on the start my vehicles?

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I tried Interstate for my truck once. Same thought process as you. Interstate did not outlast the Auto Zone batteries I had used and the warranty was a hassle. ( was probably the dealer I had used).

Top Bottom